SAU Community

V36 Band Expander Install Guide

30ONA

Whenever you do a mod to your car it's handy to have some insuctions if you've not done it before, so I thought I'd make this tech article.

This shows how to install a band expander for your radio if you have an imported V36.

Also i have a question for someone with more knowledge on this than me. After the above install I did get more radio channels but they are not very crisp. Any thoughts?

Frequency band expander install for imported Japanese radio in a V36.

Allow 45min. for first timers.

1. Tools:

Phillips head screw driver

Small flat screwdriver for undoing cable plugs.

P1050296_zps7e25cf48.jpg

2. Parts: Frequency or

band expander (this one is

from synergy) $50

delivered in a few days

P1050292_zps65d9d959.jpg

This is the old style and

won’t work on the V36,

more suited to the 300zx

etc. I Found out after I

had already removed the

radio. Wrong connectors

P1050293_zps93b298b4.jpg

Step 1. park the car somewhere shady, open the windows and doors. Now disconnect the battery negative terminal.

Step 2. Gently push down on the plastic sheath

on the shift boot.P1050278_zps98bf91d8.jpg

Step 3. Unclip the shift know clip, carefully as this

can spring off and disappear as it is a kind of

spring clip.

P1050279_zps20d5e4ed.jpg

Step 4. Roll down the shift boot,

there is a small looped piece of

wire inside the boot which holds

it on. Notice it will have a pointy

side, it is not round. Later when

you get the shift shroud off

remove this wire and squeeze it

closed a bit. This will tighten it

for re-installation later on. See

the second pic also.

P1050280_zps29c7a484.jpg

underside later

P1050297_zps7d7bcc25.jpg

Step 5. Slide the shift knob

off, try not to touch the

white part as it has grease on

it.

P1050281_zpseb1de4df.jpg

Step 6. Put you’re your

fingers into the boot as

shown and pull back and

slightly up, not hard, two

fingers should be enough.

P1050282_zpsd0c3ce75.jpg

Lift the shroud up a bit. You

will notice it fowls on the

shift lever.

Reach under the shroud and

pres the white square under

where the shift lock is. Now

you can move the shifter

back to N and lift off the

shroud. See third and fourth

pic also for step 6.

P1050283_zpscdede918.jpg

P1050284_zps37a3b29b.jpg

Carefully unclip the two electrical connectors and place the shroud somewhere safe.

P1050285_zpsf07c0834.jpg

Step 7. Now you are left with this.

Next remove these two screws at the bottom outside corners of the radio facia.

P1050286_zps76d31bf3.jpg

Then lift out as shown.

P1050287_zpsf6b6d193.jpg

Undo harnesses

Now undo the three wire connectors.

The flat screw driver can help push

Down the clips to allow them to be

removed.

P1050288_zpse4b333ae.jpg

Step 8. Remove the next two

screws under the airon/TV screen facia

P1050289_zps8aabe400.jpg

Lift out the display surround from

the bottom first.

Now you can see this

P1050291_zpsd81c93e0.jpg

Step 9. remove these two screws

under the screen, they held the screen and the radio housing.

P1050291_zpsd81c93e0.jpg

And the two screws under the

radio unit.

P1050290_zps5fee65cc.jpg

Step 10. Pull the radio unit

forward, the plug your looking

for is on the right hand side of

the back of the unit. In this

picture you can see it after I have

disconnected it. This one is a bit

tricky as the unit is still held in

with a heap of other wire

connectors, so just be patient with

it, don’t want to break anything

in there.

P1050294_zps34bc3ea9.jpg

Now simply connect the band

Expander to this connector, and

The other end to the radio unit.

Tuck the expander module in

behind the radio, I put mine in

the space beside the radio unit

and the relays on the drivers side.

Now just put it all back together

in the reverse order.

P1050295_zpsc8f8c349.jpg

Sorry about the poor cut and paste method of displaying the above. I did in word but the file was 74Mb and I have word 2000 so can't compress the files :P

So still trying to find out how to improve the clarity of the stations though.

Well I moved the expander housing to behind the HU instead of next to it and the relays. Thought the relays may have been interfeeing with the reception, no. Didn't fix the problem. But after I had put it back together I though I'd check the expander was connected properly. It was, but what I noticed which I didn't notice when I installed it, is that the stock wire harness connector has three wires and the band expander only has two. So I'm guessing that this wire that is missing from the band expander is some sort of AC power wire. Hence I have the same problem most have where the power to the antenna is not properly connected. More research is needed. Need to install a wire on the band expander to try it out.

Original harness.

P1050307_zpsc5a37dac.jpg

It's the large black wire (near my thunmb) that is missing from the band expander.

The band expander harness

P1050309_zpsed8c73a4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so problem solved. I was correct, the missing wire in the band expander is required. I was able to diconnect the existing wire from the existing harness and connect it to the new harness. Then connected the band expander using the OEM plugs and Bobs your uncle, I now have a working radio. I have photos but photo bucket is not works. Also if anyone is thinking of buying from Synergy there is nothing wrong with this product. You can still make it works plug and play. Also might I add their customer service is great.

• 3 months later...

Well I was wrong. The fix only seemed to work because where the car is parked in the garage seems to get good reception. As soon as I drive around it comes in and out.

• 4 weeks later...

SO I bought another band expander this time with a power wire. Connected the power wire to the violet cable on one of the hard drive harnesses that showed 12v when ACC on. Check with multi meter and there was power to the band expander when acc on. Put it all back together and I have no radio signal at all.

To make thinks worse i pulled it appart to check again but had been fiddleing round with the multimeter in between. Wen I checked again with the multimeter from the body of the radio housing to the power wire there was a tiny spark now I have nothing in the centre consol working. No ac, no dispay on the touch screen and no radio. I've checked all the fuses I can find, drivers foot well and near the battery, all fine.

Please help.

Ive checked every fuse on the car and they are all ok, including the ipdm fuses. Just had another look and there still seems to be some power to the harness on other wires. Perhaps the repair is a simple bypass of the wire I fried?

Chris will try to get the missus to bring the car up during the week.

• 3 weeks later...

See you in the morning.

Chris has fixed the lot, thanks.

Chris the auto retract seat function is just turned on an off by holding the set button on the door till the lights on 1 and 2 buttons flash then go out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this same expander and have installed it as above incl changing the wires, Although it is only expanding the width by 12mhz. The expander has 18mhz written on it. Am i doing something wrong or is it the wrong expander?