SAU Community

Front Mount Intercooler In A N/a Worth It?

Hi all,

I have a R33 gts-t that was converted to non-turbo as per p-plate laws.

However the stock cooler that's in there at the moment is pretty average & will soon need replacing.

I plan on putting a turbo back into the car eventually, so I was wondering if it's worth putting a front mount in it now getting it ready for a turbo, instead of waiting till the turbo gets put back in?

I didn't really see a problem with this, but I'm new, so I thought I'd ask for any advice/opinions!

Cheers,

Alex

It's just a restriction u don't need and as the airs not being forced in the intercooler will have minimal effect on intake temp, in all honesty mate its just a restriction and its a simple thing to do later on...

It will work using a return flow but powerwise, may even lose a bit :)

Edit: so u de turboed a gtst, welcome to the world of low comp Natro horribleness... I warn u now do not race anything as a corolla will tramp u lol. Also as it is factory a turbo your car is still illegal for u to drive on ur ps... Regardless weather it has a turbo or not (yes I know it's a stupid law) so u may aswell put the turbo back on as its the same fine :P

Edited by Captain Natro

So you don't think it's worth it? I just wasn't too sure about it.

Talking power wise, it's not too bad for an N/A. It flogged an xr6 ute the other day off the line, not sure whether it was because the other driver couldn't shift or not haha.

What do you mean I'm not allowed to drive it?

Yeah I'm definitely not expert, so I was just putting it out there!

So you don't think it's worth it? I just wasn't too sure about it.

Talking power wise, it's not too bad for an N/A. It flogged an xr6 ute the other day off the line, not sure whether it was because the other driver couldn't shift or not haha.

What do you mean I'm not allowed to drive it?

Yeah I'm definitely not expert, so I was just putting it out there!

Ok, the car is registered as a gtst so it dosent matter if you take the turbo off or not, if ur restricted to a non turbo u can't have a factory turbo registered car, regardless of weather u have the turbo attached or not (yes it's dumb)

Plus as turbo motors run a lower compression ratio (google this) then a non turbo motor they will make alot less power when compared to a factory rb25de (compared to a de turboed rb25det)

.... Unfortunately Natro motors require hi comp to make power and as uve essentially got a low comp rb using a Natro induction method your going to make sfa power (which is fine if your not interested in power) but as a heads up your going be down at least 20rwkw compared to a factory non turbo 25... Which only make about 100rwkw to star with so.... Yeah

Ok, the car is registered as a gtst so it dosent matter if you take the turbo off or not, if ur restricted to a non turbo u can't have a factory turbo registered car, regardless of weather u have the turbo attached or not (yes it's dumb)

Plus as turbo motors run a lower compression ratio (google this) then a non turbo motor they will make alot less power when compared to a factory rb25de (compared to a de turboed rb25det)

.... Unfortunately Natro motors require hi comp to make power and as uve essentially got a low comp rb using a Natro induction method your going to make sfa power (which is fine if your not interested in power) but as a heads up your going be down at least 20rwkw compared to a factory non turbo 25... Which only make about 100rwkw to star with so.... Yeah

Yeah that's fair enough, but the car was fully complied & swapped when I got it, I've been pulled over by police before & they've checked it out. I guess if they didn't know it was a turbo to start with the couldn't tell.

That's fair enough, I'll have a talk to my mechanic & see what he says.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

Well no, the car feels fairly quick. I mean the car I inherited before it was a slug. The only other skyline I've been in is a twin turbo R32 GT-R. So I don't have much to compare it too. But it kills all my friends straight & v6's. It pulled with a VE SS ute the other day. It's had minor things done to it, but you know. Pulls hard upwards from 3,000rpm.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

Well no, the car feels fairly quick. I mean the car I inherited before it was a slug. The only other skyline I've been in is a twin turbo R32 GT-R. So I don't have much to compare it too. But it kills all my friends straight & v6's. It pulled with a VE SS ute the other day. It's had minor things done to it, but you know. Pulls hard upwards from 3,000rpm.

Hmm, interesting... My Natro got walked by basically everything in a straight line lol

Hmm, interesting... My Natro got walked by basically everything in a straight line lol

Well mine seems to be doing quite well!

Are you sure it hasn't got the turbo?????

Haha, a couple of my friends said that too. Makes a distinct noise, assuming it's just the cold air intake, can't see a turbo! Plus the boost gauge doesn't register.