SAU Community

V36 Nav And Language Swap - Faq

before everyone gets excited..

I am getting 8-10 calls a week about fixing language , maps and changing the system.

figured I would pop this together for those of you that are looking at these cars for daily use.

this is a NAVIGATION one.

Nissan_Skyline_V36_6.jpg

if you look CLOSELY there are multiple buttons below the screen.

referencing these cars by model WILL NOT mean they are sold automatically with navi. NAVI IS AN OPTION like everything else in the car.

the navi version can be fitted with 1,2 or 3 cameras . commonly there are two.

Bluetooth is standard with navigation system in these cars. HOWEVER if you have a Iphone or any other smart phone with inflexible firmware and want you use it with this system you are going to have a bad day. the firmware is locked to the production date of 2008 or 2009 and the current firmware in today's devices are TOTALLY different to what is in the car.

forget about using USDM units - entirely different. Button swaps are out as well. they are 180 deg out and will not work correctly without a few other changes

cliff notes:

system is a great selling point but TOTALLY useless here and it cannot be modified for local use.

This is a NON navi version.

167851_10150172108489942_2341832_n.jpg

This car CAN be modifed to have navi and WORKING bluetooth AND as many cameras as you like on it.

the navi is garmin based AND touch screen maps are upgradeable via a USB socket in the car.

179346_10150172108259942_2393295_n.jpg

Ipod integration IS possible in this car unlike the bose version and the audio system in this car plays PLENTY loud for an OEM system.

this car had full leather and was available as a paddle shift auto OR 6spd manual. (this was a SP btw.)

hopefully this clears up a few things and nets a few less questions overall.

Chris your assistance & advice on this forum is invaluable & not unappreciated.

Guess I'm Shit out of luck with my factory fitted navi :( not a big issue for me at the end of the day

C'est La Vie

PJ,

thanks!!

thing being I put this information out as experience from working on these cars daily. Whilst I do not mind answering quick questions on the phone about the V36, I still get the odd call from those that have read every aspect of this forum regarding the NAvi / langusage issue with these cars. most ask if the system can be set to english to which I say no.

if there is a software engineer around that can code in posix and is willing to share their work then the language swap may happen but I seriously doubt it.

hopefully the above post rectifies those type of questions.

One thing I have yet to try on a NON NAVI car is fixing the FM radio using the non nav USDM radio.

next non nav car I get I will try it.

Hi Chris,

As I said in the other thread I have been looking for a PV36SP and every single one seems to have the factory Nav.

If I just give up looking for a AUS car, and get Iron Chef or someone to source one for me, your saying it should be possible to find a non-navi one. Will it only have the reversing camera? or was that and the mirror camera part of the Nav pack?

Nick.

easier to bring one in. set chef on a mission and away you go. they have NO camera on them as standard with the non navigation car. these cars are a LOT easier to modify and to be honest my pick for local consumption here.

they do exist and are common in japan.

Hey Chris,

What about the common question of converting the HUD to english? Saw someone on carsales that converted the HUD to english and there is a thread that someone started recently asking the same thing about that same car on carsales. Just waiting for you to reply to it. :-)

Rgds,

Khai

Hi there, came across this forum after ordering a V36 250GT Type S from Japan (Im in NZ). From the pics I got of the car, I think I have no side mirror camera or boot camera so therefore no NAVI system?

When you say the non NAVI car can be modified to have NAVI and bluetooth etc do you mean you can add this option and it be in english?

Some more questions

Assuming you can add a NAVI option in English could this actually go so far as to hook up to GPS sattelites in NZ or is this just to covert the language to english.

When you say connect IPod to the NAVI system do you mean via bluetooth? and if so could this also support Android conenctivity?

Are there any how to guides around for the Non NAVI to English NAVI change?

Edited by Gnome73

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the FAQ. Will help me alot when deciding if i should upgrade to a v36 or not.

When you say "Working bluetooth" does this include being able to stream music/audio from an iphone via a2dp?

This car CAN be modifed to have navi and WORKING bluetooth AND as many cameras as you like on it.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the FAQ. Will help me alot when deciding if i should upgrade to a v36 or not.

When you say "Working bluetooth" does this include being able to stream music/audio from an iphone via a2dp?

it does indeed.

Hi there, came across this forum after ordering a V36 250GT Type S from Japan (Im in NZ). From the pics I got of the car, I think I have no side mirror camera or boot camera so therefore no NAVI system?

When you say the non NAVI car can be modified to have NAVI and bluetooth etc do you mean you can add this option and it be in english?

Some more questions

Assuming you can add a NAVI option in English could this actually go so far as to hook up to GPS sattelites in NZ or is this just to covert the language to english.

When you say connect IPod to the NAVI system do you mean via bluetooth? and if so could this also support Android conenctivity?

Are there any how to guides around for the Non NAVI to English NAVI change?

whilst I am not going to have a shot at you for not reading the top post - yes it will work and yes it can be made to do what ever you like. maps are the sore point with this system - mapping on the unit I use is garmin. they have NZ maps.

ipod is done via direct control from the radio. BT can be done the same way with streaming.

I do the lot as a kit anyway.

no guides around - its primarily me and prob one or two others around the country that are doing this. I am the only one really reworking the non navi ones.

Thanks Chris, I read your OP many times and guess i was stuck on the question of what was in english and what wasn't i.e. i've had cars in the past where the system has been localised but some system menus etc remains in japanese. Sorry about that.

Here is a pic of my NAV system which is the non NAVI one :woot:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3zpwkecWS1HVkxOVVBxOEdVMWs/edit?usp=sharing

So next question given that I am in NZ is there any chance I could work with you to get it converted to English?

• 3 weeks later...

A note to all those that Are contacting me via PM regarding this thread:

If you have purchased a OEM NAVI car . I CANNOT change the language for you. Please do not ask.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-skyline-2007-14298925?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%201216&find=v36%20english%7cCarAll&silo=Stock&num=15&sort=default

Most requests are in reference to this car that I built in 2011 for a customer in Perth. The car was complied here in Brisbane then sent to me for the work

Look closely. This is a NON NAV version with custom electronics the put all of that on the screen and make it work. The OEM NAVI car is a totally different system and not easily modified without a SERIOUS cash injection and parts from the CURRENT local market car.

Hopefully this makes sense.

I am happy to build another car like the one linked above but it is not worth doing a OEM NAVI car unless you want to spend a mid 4 figure sum on it as a start.

On a different not cruise control on these I can do to OEM and I now have a 6spd calibration. Inbox me for this. Do not discuss it in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

further point on this for those that insist on asking about fixing the nav/language (even though I have already said no several times ..) :)

from the 2013 local infiniti you will need:

front panel,

display,

top control panel,

AC controller above radio

radio,navi unit

and about $10k.

make sense? :)

• Like 3

Sorry to be maybe asking stupid questions, but I am thinking of buying one of these in the near future..

What exactly can you use on these systems as they roll of the boat???

I realise that all the buttons and menus are in japanese but can you even use the fm radio??

• Like 1