SAU Community

The Difference Between Differentials

Burnz

Some of the R34s had the speed sensor on the diff. These diff housings are different, (as far as I know).

Otherwise though, a Nissan CW&P set from one R200 will work equally well in another R200 housing. The bearings should also be the same.

Some R34s were helical, not viscous. I cannot vouch for whether the side bearings on these are the same as their crappy brethren, but there's not real reason why they should be different.

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK know.

R33 GTST:

ABS has speed sensor on nose - diff housing is longer

NON-ABS has no speed sensor and shorter diff housing

All have 29mm, 30 spline output shafts (same as S13-S14, R32)

R34 GTT:

All have speed sensors on output shafts. Diff are the same length as R33 NON-ABS.

Series 1 have viscous

Series 2 (manual, turbo ONLY) have helical centre

All have 30mm, 31 spline output shafts (same as S15 BUT 5-bolt).

Therefore you CAN swap a R34 GTT diff into an R33 as long as the R33 is non-ABS. You CANNOT swap the centres from an R34 into anything R33, R32, S14, S13 as the output shafts are 1mm larger on the R34 and S15.

Some of this is, as yet, unconfirmed.

Edited by simpletool

Thanks simpletool... I have the series 1 GTT, I know the half shaft's on the the S15 are different, but can I put the diff centre from one into my GTT? I think their helical, does that matter?

Just to throw some confusion into all that.....I put a helical centre that was supposed to have come from an S15 (had S chassis 3.7 gears on it) that strangely came in an S14 housing into my R32 housing, using 4.11 gears from an R34 VLSD.

Granted, I used the 3x2 stud half shafts that came with the helical centre, so I don't know for sure if the spline count and diameter were different from the R32/3/4 sized ones. But it went into an R32 housing OK.

If it helps I put an R34 manual GTT diff into my non-abs R33 yesterday. Fitted up no problems.

Well actually there was a problem because the whiteline pinion mount bushes were slightly too small ID but it all got sorted with the help of an angle grinder.

Thanks simpletool... I have the series 1 GTT, I know the half shaft's on the the S15 are different, but can I put the diff centre from one into my GTT? I think their helical, does that matter?

Apparently this does work. As both diffs have the 30mm, 31 spline output/half-shafts, which the centres on S15 and R34 are made for. I have no real proof of this however, but it is something I am also looking at doing one-day.

• 1 year later...

dont nismo centers their own non-standard stub axles?

Sort of. They actually use the same stubs. It's just that where a normal diff has one long and one short, the Nismo ones used two of the same. I think. Something like that anyway.

What exactly do I need to fit a s15 helical centre into my S1 stagea diff then? Centre only, or are the stub axles different too? And what about the c/w bolting up? Same size bolts? I'm assuming I should be ok if I use the centre, bearings and stub axles?