SAU Community

Circuit Racing Thread

Snowman

There's a 285 page Tarmac Rally thread which I have to admit was a great help and also a great motivational tool for me to get into doing Tarmac Rallies. I found out things in that thread which I didn't know about which helped me make the decision to get involved in the first place.

Personally after 4 years of doing Tarmac Rallies I've decided to look at Circuit Racing mostly because of a desire to one day race at Bathurst.

So I thought I'd start up this thread as a place for people to talk about circuit racing - both in what they are going to do or if they are like me and are thinking about getting involved what they need to do or even what they CAN do in a certain car. There are a number of guys on these forums who have done plenty of racing before so it would be great if they could pop in here with both thoughts, answers and events they have up-coming.

My plan is to get involved in the Sports Car series with the hopeful aim of running at the Bathurst Motor Festival @ Easter next year. The R35 GT-R was recently added to the eligible cars in Group 2B/2F Sports Cars and the fact was it was almost nothing different regs wise to run an R35 in Sports Cars as to what it is under Tarmac Rally regs (I can do a lot MORE under 2B regs than we can under Tarmac Rally regs). But I could run in Sports Cars under fully Tarmac Rally specs with just the addition of a window net and slicks.

I'm not 100% sure on what else Skylines / GT-R's can run under - hopefully some other experts come in and let us all know. I think they can run with the AASA Super TT's and in Improved Prpoduction but with restrictors. Personally I think the Sport Car regs are great for all GT-R's - as it should also be noted that even though R32-R34's are not on the 2B/2F eligibility list all of the Victorian, QLD and NSW Sports Car series are now allowing older GT-R's to run (as well as all models of BMW M3's and the Holden Monaro) if they are built to 2B regs.

But an RB28 powered, sequential gearboxed light-weight GT-R on slicks can run in this class. And would be some fun!

Anyways - my car is now 2B log booked and I've just received my PC license in the mail. It should also be noted now that getting your PC license is easier if you've been doing any form of club sprints / tarmac rallies. If you have done 2x tarmac rallies or 5 x club sprints in the previous 2 years you no longer need to complete an OLT to get your license. Also the lecture is now available on-line so getting my PC was a piece of cake personally.

My plan now is to run a few more track days over the next 2 months to get the set-up done on the car (ran on slicks for the first time last month which is taking some getting used to) with the aim of running in my first event at Rnd 3 of the VSCRC at Sandown on July 20-21.

What else are people up to?

I know a fair few people who have raced and prepping cars for the Pulsar Challenge Racing Series (much better than Excel cup) and I'd love to get involved. Looks like heaps of fun not being hugely competitve and relatively cheap to get going. Engine explodes? just get another one, clean it up and chuck it in. Very tight regs though, only thing that isnt stock or controlled is exhaust and cooling.

Excel Cup looks like great fun. It's coming to Vic next year as well to run at Winton. A couple of us have talked about putting some car together for it for a laugh.

I wouldnt mind finding a catagory to suit the R34 once it is finally setup and enjoy some amatuer racing, I do not have the seat time or the cash to do anything serious but to get it on the track is certainly the aim!

I'm going to run iRace in the Muscle Car division in my GTR. Currently getting logbooked as a sports sedan. Doesn't sounds like there's much restriction on GTR's for 2B?

Regs for 2B are here:

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/02_race/c.%202nd%20Category/RA17_Group_2B_2013-1.pdf

Aero is a little limited but otherwise you can build a very nice GT-R to these regs. But you can also run for fun in a pretty basic one.

Sports car fields are very diverse with everything from full GT cars to Porsche 944's and MX5's all running together. So somewhere along the line you will find someone in the field to have some fun with :)

Can someone explain the in above regs what they are saying in 4.6 exhaust? Seems stock turbos/ housings are only permitted, is that correct?

Fine if you could run -5 and not be noticed in a gtr, but GTT or my lil sr20 might be hard to keep up.

Pretty much correct.

BUT also I'm not sure that GTST/GTT or any of the 180SX/S14/S15 are actually eligible.

Except for the Nispro 200SX-R which I couldn't actually tell you what that is.

Eligible cars are here: - http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/02_race/c.%202nd%20Category/RA18_Group_2B-2F_EligibleVehicles_2013-1.pdf

Plus the additional cars listed in the 2013 National series Sup Regs here: http://prodsports.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/PRODSPORTS-2013-CUE-SPORTSCAR-ENDURO-HANDBOOK-Draft-awaiting-CAMS-approval.pdf

That being said I think if you had any 2 door coupe and applied to the organisers they would let you run.

Ive just started in the HQ series. Have only done 4 rounds so far but having a great time. Have just finished getting it ready for this weekend at Sandown

IMAG0008_zps5ce0a6d5.jpg

Edited by dasic1

MRA (MX5 challenge and superTT) and FoSC Racer here...

looking to do enduro's next year with Wakefield 300 and Modern Sports Cars.

3rd year doing Mx5 challenge.

started off doing sprints.

$100 a year for the national AASA circuit licence plus a medical.

my car is AASA and CAMs log booked but CBF doing any CAMS events. too expensive.

Excel Cup looks like great fun. It's coming to Vic next year as well to run at Winton. A couple of us have talked about putting some car together for it for a laugh.

Would the Excels used in the Victorian Excel Championship (Dirt Rally) be legal for circuit use as well? ... One car; multiple forms of racing; cheap as chips for replacement parts ...

Not sure since effectively the only mods allowed in the circuit category are exhaust and roll cage/seats etc. I'd presume you'd want to look at suspension at a minimum in gravel rallies?

From what I have read so far abou the excel series is that rally car to circuit won't comply but circuit car to rally will comply

Excel series like snowman has stated, only mods allowed are controlled, suspension, tyres, extractors are all controlled

• 1 month later...