SAU Community

Project: No More Injuries...hopefully

r31slpr

How's it going guys, my name's Shaun.

I've been hanging around this section for a while and figure i should start a thread to keep me motivated. Not expecting anybody to read this, but I'm on here so often it will be forced to update it and make progress haha

The Back Story:

Always been overweight but semi active with no major injuries, moved to perth a few years ago and got lazy and got hurt.

Still not sure what happened but I managed to chip a piece of bone off the back of my patella and it was floating around in my knee for a while, saw a physio who thought it was a muscular problem.

After going back a few times he sent me for a ct scan which confirmed what i had originally thought. Waited nearly a year for surgery, they cleaned up some cartilage while they were in there, but when i woke up the surgeon said they couldn't find anything but may have come out in suction. It didn't.

Got an mri bone was still in there waited nearly a year to the day for another surgery, finally got the bone out.

In between all this I screwed my shoulder, roofing and stormy weather don't mix well.

Had an epiphany that strong people don't get injured as easily? Might not be true but makes sense to me.

tl;dr

Got hurt didn't like it, strong people are harder to injure.

Have been going to the gym for a while, mostly doing rehab stuff, will now move onto some strength stuff.

I wont bother adding the bar weight because i don't know what it is.

Basic 3x5 program i guess

Im not as completely ocd as some of the people on here and don't remember my warm up numbers so i'll just put up working sets

Stats:

Height:188cm

Weight:circa 100kg

30/07/2013

Sets-Reps-Kg

Squat: 4x5@40 (did 4 sets because no warm up, was on the rower for ages waiting for the rack to free up.

Row: 3x5@40

MP: 3x5@35

Edited by r31slpr

Thanks, its loosely based on starting strength, which I chose because its fairly lower body orientated. Ive modified it to suit my needs, its probably not ideal but I'll see how it goes for a while

Yep definitely true rev, have noticed the slacker I've gotten over the last few years the more easily I've gotten injured.

Missed a few days, legs were sore and work schedule has been really erratic. Managed to get a session in tonight though.

Squat: 3x5@45

Dead: 1x5@100

Row: 3x5@50

Had more in me but taking it easy till I'm used to the load

Alrighty seems I can't edit that post?

It's just a ausdel s1/2, I can barely remember at the moment as I've only driven it a grand total of 2kms in the last 12 months :(

Got my tax back the other day so ordering coilovers,diff parts, braided lines, rotors and pads soon.

There's a noob section? I don't have any recent pics, might be able to find some from when I got it though.

On topic, no gym today just stretching and rolling, rehab stuff tomorrow.

Gym last night, going at 8.30 sucks but its the only time its not completely packed with bros (somebody still hung their snap back on the bar while I was squatting though :wacko: )

06/08/2013

Squat: 3x5@50

Mp: 3x5@30 (nope weight didn't go down I just wrote it wrong in the first post)

Row: 3x5@55

Form was terrible on the last couple squats, think figured out why though and also why I am pushing with the middle of my foot more than the rear.

Hip flexor is tight on the dodgy leg again, throwing my balance out. Will stretch and work on it to see if it changes, if not I'll head down to ptc. Will probably go there regardless

Edited by r31slpr

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been doing much since my last update, just accessory/ rehab work.

Still can't squat properly at the moment, so haven't been doing them. Been doing lunges instead and they suck haha

23/08/2013

Did bench for the first time today, shoulder didn't like it at first so I changed my style and it was fine.

Bench: 3x5 @ 40 + lots of bar reps to get form right

Row: 3x5 @ 60

Dead: 2 reps @ 120 grip was failing

5 reps @ 100 holding at the top till grip started giving + more reps at lower weights for form

Aren't you finding the limits already?

If I can make a suggestion: do overhand first, as you're doing, then when that runs out of puff, switch to mixed grip and bust a few more reps out on 120. Can even change grips half way through the set. That way you're still training overhand to it's limits. Otherwise, your back isn't being worked hard enough if your grip is the first thing to fail :)

I guess I am in a way, I think it was more slippery bar caused by sweat than my grip though. If I could use chalk I have no doubt it would be fine.

I had to wipe the bar down after each set haha

Aren't you finding the limits already?

If I can make a suggestion: do overhand first, as you're doing, then when that runs out of puff, switch to mixed grip and bust a few more reps out on 120. Can even change grips half way through the set. That way you're still training overhand to it's limits. Otherwise, your back isn't being worked hard enough if your grip is the first thing to fail :)

Changing grip was my first thought, but I've never done mixed, so I'll give it a shot next time when I'm warming up to see how it feels