SAU Community

M35 Ecu Upgrade Options

DaveM35

Hmm *edited* nz tuning shops say they won't touch the nm35 vq25det although the "reflash" (not refresh) is available

Neither will any of the aftermarket ecu manufacturers, and the Emanage just isn't cutting it with so many of my customers wanting 300+kw.

Looks like I need to do everything myself, so I am going to grab a Link 'Fury' and set it up on my car with a plug in loom, copying the HKS install, let you guys know how it goes.

Flex fuel would be very nice. :)

• Like 3

Neither will any of the aftermarket ecu manufacturers, and the Emanage just isn't cutting it with so many of my customers wanting 300+kw.

Looks like I need to do everything myself, so I am going to grab a Link 'Fury' and set it up on my car with a plug in loom, copying the HKS install, let you guys know how it goes.

Thought you said you weren't going to break the news 'til it was all running?

You know I'm already keen if it gets working, and my cars all yours if you need a Impul/"aftermarket" ECU test car.

For the uninitiated in the M35 ways, what is the problem with a standalone ECU piggybacked to run the injectors and coils? When I was setting up my adaptronic, they originally assumed I had an M35 and nonchalantly gave me the base map, stating they had done them before. I assume there are many more ECU safeguards when it comes to errors.

Does the Fury let you customize the CAN bus?

Nope, nothing will run our can bus, so the stock ecu must stay in place and remain happy (no errors) for everything to work as per factory.

For the uninitiated in the M35 ways, what is the problem with a standalone ECU piggybacked to run the injectors and coils? When I was setting up my adaptronic, they originally assumed I had an M35 and nonchalantly gave me the base map, stating they had done them before. I assume there are many more ECU safeguards when it comes to errors.

The adaptronic never kept the stock ecu happy, and ran batch fire ignition. It could possibly work well with a little fiddling, but no-one has put the effort into making it run without errors. They have only done one car so far, then that setup was transferred into another car when Craigs threw a few rods. It's now running my old cable throttle, running in limp mode.

I only picked the Fury after a lot of research, My mate Rick and I wanted a standalone in our M35's that was able to run the cams and throttle down the track, once standalone gearbox control was sorted. We are also trying to ditch the pos stock AFM due to it's unreliable nature. MAP tune ftw.

• Like 1

Hmm *edited* nz tuning shops say they won't touch the nm35 vq25det although the "reflash" (not refresh) is available

Unless you have already tried him your best bet is Soichi from ST Hitec he is able to modify some VQ ecus or alternatively he is an F-Con tuner.

Unless you have already tried him your best bet is Soichi from ST Hitec he is able to modify some VQ ecus or alternatively he is an F-Con tuner.

Unfortunately the Fcon gear has been discontinued and as such is a waste of time (although mine has been good to me, tuning is a pain in Aus though).

Basic remapping could be good for some, but I need a decent plugin, standalone, live tuning solution that any tuner can use, anywhere in the world. This is the only way I can see it happening. It's much harder on these VQ25det's than you would expect. Many have tried and failed.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine i'll be starting mine next month at the earliest.

I can't see the 350z 6 speed being fitted and ready to go any earlier.

I haven't made the decision on what engine management i'll be using but i'm keen as always to see how Scotty goes.

Hmm I think all iv wanted from an ecu is the ability to gain fuel economy with current mods and when upgrading + be able to tune on the fly.

Iv looked at all the options and been flogged off because "its in the too hard basket" or incorrect information which steers me away from the tuner.

From what I understand is Uprev and Nistune is out of the picture.

Its fine if I end up putting in a different engine and gearbox, but with the way im liking the vq25det I want to keep it the way it is, just increased response in gearchanges and be it a bit quicker.

Anyone wanting to pull apart a factory ecu and see if a daughterboard can be fitted like the other 'normal' ecu's? Or replicate a nismo ecu ? That would be nice :P

Haha