SAU Community

Ls2 Coil On Plug Mod

• 5 weeks later...

This kit looks like it would be an easy plug and play kit! :yes:

http://www.mojoperf.com/drupal/node/21

I bought the RB26/LS2 coil brackets and springs from Rick at Mojo Performance recently and finished installing it over the weekend.

His brackets really are mint - saves you the hassle of having to make up brackets if you want a decent looking finish. I did the wiring myself, wasn't particularly difficult given there's a few guides out there on the net but was pretty fiddly at times. The coil cover should fit back over aswell which is good.

Anyway, recommend having a look at the above link if you're wanting to do something similar - just makes life so much easier!

post-132-0-30848300-1404646558_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-84949600-1404646584_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some info on using the GM truck coils:

Although spark power does increase with dwell times up to 6MS, dwell should be kept below 4.0 MS, only increased while closely monitoring for timing drift. These coils have an overcurrent protection mode (probably aggravated by the non-use of resistive plug wires in this application) that will cause timing drift in the ADVANCED direction. I know of several 2JZ engines (and 1 RB) gave been destroyed on the dyno by too much dwell. This seems to be somewhat dependent on type of ECU used but it pays to be safe. 2JZ users have made well over 1K WHP at boost levels in the 40s using 3.5 MS dwell.

To be sure of quality and performance, use only AC Delco D585, GM part 10457730. Many of the replacement (Chinese copies) coils do not provide the performance of the AC Delco pieces.

• Like 2

sorry to hijack but can any one tell me the plug number for the rb25det s2 coil pack plug? no the one that go's on to the coilpack but the one that plugs into the harnest i have a plan :D

Some info on using the GM truck coils:

Although spark power does increase with dwell times up to 6MS, dwell should be kept below 4.0 MS, only increased while closely monitoring for timing drift. These coils have an overcurrent protection mode (probably aggravated by the non-use of resistive plug wires in this application) that will cause timing drift in the ADVANCED direction. I know of several 2JZ engines (and 1 RB) gave been destroyed on the dyno by too much dwell. This seems to be somewhat dependent on type of ECU used but it pays to be safe. 2JZ users have made well over 1K WHP at boost levels in the 40s using 3.5 MS dwell.

To be sure of quality and performance, use only AC Delco D585, GM part 10457730. Many of the replacement (Chinese copies) coils do not provide the performance of the AC Delco pieces.

Great info there, and it explains a lot. Thanks.

It is also important to use resistive type spark plugs with the COP installation of these coils. Non-resistive plugs cause the coils to go into the overcurrent mode and drift/overheat.

polzin, I'll get out my diagram and post pin numbers shortly.

• Like 2

I think so mate, typically the ones that I have used and seem to generally be recommended are the BCPR6ES - the R is for resistor I believe.

The overcurrent conditions mentioned apply to the round truck coils with the heat sinks on top - . I think this is a consequence of mounting directly on-plug without the resistive plug wires as in stock use.

I have not heard of this occurring with other LSx coils, but then all the others do not lend themselves to on-plug mounting. This is a fortunate coincidence as the truck coils deliver almost 2X the spark power of any of the others.

I'm going to have to ban myself from going on SAU... I don't have any miss-fire issues, but after ready this thread I really want Ricks LS coil kit! :blink:

So by adjusting dwell below 4.0ms would be safe and still much more powerful than stock coils?

Yes.

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2423&sid=5af4ed3fce4bc8b76abfbce93cc0eda8&start=30

Read status' s post towards the bottom regarding which coils to get and why.

Edited by Ben C34

If you're going to go to the bother of doing the swap, get the D585 truck coils.

Did you read the link I posted?

280 bucks for 8 brand new and have made 1000rwhp.

Seems ok to me. And don't have the dwell issues.

Did you read the link I posted?

280 bucks for 8 brand new and have made 1000rwhp.

Seems ok to me. And don't have the dwell issues.

Yeah, I read your link. He doesn't mention the D585. If you research the coil conversion properly rather than spewing out something you saw on one forum you will see that most people suggest the D585 as being the preferred option. All I'm saying is, if you're going to go to the effort of doing the swap, then you may as well use the best coils possible. I paid $280 for 6, delivered; I don't need 8.

• Like 1

Yeah, I read your link. He doesn't mention the D585. If you research the coil conversion properly rather than spewing out something you saw on one forum you will see that most people suggest the D585 as being the preferred option. All I'm saying is, if you're going to go to the effort of doing the swap, then you may as well use the best coils possible. I paid $280 for 6, delivered; I don't need 8.

Right.

How much effort is it really? A little wiring and some brackets....

I have done my research and had already done the conversion using those coils status mentioned. I don't need the most powerful coils ever, neither do you probably.

Your right, he doesn't mention the D585 coils. He does however say the ones linked do not have the dwell limiting problem that the other coils have.

Quote:

Lots of testing has been done on all the variants and this one does not false fire (effectively uncontrolled added advance) at higher dwell levels like the others.

Seems like the sensible choice. Even if it's not the most powerful.