SAU Community

Ls2 Coil On Plug Mod

Cool. Next time I do an upgrade I'll be sure to research the Nistune forum thoroughly. :rolleyes:

Haha

I'm not trying to stir shit.

I'm pointing out that it's common knowledge that the other coils can have issues with high dwell.

Now it appears these LS3 coils don't have the same problem.

Not that that means I trust his experience with my engine, I still keep the dwell to 4 or below.

To each his own. The D585 is the only one that lends itself to on-plug installation (And has an available bracket system :no:). Personally, I hate plug wires.

There is no need to push the D585 into the timing drift areas with big dwells. Safe sub- 4.0MS dwell numbers have supported over 1000whp.

My D585's ran out of grunt at 830rwhp on 4ms dwell. I have a feeling they are china copies however

Still not complaining they are amazing coils for the price I paid.

This has been my experience with the Non-OEM copies.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the RB26/LS2 coil brackets and springs from Rick at Mojo Performance recently and finished installing it over the weekend.

His brackets really are mint - saves you the hassle of having to make up brackets if you want a decent looking finish. I did the wiring myself, wasn't particularly difficult given there's a few guides out there on the net but was pretty fiddly at times. The coil cover should fit back over aswell which is good.

Anyway, recommend having a look at the above link if you're wanting to do something similar - just makes life so much easier!

How much did he charger you for the mounting plate?

$175 + shipping if anyone was interested. It's in the states and comes with springs and bolts to mount the coils. Probably wouldn't work for me since I'm doing mine a little different.

20140726_155638_zpsaaxfqem3.jpg

IMG_20140726_155937_zpsx7s0e4d4.jpg

20140731_204225_zpswbvugyn5.jpg

Going to weld tabs onto the oem plate and bolt them to the coils on both sides.

IMG_20140731_205102_zpsrkwuljp2.jpg

I considered doing COP but it was too much effort and you still have the coils sitting down in the valley getting nice and hot. I ended up getting Hummer coils from the US and connected them with some Eagle leads from autobarn. Still yet to be tuned to increase dwell but even at the stock setting its a vast improvement over the Splitfires I had before running 19psi.

Made a flat mount for them out of some aluminium sheet. Highly recommended upgrade!

IMAG0506-small_zpsb871b52d.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

$175 + shipping if anyone was interested. It's in the states and comes with springs and bolts to mount the coils. Probably wouldn't work for me since I'm doing mine a little different.

20140726_155638_zpsaaxfqem3.jpg

does anyone know where to get the coil to spark plug connectors in VIC? or lastly ebay?

Edited by Dan_J

yup stay away from the metal heat sink ones if possible i had a few come in from other places with detonation issues and it was because they were tuned with too much dwell.... its a documented fact they have cost guys engines.

we always recommend running the;

C1512
D514A
OEM part 12573190

and are able to run low dwell and up to 1.5mm gaps with boost.

​If you do choose to run with the inferior truck ones just make sure you keep the dwell in check.

Cut and paste from my nistune post

The Coils to get are:

C1512
D514A
OEM part 12573190

These are all part numbers for the same denso coil. Lots of testing has been done on all the variants and this one does not false fire (effectively uncontrolled added advance) at higher dwell levels like the others. There are plenty of documented engine losses due to this artificial advance (sometimes upto 20 degrees)

They retail at $280 for 8 so you will have 4 or 2 left over either way. We have made over 1000rwhp with them and they are ultra reliable.

We just finished a GTR with nistune and had no issues at around 500rwkw with these coils and modified nistune dwell settings.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHEV-LS2-LS3 ... add&_uhb=1

should add the listing i linked to are infact genuine GM not copies. The non genuine ones are nowhere near as good and we have had missfires with as little as 0.6mm plug gap.

From what i've read the D585s (which have heat sinks, also known as the truck ones) produce the most spark power - is there any danger running them if the dwell is sensible? In what way are they inferior to the D514As?

With genuine OR decent aftermarket LS coils.. what spark gap & boost are you guys running?

I'm running Splitfires with 0.65mm gap at 3.5ms dwell and they're blowing out at 1.5bar+ when warm..

I started off at only 2.8ms dwell but kept on adding more to stop the misfiring - however it seems to start misfiring after a 20 minute drive even with high dwell. I don't want to push them any higher in case they fail.

I'm really considering converting to LS coils (that was the initial plan but got lazy).