SAU Community

Is The Car Scene Dead?

Adz2332

Is the car scene dead?

I remember only a few years back going to a car run or just a car meet every month.

People getting around to a car park, bonnets up, doors open, just checking out others cars etc. ..

What killed this??? Cops? Not enough time? Forums, not needing to see others to chat? Petrol costs?

I might be a bit older but geez I miss this!

Hanging out browsing cars on a nice warm night!

Now it just seems to hard to get people / cars together. No one seems interested in getting together.

Bring back the old days!

• Like 2

cops a little bit but everythings on facebook now. plus people are c unts, every meet i go to theres always just people talking shit constantly

Bingo.

All the older guys who don't whore facebook are probably being left out. On any given weekend there are meets/cruises happening, you just need to know where to look. Younger crowds of course.

If anything, I think the car scene has made a bit of a comeback thanks to Facebook/social media.

Edited by colourclassic

cops have definitely made the car scene a hell of a lot more low key than it used to be

facebook has killed nearly every forum these days too

and then you've got the scene kids, the haters, the shit talkers.....

• Like 1

Must agree with the above cops killed the vibe for me, I can't be bothered with the hassle it causes anymore.

You can't even go for a drive down to the bay on a Sunday night with out getting hassled, or having to keep an eye on the car every minute just in case.

If i was to go out it would be with a few mates and keeping it low key and staying well away from main areas.

That's my view on the situation anyways.

• Like 1

there are meets which still work and so forth but i always feel that people go there with there small group of friends and done mingle, infact you get a cold reception if you try to check there cars out of chat.

some people are just too cool.

I organize GTR cruises every couple of months, great bunch of guys, no idiots or wanna-be's. we chat and help each other out and provide helpful info for anyone in the need.

also post up any events worth going to in aselaide

SAU is dead. I offered to be a cruise/event organizer for members and they wernt interested so I created a GTR Cruising SA Facebook group which anyone at this stage with any type of GTR is welcome to join.

if your interested in catch ups and cruises then pls join

mike

• Like 1

My opinion is that it has appeared to go underground a little.

ie. police attention

I used to be a little worried with defects and attitudes given by some members

of the police but it truly doesn't worry me now. I just drive and enjoy.

In relation to this, I did actually drive down Hindley street a couple of times over the weekend

at night and I was shocked to see how dead it is.(Yes quite possibly Easter weekend)

I was also a little more surprised with all

these social tobacco bars and a few weird stares coming from them.

Hindley street many years ago was renowned around Australia and some parts internationally

as a big cruise street.

It does not feel like that anymore.

Opinions?

Cheers David

Not having been on any sort of cruise for the best part of 7 / 8 years it does seem a lot quieter now. Police attention was one reason I got out of the scene in 2007 (the other was building houses)

Mind you like any gathering of people the moron quota was always a downer for me and was why the novelty wore off after a handful of meetings. Hindley Street / Freedom car park was notorious for meets but more so for the cancer that infects this scene... just cause you can afford banged up 4 door R32 that does mad skids in the hills does not mean you have anything in common with most of those that I went to catch up with and say gday too.

None of my mates care for performance cars so now my only outlet is the occasional kind remark with someone at the servo / shops and the occasional wave of respect on the streets when I pass by another Stagea.

I'd still attended now the occasional daytime meet to have a look at peoples cars and a cruise down the southern coast is fun in a small group or by myself.

It's a bit sad this rarely happens any more so i just stay in my own little world and enjoy the slow progression of my own car :)

Cheers Beau

I think it's a combination of things, people growing up, other things to do and the perception that you'll get harassed or defected. There are still plenty of meets and groups if you are on the facebooks, etc. if that's your scene

I periodically catchup with a few groups, but must admit I rarely take my car, prefer to meet at events at the track where there are a good variety of cars and people

People in the scene ruin it for me. I tend to kick back with FRIENDS and cruise with them.

Good example, is hot heads attending cruises, and causing car accidents. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yer i can sort of agree with that as i havent been to a cruise or meet in ages. so cant place an opinion of modern times.

But back 5 to 7 years ago, im shy, but was more then happy for people to come check out my car, chat about it... etc....

fk facebook!! lol

just cause you can afford banged up 4 door R32 that does mad skids in the hills does not mean you have anything in common with most of those that I went to catch up with and say gday too.

This, I used to go out a lot and hang around with a good group of guys, could walk up to almost anyone else you saw out and have a chat or if you saw a few guys driving you could jump on the end and have a chat when they all eventually pulled over.

Now days the older guys seemed to have vanished and kids have taken over, they all drive the best car that has ever existed and are pro hills drifters, it seems like a lot of them are in it for attention and aren't actually interested in driving or appreciate other cars.

If you try talking to or driving with a lot of people it becomes a pissing contest, of course there's the odd one out but this is my general observation.

People often blame cops but some of my good mates i've been driving with for over 5 years and we all met through car events, from stock skylines to 400kw 2jz setups and none of us have ever seen regency. IMO it's the 'super low stance' generation that attract the bad attention.

I can't agree more...

To add, i drove a White R33, super deep dish rims, C west Carbon bonnet, semi wide kit and a heap of other mods and while i was pulled over on an almost monthly schedual down south by the cops i was never once booked or sent to regency. I attributed this to the fact that i didn't drive like a moron, my car was super clean and if i was pulled over i was honest and had a nice chat to the copper. In almost every case the cop ended up just wanting to have a look at the car cause he thought it was eye catching.

I am still keen to have a look at peoples cars and say gday but 9 times out of 10 meetings are north of the city, while i have always lived down Seaford way, and due to past efforts i just assume there will be at least one wanker who will ruin it all by thinking he has something to prove and waste my $50 of 98 premium :(

I totally agree with nicr4wks, I've been out a few cruises latley and the young ones are more interested in there sticker bombs and zip ties and plastic dip than performance mods and when if you can brake into there # social circle # and you start talking performance 90% of them look at you dumbfounded or start talking shit about there hektic ke70 drift beast

Quite in agreement Darren, the old days were good and are gone.

Respect (in many things) has died with some of this generation compared to when I grew up in the 80/90's.

Weezy, yes I am more enjoying cruising by myself these days as I do worry about

tailgaters. (WHY cant they irritate me in my $500 tow car, not the new family car or my vlt's).

I really think it comes down to attitude (in relation to the police), I drive past so many these days

just idling around and overtaking them (Yes, MODIFIED) and seem invisible.

However, when your time is up for a defect, it is up and will happen.

I once was even defected for no mudflaps.

(the car never even had the holes for them).

Every defect I receive, I just try and replace it with new if possible.

Edited by DJK

I don't know where u guys live but in mandurah WA the car scene is very alive I'm with a group and we do stuff almost every month. Meets and cruises and most of us are younger. I'm 17 and you get the odd dickhead once in a while but most of us are normal talking about our cars going for drives and I haven't had much trouble with cops considering I drive a matte black r32 2 door with a big red p on it lol