SAU Community

M35 Turbo Upgrade.

FIA510

He's using the Intense Billet RS. If you inbox him then he can fill you in on it and pricing etc as he also helped build/design it

Thanks

Looking into NM35 at the moment so just planing in advance :)

My turbo is being done atm by hypergear. I went the m35rv1. Not hoping for huge power just more then stock. Iv also gone hdi intercooler, am performance dump and mid pipe, am performance suction pipe and 14psi actuator. Will i hit any sort of cut with these mods or will the ecu be able to adapt?

I'm currently using an Adaptronic E420D in mine. Works fine at this stage. I can give you a base map for this turbo and a wire diagram if u need this ecu

Currently running an stock injectors on 17psi making around the 230awkws region. Factory turbo response.

Choice the Stagea

In terms Power to Coin ratio, I personally find the C34 with a Rb25det Neo is way better.

• 2 weeks later...

The GTRS turbine is 46.95mm. The factory is closer to 42mm on the exducer. But the core would work with machining.

I should have worded it a bit better. They use the whole turbo unit not just the core. mentioned on a couple of different cars also the greddy T618Z was also mentioned. but in saying this some parts may have been lost in translation just food for thought

post-49288-14609898133711_thumb.jpg

post-49288-1460989844633_thumb.jpg

post-49288-1460989861753_thumb.jpgpost-49288-14609898706308_thumb.jpg

Some development updates to the higher power end of the M35 Hypergear highflow.

Revised Collar and 2mm smaller turbine. The smaller turbine also enables the turbine and wastegate divider to remain with the Venturi cutout. This will reduce turbine discharge turbulence and encourage wastegate flow. Will post up comparative log data and driving impression video again once installed.

Matt

PS this is a hobby for me and work is flat out so may be a couple of weeks before another update.

post-49288-1460989823758_thumb.jpg

Edited by BoostdR
  • Like 1

The latest Hypergear CBB is on.

Boost Capacity vs Gear (max boost)`

SS2 Rev4 - CBB Rev2 - CBB Rev3

1st 17 21.4 26.5

2nd 20.5 24.2 28.4

3rd 23.2 28 31.5

Observations:

- The weird space ship spool noise is 100% gone. No idea what's changed to assist this.

- My injectors are now at 100% duty cycle in 1st-5th gear. Previous turbo touched 100% in 4th-5th only

- Car is now lean everywhere. 17:1 AFR at 2000-3000 20% throttle. 12.9:1 AFR at 100% throttle 7000rpm

- I don't need drive in manual mode to hold the car near the boost zone. There is plenty of low down/part throttle power available for everyday driving.

-I did notice the car ping. Hopefully it is related to the lean mixtures

Summary:

New revision has achieved the goal of obtaining more average power in the first 3 gears and a higher boost capacity. The previous turbo's responsed well in 3rd and above however lacked torque in the lower gears. For a street car I wanted the most available average torque from 1st to 3rd. I was more than happy to sacrifice some power from 3rd or 4th to gain more average power down low. Very happy to report that the entire boost threshold has increased enabling me to make up for the estimated loss of 14kw(smaller turbine) whilst at the same time increasing my average torque in the lower gears. Boost % difference under the curve and in the spool zone is in the order of 20-60% increase. I transferred the log data from all three turbo's I have tested to graphically represent the differences in response. The lean readings backup the additional flow that this turbo delivers low down(due to the smaller turbine) and additional flow up top(due to the higher boost capacity)

Graphs:

-Turbo response comparison

-Greddy log data. Note dark blue line(injector duty cycle), higher boost threshold in all gears and lean AFR.

Matt

Edited by BoostdR
  • Like 3

The latest Hypergear CBB is on.

Boost Capacity vs Gear (max boost)`

SS2 Rev4 - CBB Rev2 - CBB Rev3

1st 17 21.4 26.5

2nd 20.5 24.2 28.4

3rd 23.2 28 31.5

Observations:

- The weird space ship spool noise is 100% gone. No idea what's changed to assist this.

- My injectors are now at 100% duty cycle in 1st-5th gear. Previous turbo touched 100% in 4th-5th only

- Car is now lean everywhere. 17:1 AFR at 2000-3000 20% throttle. 12.9:1 AFR at 100% throttle 7000rpm

- I don't need drive in manual mode to hold the car near the boost zone. There is plenty of low down/part throttle power available for everyday driving.

-I did notice the car ping. Hopefully it is related to the lean mixtures

Summary:

New revision has achieved the goal of obtaining more average power in the first 3 gears and a higher boost capacity. The previous turbo's responsed well in 3rd and above however lacked torque in the lower gears. For a street car I wanted the most available average torque from 1st to 3rd. I was more than happy to sacrifice some power from 3rd or 4th to gain more average power down low. Very happy to report that the entire boost threshold has increased enabling me to make up for the estimated loss of 14kw(smaller turbine) whilst at the same time increasing my average torque in the lower gears. Boost % difference under the curve and in the spool zone is in the order of 20-60% increase. I transferred the log data from all three turbo's I have tested to graphically represent the differences in response. The lean readings backup the additional flow that this turbo delivers low down(due to the smaller turbine) and additional flow up top(due to the higher boost capacity)

Graphs:

-Turbo response comparison

-Greddy log data. Note dark blue line(injector duty cycle), higher boost threshold in all gears and lean AFR.

Matt

ImageUploadedBySAU Community1461578554.121764.jpg

ImageUploadedBySAU Community1461578571.565248.jpg

You on 98?

You are braver than me going that hard that lean with no knock detection.....

not the right place to ask

Does anyone have a dump pipe flange CAD drawing

cant help exactly

but pic of gasket:

IMAG0429_zpsyoove71r.jpg

Nissan part number: 14445-4P200

I gave the gasket to a metal place that said they could laser cut me one. and voila.

You on 98?

You are braver than me going that hard that lean with no knock detection.....

On E85. That log was the one and only run I did at the load. Boost is now down on min which is 22psi with the stiff wastegate can screwed up 4mm preload.

To be honest I'm pretty impressed my VQ25DET has held together at the power levels it runs. The head studs seem average...prob the weak link(and possibly saves the engine from excessive pressure). I think Scotty has mentioned this previously.

My next step is to work out if the pump is out of flow or the injectors are actually out of flow. May have to look at higher fuel pressure.... Hoping it's the pump.

Matt

Daily driving impressions and characteristic videos. One of the videos show the throttle position % vs rpm. Boost you can hear pretty easily.

All accelerations are at less than 30% throttle. The turbo makes positive boost pretty much straight from idle making a very nice car to drive normally.

https://youtu.be/eRinBPPfc4E

https://youtu.be/WGvDESNwCEk

https://youtu.be/2UfivPZ1ra8

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok have some results.

First run the car broke the tie down straps and jumped off the dyno crashing into the cooling fan... Quick lesson for me on how much torque this thing now makes.

325.6awkw 1300lb torque @ 28psi on E85. I ran out of time to actually play with the tune(fuel and timing) keen to find out what's left on the table. This result is a generic street tune.

This is a 3rd gear run in manual mode. The runs are different due to me working out how much I can put the throttle down without it kicking down a gear. I worked out I could place full acceleration down at 110km/h. Prior to 110km/h is around 40% throttle.

These runs had 5 tie down straps tensioned very hard so would sap a smidge of power. Maybe 5-15kw....not that it matters I still have to actually tune it. Timing is currently conservative.

I removed the K&N air filter from the OEM airbox which is MAFLESS and 80mm to 3" piping. Made only 3kw more.

Future plans:

Change exhaust. Current one has a damaged 3" center muffler blocking 20% flow

Play with the timing and AFR

post-49288-14634808317994_thumb.jpg

post-49288-14634808583526_thumb.jpg

After coming off the dyno

post-49288-14634808950959_thumb.jpg

• Like 4