SAU Community

Kat's R33. An Epic Journey!

post-134473-13992115936579_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone.

So..... I got myself an R33. This is my second skyline. My first one was not worth keeping as it had way too much wrong with it and I sold it to make way for a HSV Grange. I have since seen the error of my ways and last week got my series 1 R33 up to townsville from the Gold Coast. I purchased the car sight unseen. Big gamble but for $2700 I didn't feel too bad about it.

Since arriving I have come across a lot of things that need work. So far I have established that it needs:

A new turbo,

Ex man gaskets,

All heater hoses,

Sun visors,

Boot lock,

Drivers seat belt buckle,

A/c parts (condenser is there),

Emissions stuff (no canister etc),

A full set of wheels and tyres,

All new vacuum lines,

Power steering hoses,

Possibly new rotors and pads (haven't actually looked properly yet),

Head unit installed (which I have),

Wiring tidied up big time under the steering column and behind the head unit,

Passenger window switch or motor (haven't investigated it yet)

Exhaust fixed,

New cat,

Appropriate gaskets for turbo back,

Afm (but I have one from my old skyline luckily)

And I'm sure there is more that I haven't found yet but still not too bad for a $2700 car.

The paintwork isn't too bad. It's not going to ultimately stay this colour so as long as it's ok it will do for now.

I'm most likely staying with pretty standard things for now apart from putting a front mount on it. The idiot who owned the car before me has bastardised everything he possibly could so this is going to take a lot of TLC. I spent today ripping out all his fake carbon fibre contact that had been attached to everything inside with contact adhesive so that was fun. The turps and I got to be great friends today lol.

Anyways, I've started this thread to not only share my journey, get advice if I need it but to also have it all in one spot for me at a later date if I need to recount what I've done to it.

Thanks for reading. I will upload more pics tomorrow :)

There is nothing worse than fixing up previous owners shonky jobs.

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot.......sunroof parts :( bleh! Not happy about having to put them in. I'm thinking of just sealing it shut! More problems than its worth I think

Wow that is quite a list.

It sounds like its going to cost you a far whack to make it any sort of decent.

At the bottom of your posts you say "There is nothing worse than fixing up previous owners shonky jobs. "

I have to ask, why are you even bothering then? lol.

But either way, it will be quite a project, so good luck to you!

Lol, sight unseen... What did you expect exactly?

Anyway, scroll a bit further down the page, and there is a section called projects, overhauls and build ups. This is the right section for your thread, a helpful admin might move it, or you might just be better starting a fresh in there, as this will be closed by an admin eventually.

Welcome, and good luck with your project! :)

I'm using the ipad app so And I couldn't find that area to post it :/ I know there is a lot of work involved in it but there is lots of wreckers I can get parts from and I think I MAY be able to rebuild my turbo

All the best with your new wheels Kat and like Alex said, there are perfectly good tutorials to refer to.

I don't want to know what was wrong with your first skyline ;)

Haha terry well there was just lots of little thing a wrong with it nothing huge but my ex and I sold a few of our cars to get a hsv grange which he kept in the breakup so it's good to finally get another one. The previous skyline also had been in a pretty serious accident and been fixed up badly so better to just get rid of it and start again.

Oh and I'm fully aware I have gotten what I paid for with this one but as a project it's a very good starting car

Hi Kat,

You can get most stuff you need from a wrecker easy. But your in Townsville, is there a strong Skyline presence there??
When you say new turbo do you mean brand new or just a replacement?

Well I'm looking at brand new but a cheap standard one to get me by while I save for a much better one. There is a lot of skylines here and one of our wreckers carries a lot of r33 parts. I also have the up that I used to work at nissan here so I get a very good price there and other places that I used to deal with through work.

Well I've been a mechanics for almost 10 years and my father used to rally in rally australia so I guess just growing up around cars got me into them.

Apost-134473-1399699682141_thumb.jpganyone got any ideas as to what this connects to? All the carpet has been contact adhesived down so I don't want to pull it all up follow it

Edited by katsworld3