SAU Community

I Test Drove A Few Skylines Today, Few Questions

Hi guys,

Im interested in buying a skyline, its gotta be a r34 gtt manual coupe, perfer white...

Im concerned about a few things,

First, the chassis badge was embossed and silver not the blue one that its suppose to have

I have painted part of the attached image for seller saftey.

This car is listed on carsales, is a white car for 18k in victoria.

This car also has a exaust leak near turbo, you can smell and hear that, plus feels a loss of power sometimes..

Owner did timing belt himself, that also concerns me and noticed replaced cas, and was positioned full left.. dunno whats going on there.

Front of body has previous accident can tell due to lfront lights have a gap on left, not on the right.

Apart from that body is immaculate.

2nd interested car.

This car had a blue smooth chassis plate..

I feel engine was very well looked after.. smooth as silk when driving and restarting.

tho engine was running when arrived, prewarmed reason was flat battery and not driving it so much

A white r34 gtt for 15k on carsales in vic.. anyone recently test drove that car?

I really like it but the body need alot of tlc.. few rust points and paintwork is average.. boot had like bolt holes, like I said a fair bit of tlc

Would buy this if price was right.

Oh.......

My main concern was it veers to the left..

please weigh in on this comment please...

I didnt see evidence of accident damage and might be need of a alignment is all..

Based on info for car 2.. seller asks 15k

Whats a normal price to offer him?

post-41675-0-91384400-1402830394_thumb.jpg

I would stay away from the first one you saw.

The second one sounds like it could be alright..plus with the money you would save, you could put it towards cleaning it up abit.

This is of course without me seeing it or test driving it.

Wouldn't go anywhere near the first one...

And $15k is way to much for a stock r34GTT even in ok condition.. I couldn't get $10K for mine a year ago, as there are a lot more sellers than buyers... If the body needs a lot of work (as per your comments) I recon you'll get it or something like it for WELL under $10K.....

The car should have both the blue import/compliance plate (can also be a green plate, yellow plate or pink sticker/plate, which is put on when the car is complied once it is in Australia), plus the silver chassis plate (which is put on in the factory in Japan when the car is first made)

Walk, nay run, away.

For $15-18k you should be looking at immaculate 34 GTTs. There should be no rust, no missing stuff, no veering, no funny business.

If you have patience, get in touch with one of the well regarded importers on this forum (ie. Import Monster) and import your own. Otherwise put up some info regarding where you are looking at cars and some of the more experienced guys may be able to inspect them with you.

I only paid about $20K for my (then!) emaculate R34 GTT thirteen years ago when it was only a couple of years old, there is no way I'd be paying $15k for one now.... I still recon you should be able to pic up a reasonable one for well under $10k - rember, they are getting to be pretty old cars now...

I have been noticing the same thing price wise. I am looking at buying a 34 turbo sedan and yet the prices for the things are still pushing 15k in a lot of places. I think people have an unreasonable idea of just how much their cars are worth and don't check out redbook for even a basic idea.