SAU Community

Stolen R32 Gtr Recovered - Request For Advice

Hi SAU

As per the title, my R32 gtr was stolen recently- it was recovered a few streets away. In a stroke of back-handed luck the fuel pump had died- not sure if they couldn't get past that or the immobiliser or both.

They had a red hot go at hotwiring it though, my under-dash area, ignition loom and ignition barrel are in tatters... the rear end copped a beating, clearly they were trying to push it with another car. Rim lips are trashed from heavy-handed towies... very frustrating.

I'm looking around for a replacement ignition barrel but there are not many around. Can a locksmith help with replacing the barrel? do Nissan sell them as oem spares still?

I'm assuming I'll need to have my door/bootlid barrels recut- or will they need to be replaced as well?

Thanks for any advice, I haven't had to deal with this sort of issue before.

I believe I have a spare ignition barrel and key. Will look tomorrow and let you know what I have.

I also have a brand new complete set for an R32 GTR which I bought through Kudos Motor Sports that I'll be putting in sometime in the future.

Suggest you give Andrew a call at Kudos if your looking for new complete set.

Otherwise RHDjapan also sell them

:thumbsup:

Edit. If coming from OS will likely be a fortnight.

Edited by Sinista32

Keys and locks yes you can get them new. Did so a few years ago .

When replacing the ign barrel you will also need the two shear bolts as well. Those are $3-4 each. You need two.

Panel work , rear is still available. I bought the light panel a few years back for mine.

What area are you in?

I believe I have a spare ignition barrel and key. Will look tomorrow and let you know what I have.

I also have a brand new complete set for an R32 GTR which I bought through Kudos Motor Sports that I'll be putting in sometime in the future.

Suggest you give Andrew a call at Kudos if your looking for new complete set.

Otherwise RHDjapan also sell them

:thumbsup:

Edit. If coming from OS will likely be a fortnight.

Thanks Sinista32, that's very kind of you..

Can't answer your questions, but your lucky you found your GTR, my previous gtr was stolen and never recovered :(

Sorry to hear that mate. Sometimes I feel it's a double edged sword owning a GT-R attracts attention good and bad...

Keys and locks yes you can get them new. Did so a few years ago .

When replacing the ign barrel you will also need the two shear bolts as well. Those are $3-4 each. You need two.

Panel work , rear is still available. I bought the light panel a few years back for mine.

What area are you in?

Where did you get yours Chris? Was it from Nissan or from a reseller such as Kudos as Sinista32 mentioned above?

Thanks for the info re shear bolts.

I'm in Melbourne

If you want a new and complete set in a hurry I can on sell mine for replacement cost + postage. (I'll see what Andrew @ Kudos will charge me for another complete set).

If you only want a 2nd hand ignition barrel and key I can also get that posted off to you tomorrow - cost of postage only.

Edited by Sinista32

If you want a new and complete set in a hurry I can on sell mine for replacement cost + postage. (I'll see what Andrew @ Kudos will charge me for another complete set).

If you only want a 2nd hand ignition barrel and key I can also get that posted off to you tomorrow - cost of postage only.

Mate that is an extremely generous offer, thank you.. If you can part with the barrel and key that would be great- I'll organise a complete new set sometime in the future.

I refuse to take them off your hands for nothing though! I will drop you a pm.

Edited by shodan

Interested to know, did you have an alarm in addition to the immobiliser?

No I didn't. I bought the car from a bloke in Perth (thus the immobiliser) and it's been sitting there waiting for me to get some coin together to get it road legal for here in Victoria

Can't answer your questions, but your lucky you found your GTR, my previous gtr was stolen and never recovered :(

Same here, R32 was the best car I Have ever owned. owned it for 7 months and was stolen from my driveway at 5am before I was about to head off to work. Car was later recovered a few weeks later with everything stolen, parts, engine, interior, you name it. all gone. :(

• 8 months later...

Final update..

Turns out the thieves couldn't get past the immobiliser, and tried to screw around with the fuel relay wiring in the boot...

Then the insurer's workshop pulled the immobiliser out and didn't detect the damaged fuel relay wiring

:dry:

Wiring looms were repaired and tidied up, car turned over first time! All electrical work completed within 24hrs by Rob's Auto Elecs in Brunswick. Great service and pricing, can recommend.

Had to wait a bit longer for the replacement ignition and interior panels to arrive.

Might have to start a build thread..

He is a bit of a guru; apparently used to run his own Skyline shop in NZ. Nice bloke.

Rob the owner is too, for that matter..Both are passionate about cars. I am fortunate to have stumbled across his business :thumbsup: