SAU Community

Fuel Surge Issues?

Cheers, seems like I'll need some larger diameter fuel hose there then it can step down to 5/16th on the outlet end as per the standard fuel system.

Just thinking any reason I can't fit the pump to the tank directly with suitable connectors and have no hose in between? Mounting heights permitting so it's all level/no load on the fittings.

Edited by ActionDan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question regarding the feed from the surge to the pump.

Given the feed out of the pump and into the fuel system will be 5/16 EFI fuel hose like what's already there, can the feed into the pump be the same or must it be bigger?

I ask only because that fitting is 10AN compared to the 6AN used everywhere else.

My plane was simply to buy AN to 5/16th barb fittings like these. Though I'm having trouble finding a 10AN to 5/16 barb to so I might have to go 10AN to 8AN then to 5/16.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedflow-5-16-8mm-Barb-to-6AN-AN6-AN-6-Female-Hose-Fitting-Adapter-Push-On-/271437188344?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f32eaccf8&_uhb=1

And then just use something like this hose for everything and these clamps.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370906965297?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160749548016?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Im using 8an fitting from surge to my 044 then the an8 5/16 barb fitting from pump to engine. Dont know about other pumps but I know 044 no issues with AN8 feed.

Can someone help me find the bloody part numbers.

Rather than use standard barbs and clamps I thought pushlock fittings would be better, but trying to find 6an to 5/16 pushlock is proving difficult, I'm waiting to hear back from Speedflow but if anyone knows let me know.

Also any idea if I can just use standard EFI fuel hose with pushlock or if it must be the specific aeroflow/speed flow pushlock hose?

Can someone help me find the bloody part numbers.

Rather than use standard barbs and clamps I thought pushlock fittings would be better, but trying to find 6an to 5/16 pushlock is proving difficult, I'm waiting to hear back from Speedflow but if anyone knows let me know.

Also any idea if I can just use standard EFI fuel hose with pushlock or if it must be the specific aeroflow/speed flow pushlock hose?

What do you mean 6an to 5/16? As in you want a 5/16 push lock end instead of barb? the pushlock ends are made specifically for those hoses as they are there own diameters made specifically for those fittings so you wont find a push lock fitting made for convential hose sizes, I wouldnt be using normal hoses on push locks. What is your reason of wanting the push locks over the normal barbs?

I simply assumed it would be a better/tighter fit than hose clamps (which I'm not super keen on - though they are used in the standard fuel system).

If there's no gain from them I'll just use standard hose and 5/16th barbs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the normal barbs and clamps like I said mine have been on for years and I actually could not remove the barb from the hose i had to cut the hose its that tight, imo even when I use pushons I always still put a clamp on as I still dont like to rely on a push fitting.

Potentially you could use a push on -6 fitting on 3/8 size hose as they are pretty the same dia but yeah I wouldnt recomend it.

heres a pic of my setup anyway super simple and reliable.

post-50426-0-08459600-1404800873_thumb.jpg

Edited by boostn0199

They look nicer again and a 10 pack on eBay is only a few bucks more. Might get those,

I can see they come in various sizes. Any idea what the OD is of 5/16 hose? I'm assuming the 13-15mm clamps are the go?

Outer diameter is 14.7mm so prob go with 14-16 or 15-17 i cant remember which ones I got. The norma sell really good quality clamps if you want good intercooler clamps you can also have a look at these I use them aswell and have never had one pop off.

http://www.norma.net.au/products/hose-clamps/norma/norma-constant-tension-hose-clamps

Outer diameter is 14.7mm so prob go with 14-16 or 15-17 i cant remember which ones I got. The norma sell really good quality clamps if you want good intercooler clamps you can also have a look at these I use them aswell and have never had one pop off.

http://www.norma.net.au/products/hose-clamps/norma/norma-constant-tension-hose-clamps

Try bumping the boost a bit, the fuel will leak past that Norma clamp eventually given enough pressure. I would be running some new 400 series push on hose at a minimum. I guess I worry about ethanol compatibility and leaks/smells inside the car more than most...

Yes, but that is in the engine bay, not inside the car. Still, under the heat of the track and hot fuel, the efi hose will soften and the clamp isn't spring loaded to take up the slack. I guess you don't worry about things like that until it happens to you.

Im not sure about your car, but mine get's pretty hot in the engine bay, yet to see a clamp come loose, not bad for original clamps on a 25yr old car :D

I understand what you're saying, I just don't feel that it's as much of a factor for me on a car that only does a few thousand k's a year at most and gets very regular eyes on it.