SAU Community

Thinking About Getting A Na R32 Or R33

thinking of buying an R32 or R33 whats the different's between them?

a turbo is out of the question because i'm on my P plates

so what are the non turbo's like is there enough power?

whats better the 2.0L or 2.5L?

and whats the fuel like on them?

it will be my daily car so will need it to be reliable and cheap to run.

thanks for any help much appreciated

Enough power for what? No n/a skyline has enough power. As sinista stated, just get something else. BF/FG ford falcon xr6 is a good car to get on your P's. ZF auto transmission, insanely quick, will probably even beat a stock r34/r33 turbo...

Or better yet, if you really really want a turbo, get a Golf GTI, or a mitsubishi ralliart, both got the Dual clutch gear boxes, both turbo, both do 0-100 in 6 seconds, a simple catback exhaust, boost and tune gets you running in r34 GTR territory...

Also no skyline is cheap to run...ever haha

Edited by Deza3000

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for your reply's.don't really have the money for a BF or FG ford or something as new as 2011 turbos :/

i don't really wont to get a commodore like everyone else kinda wanted something different and i like the imports :)

A N/A R33 should have around the same power as a commodore wouldn't it???

anyway i want to keep my license lol

thanks for your reply's.don't really have the money for a BF or FG ford or something as new as 2011 turbos :/

i don't really wont to get a commodore like everyone else kinda wanted something different and i like the imports :)

A N/A R33 should have around the same power as a commodore wouldn't it???

anyway i want to keep my license lol

Hahah commies are boring to drive :P

Yea N/A r33 is slightly quicker than a VT and VY (165kw) commodore, VZs (195kw) pull away after x amount of ks (depending on if they are molested with big wheels or not), VE will demolish a n/a r33.

Will beat a xr6 BA and below (4 speed autos). Anything ZF (or even 5speed) is cya later.

Those stats are just based on personal experience during my n/a r33 days.

33 is good car though, great for a to b. Got 550ks per tank, never had a problem with it. Turns heads, Obviouse reason i ditched it was for a turbo.

If you're buying N/A, you want displacement and twincam, or a head that breathes a good amount of air. Look into N/A Supras or Zeds, you get 3L so you'll have a decent amount of torque. They actually go quite well. With a manual box they'll keep up with stockish GTST's.

N/A rb20's and rb25's are just a disappointment really, even rb25det's are nothing special by today's standards. On paper they seem alright, but you'll struggle to keep up with a new 4cyl that can rev.

After driving many R33's, turbo and N/A. I would say definitely look at a supra before you make up your mind. Much better car IMO.

If you're buying N/A, you want displacement and twincam, or a head that breathes a good amount of air. Look into N/A Supras or Zeds, you get 3L so you'll have a decent amount of torque. They actually go quite well. With a manual box they'll keep up with stockish GTST's.

N/A rb20's and rb25's are just a disappointment really, even rb25det's are nothing special by today's standards. On paper they seem alright, but you'll struggle to keep up with a new 4cyl that can rev.

After driving many R33's, turbo and N/A. I would say definitely look at a supra before you make up your mind. Much better car IMO.

Pretty much this, my NA Z32 was eating standard GTSt's at WSID especially R32's. Mine ran 14.5 @ 97.6MPH with just a catback and pod filter, would have been much quicker on ET streets + a nistune.

Buying a slow car just to be different (which skylines aren't anyway) isn't a good idea.

Get a car. Any car. Save for good car later when you can drive it.

first and foremost- probably this. Especially if you are in a state with the laws preventing turbo ownership on P's or whatever it is. You guys have madly inflated N/A skyline prices.

Otherwise, the N/A R33 is your best bet (2.5L > 2.0L any day. Also a newer car). The Type S model in particular which saw you with the turbo bodykit as well as a LSD and slightly more power.

They are particularly great to drive if they have some aftermarket suspension. Also the motor is nice and sounds beautiful with a cat-back exhaust. This is the model of NA R33 I had with such mods and I really enjoyed it.

No they aren't that powerful but they aren't slow either.

No they aren't good on fuel, especially for the power they put out.

Hey man, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm on my p's, looking for a Skyline to buy. Many people say save your money and wait till your off your p's, but screw that, that's a long wait. Just buy your car, enjoy it while your on your p's and when you want to sell it you'll find another person on their p's looking to do the same thing.

I saved up $6,000, got a $6,000 loan and I'm about to buy a R34 25GT. I'll drive that for around 3years then eventually sell it and buy a 25GT-T. (R34's are worth more but you can sell it without to much loss compared to an R33, not sure about R32's though) Go for what you want, otherwise you won't be happy.

Edited by Wagzy

• 1 month later...

I'm on my P's and i own an R32 Skyline with the RB25DE motor from an R33 - However just built a turbo motor for the swap at the end of the year

It is by no means powerful, or fast compared to any newer car like a falcodore or any euro which is more or less expected..
I have the turbo bits like brakes and diff so it's a blast at the track but on the street it does lack power

In the end; I wanted a skyline, so i bought a skyline, and i love my skyline. Just buy what you want and enjoy it, do what you want to do