SAU Community

How Long Should Coil Packs Last?

SargeRX8

Hey all,

Gotta a question, my R33 has had brand new genuine nissan coil packs in it. The other day it developed a miss on boost so I thought it was the plugs since they were nearing the second oil chance/10000km. I changed the spark plugs to a fresh new set, gapped to .833 and took it for a drive only to find the miss is still there. It takes effect at about 4000rpm as soon as boost is ramped up. I run an SS2 on 15psi. Low down and cruising the car is fine, just getting weak spark. It will free rev to 7000rpm without an issue. I can close the gap a little tighter but really want to avoid this.

The coil packs were brand new and about 3 years old. The car is always run with the coil pack cover removed. Would my better option be a set of spitfires or have OEM's become more affordable? Are the Spitfires improved over the standard coils? Will they last longer and eliminate the need to gap the plugs?

Why are you sure is due to weak spark and not a boost leak?

I'm not, really. I assume its spark related since the symptoms are exactly the same as when one of my yellow jackets was on its way out. I have no issues building boost, its just the 4krpm barrier, it farts and carries on. I will take the whole thing apart this weekend and see if I can see any issues with the coils, I'll regap the plugs, I'll extend the spring in the coils a little more and I'll go over for boost leaks.

Can I just test from the turbo inlet all the way back or should I disconnect from the TB, block it off then test from the turbo? It was a kick in the balls to hear it miss when I took it out last week, I was really hoping it was just the plugs. I think I should isolate the intake from the engine otherwise the air will just piss out the engine.

Edited by SargeRX8

Just did a intake pressure test. Only place which started squeezing air out was the oil filler hole in the top of the engine. I could not hear any hissing anywhere else around the engine bay. I took all the plugs out, checked the gaps and put it all back together. The miss is still there on boost. Looks like I might have a dud coil. I'll be ordering another set of OEM's. Ah well.

Yeah my second set I just bought off eBay for the exact same price from a seller in Melbourne with relatively good reputation. He also sells Z32, not genuine, listed as aftermarket parts. The coil packs are listed as Genuine Nissan made in Japan components.

When they arrive, I'll be trying to pinpoint the faulty coil using the new ones, one by one. When I find the one causing the fault, I will dissect it and also dissect one of my original nissans which is no good and comparing the internals. Even genuine components could be prone to failure.

The only thing which would make me iffy is when sellers sell oem components, not listed as genuine and come on oem packaging.

I'm not dissatisfied with the performance of my current coils. I got a good 3 years about of them, about 45000km. The previous yellow jackets I had lasted about half a year.

Edited by SargeRX8

New plugs new coils and still cant get past 4000rpm. Ive checked for boost leaks and found nothing. Ill try again on saturday for leaks.

What else can cause this? My coil loom looks like shit. Broken clips and what not. Nothing in my car has changed. This came about all of sudden about 3 weeks ago. I dont think my coils had anything to do with it. Unless my testing has fouled my plugs which isn't likely.