SAU Community

Buying Nm35 Stagea

ben3322

Looking at a couple of 2002-2003 nm35 A-RX stageas this weekend and just after some basic info.
I know there are topics and posts on here with all the info but its taking me way too long to cut through all the crap and find what i need to know.

I just want to know what the basic differences are between the different models of the nm35. (2004 and earlier, on a budget) and the major problems that are encountered.
Im a mechanic so im not too worried about the minor issues like oil leaks and such, just the issues which will cost me money rather than time.

Any help would be great, anyone complaining and telling me to filter through the other posts need not reply.

Not a lot of replies Ben. Looks like everyone took your last comment to heart, lol.

If you buy a clean looking car (ignore km's as probably aren't accurate) you won't have too much trouble. Original turbo will eventually break, some sensors may randomly give you trouble (most common AFM & cam angle) but that's about it.

If were me buying again, I'd keep my eye on the SAU classifieds and also http://www.m35stagea.info/forum/index.php . You're more likely to get a good price on a well maintained car. Good luck with your hunt

Oh, I nearly forgot, the cam chain sprockets are failing all the time (see recent thread on here). Good news is almost all owners on m35stagea.info have already changed theirs....

:no:

Four models.

From base pack to most luxo

RS

RX

ARX (raises susp, and adds wheel arch trims)

AXIS (colour coded wheel arch trims and diff grill)

Now all models 2001-2003 will be AWD, turbo, and 5at. We can't import the pleb NA models. Or the RWD early models.

Different grades have different options. Just being a higher grade, actually doesn't guarantee it will have more options than any other car. Research the options, and figure out ones you want.

Honestly, just being a mechanic isn't really enough for these cars. They have defeated many mechanics due to the quirks of the car. That being said, there is a massive amount of info on here about them, and what I would consider the most knowledgable people in the WORLD on these cars.

Best comb the for sale sections like Leon said, as you often can pick up nice examples, with a few of what we consider "must do" mods, already done.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

Cheers gents. ended up picking up a pretty tidy AR-X. Ugly colour though.
Only bad point is the turbo is noisey. I didnt think much of it since ive rebuilt many turbos before and the kits are usually only around $100.
UNTIL i did abit of searching and found they are in a bitch of a spot and its really hard to find rebuilt kits for. Fingers crossed its just a busted exhaust gasket or a boost leak leading me astray.

A rebuild kit you say, I don't think you will find that locally, but they are available in Japan as I have seen S/H turbo's come in with new ceramic turbines. I think a Hypergear highflow would be your best bet.

The gaskets are pretty reliable, and rarely make noise. Most likely the rear wheel has fallen off into the cat. Pressure test the intake before you try dropping the dump pipe, it's a biatch.

• Like 1

How do I delete this topic. I can't stop laughing at that reply

I assume you don't like scottys reply. It is very accurate though, and nobody knows m35s more then scotty

Ive heard of american DSM guys doing their own rebuilds, but wouldn't you want it checked by a turbo workshop afterwards anyways? It needs to be measured on a balance machine, which is well beyond the means of an individual mechanic.

Aslong as there's is no damage to non serviceable parts of a turbo, then rebuilding a turbo is a fairly simple job.

As far as the exhaust gasket goes, a gasket is a gasket no matter what car it's on and gasket fail. I've seen very small parts of exhaust gaskets blow out and cause whining noises many times before on many different cars.

I started this topic to find an answer to my question and assumed It would end there.

Now how to a delete this topic? because it's of no use to anyone now that I've got my car.

Welcome to the forum. You can't delete your topic and can't force people to only give responses you want to hear.

A gasket is a gasket.

Anyway you must be excited with your whiny dud color stagea. Any pics of the dud color?

• Like 2

Lol nah not yet. It's that ugly gold colour.

Should have some pics once I lower it.

It's looking like wrong oil has caused the turbo noise. Changed the oil and the old stuff felt like 20-60 or something similar. Put some 5-30 in it and the noise has gotten a fair bit quieter. Pretty sure the damage has already been done and will still need a reco though.

Now that I know I can't delete topics, I might think twice before starting another.

I'm happy with the stock rebuild for now, not going for power. Will probably give in down the track and go for more power.

I think you need to do some research on Nissan turbo's, before your turbine wheel ends up in the dump pipe. ;)

I think you need to do some research on Nissan turbo's, before your turbine wheel ends up in the dump pipe. ;)

He's a mechanic Scotty; he doesn't need to do research.

I can't for the life of me understand why you'd voluntarily take the turbo out of one of these more than once, if you didn't have to.

But I'm not a mechanic either...

• Like 1