SAU Community

Rb20Det Not Boosting At Night

Hey guys, new to forum to please be easy if i screw up (could be posting in the wrong section for all i know)

Have picked up a R31 skyline (RB20DET, non-intercooled), she very nice to drive in the day.

Night or cold day is a different story.

When the turbo starts to spool it seems to jitter and/or lose power all together.

The car is always warmed up 5-10 minutes before hand, stalls while warming up.

I'm thinking spark plugs, i have a theory that in the day it's hot enough to get a good combustion, at night there is just too much air.

Could anyone shed some light?

Cheers.

Blake.

I'm no expert on R31 but check everything related to ignition. Spark plug, coilpacks, coilpack loom, PTU ground...

Stalling during warm-up make me thinks it's PTU related.

Aren't the R31 PTU known to fail ?

AFM sounds like a serious candidate here.

Is it running stock boost? Does it have abig exhaust? etc etc etc etc.

No, stock boost, no intercooler.stock exhaust too, will be giving the AFM a clean today.

I'm no expert on R31 but check everything related to ignition. Spark plug, coilpacks, coilpack loom, PTU ground...

Stalling during warm-up make me thinks it's PTU related.

Aren't the R31 PTU known to fail ?

Not sure what PTU is, could you shed some light? and i thinks its a 32 rb20det swap.

cheers for the responding boys,

Blake.

R31 turbo not intercooled. Is this an Aus del with a 20DET swap or an import model. The only turbo 31's not intercooled were the import 20ET single cams or the unicorn like turbo GTS pace car. Afm sounds like the first thing I would check with a known working one. Which RB20 do you have if it is a DET. Redtop NICS are known be riddled with electrical issues, redtop ECCS or r32 silvertop RB20? If you can borrow a matched and working afm and ecu it would be a place to start and cost nothing to borrow for 20 mins.

R31 turbo not intercooled. Is this an Aus del with a 20DET swap or an import model. The only turbo 31's not intercooled were the import 20ET single cams or the unicorn like turbo GTS pace car. Afm sounds like the first thing I would check with a known working one. Which RB20 do you have if it is a DET. Redtop NICS are known be riddled with electrical issues, redtop ECCS or r32 silvertop RB20? If you can borrow a matched and working afm and ecu it would be a place to start and cost nothing to borrow for 20 mins.

hey guys was the spark plugs, whacked some new ones in and she runs pike a dream, last owner didn't intercooler it for stealth, definitely rb20det, cheers for the replys guys, also not sure what rb20 I have, anyway to check?