SAU Community

Sticky Handbrake?

SNEEZYC34

Hey guys

My c34 is auto so I have the foot hand brake. It's easy to put on. Put when I take hand brake off it's really stiff and I have to put my door behind the pedal to really pull it off.

Anyone had this issue before?

Edited by SNEEZYC34

Mine has the same problem, occurred randomly one cold morning after no specific change. Some times it releases nicely and sometimes I even have to pull the foot brake manually. Haven't had it looked at since it still functions but feels like the cable is 'sticky' or something

Freyed cable? need replacing.

running WD40 down the cable doesn't help ?

(I like the older Torana's with a foot brake but then released by a pull knob/switch on the dash)

Edited by Sinista32

I had the same problem and fixed it by spraying the whole pedal mechanism with WD40.

You will need to put down newspaper and plastic sheets or garbage bags in the footwell to catch the run off - you will need to spray a lot.

Spray the whole mechanism while moving the pedal in and out (try to hold open the release catch somehow)

I also used a tube and a nozzle attached to the WD40 can because you need to hold the can upright, while the tube and nozzle allows you to get the WD40 right onto the mechanism.

It has now been more than a year since I did this, and at the moment there is only the faintest sticking at the top of the pedal travel. Might be time to give it another shot.

Things getting stiff and sticky is pretty normal for any old car.

Might pay to use something other than wd 40 fpr longer lasting results.

Wd40 washes away whatever grease is left then dries up pretty quick, silicon spray or dry glide would be a longer lasting alternative.

yeah im gonna have a sus this weekend and see what i can find.

Only reason i found it strange is i have had another foot handbrake on my old 1980 triton ute and never had issues and google didnt come up with much so wasnt sure if it was common or not aye.

Kris

Things getting stiff and sticky is pretty normal for any old car.

Might pay to use something other than wd 40 fpr longer lasting results.

Wd40 washes away whatever grease is left then dries up pretty quick, silicon spray or dry glide would be a longer lasting alternative.

It would probably be a worth a shot adding some silicone spray after cleaning, I just find that WD40 has a superior ability to dissolve and flush out crap. Leave the car for a week or two after cleaning until the WD smell goes away, then add the lube.

• Like 1