SAU Community

My Rx7 S8 Track Car Build

Hey guys and girls,

Yes I know its not a Nissan but some of the guys asked me to put up a build thread as they cant read it on FDrx7.com

So first of all I've had my fun in the NM35 Stagea took it to 2 Texi's and 3 Trackdays at SMSP and the bug has bitten so I've decided to build a dedicated track car and my first love was the Rotary!!!

Bit of back ground details:
My first car was a '85 323 Panel Van with the 1.5ltr D5 motor pushing 86.7Kw at the flywheel (never got to put a rotary in her as she got rear ended and written off.)
then I bought my project car a '75 808 Wagon (RX3) been building this for the last 10 years!!! short run down is 13B Bp, S4T g'box and Hilux diff, everything upgraded and body restored (well still in the process)

then I tried to keep myself out of trouble and bought a VT V6 commodore.

got pretty bored of that and bought myself the NM35 Stagea and have loved it ever since!!! 204Kwaw and has ran a 13.9Sec @ 158km/h down the quarter and push out a lap of 108:26 on the south cct @ SMSP

so anyways back to the RX7 its a 2000 model S8 RB-S, freshly imported from Japan. it's totally stock besides the Work Meisters (18X9 & 18X10)

post-83704-0-26882500-1409048777_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-13010600-1409048790_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So basically I've started the servicing and put some fresh oil in her with a new filter, also done a radiator flush, replaced the AST (Air separation Tank) and put in some coolant.

I've cleaned and checked the air filter which turned out to be a standard item as well.

the to do list is as follows: replace spark plugs, upgrade clutch line and flush fluid. Need to replace the boost solenoids as the sequential turbo isn't spooling (a problem 9 out of 10 have when leaving Japan) also have some Remsa track pads lined up to go in with some race temp brake fluid.

another item I will hopefully have done in time for the track day on the 22nd of Sept is upgrading the oil cooler, I'll put in a thermostatic block with twin thermo fan cooled oil coolers!!!

we also chucked in the BC racing coil overs Type BR - HR over the weekend which will be corner balanced and aligned on the 19th.

the car is currently at the exhaust shop getting a budgo 3" from the cat back done as you can barely hear it atm :( Will get upgraded later on down the track once it gets engine and turbo mods.

also if I get time I'd love to fit a few gauges so I can keep and eye on things too.

also had to put the obligatory rotor shaped oil cap on! whilst I was doing the service I found that the under tray was damage so done my first racecar mod and repaired it with cable ties!!! HEHE

post-83704-0-52816100-1409049712_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-01688500-1409049722_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-10989900-1409049730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Also took the car to pedders on the weekend to get it checked over cos after 2 days of driving it, it started making some noises and found quite a few bushes need replacing!!!

Front swaybar "D" bushes and link bushes.

Rear Lateral arm inner bushes upper and lower.

Rear Trailing arm lower rear bushes.

Rear Toe arm bushes.

possibly a busted engine mount and the diff bush.

but here are the photo's from after we lowered her :)

post-83704-0-62344700-1409050235_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-90190700-1409050242_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-36856800-1409050251_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Don't rely on a pedders check for the bushes. Get it worked over by some reputable. Like wholesale susp down in penrith.

Maybe we could get the thread moved to Motorsport builds, or just general project / builds section ;)

Will be looking on with interest. :)

Looking good Theo; the yellow suits it so well.

I'd much rather Wholesale than Pedders, but if you want some proper advice; either talk to the fella Alex & Mat used at Road2Race, or I can put you in touch with my guy, they do quite a few track and race cars. He's also a fair bit closer to you.

Obviously, you know enough to inspect the critical stuff yourself, so just make a list mate, always happy to help you out. ;-)

well I went to Sydney Suspension but they were to busy (a few weeks wait) so I booked the car in for a corner balance on the 19th.

then I emailed them last night with all the parts I needed.

so don't worry I'm doing it properly I'm not totally retarded :P

Hey PranK, yeah that would be good thanks!

I'll get some vid's up once I fix the boost issue currently the sequential turbo isn't working correctly!!! :(

Replaced one of the solenoids today that tested badly and was also drenched in oil but it didn't fix the boost problem so I have a lot of fault finding and reading to do!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to start collecting my twin thermo cooled oil coolers and all the braded line and fittings with a thermo block ready for assembly.

And if there's still time in the arvo going to replace the clutch line and bleed, also have to replace the spark plugs which is more of a prick than I had hoped :(