SAU Community

R34 Handling Upgrades

Hi, having recently purchased a completely stock R34 im looking into doing some handling upgrades, nothing crazy just general street use and a trip to the track twice a year. However that being said I don't want some sloppy or something that's going to make it damn near uncomfortable. Ive looked at getting coil-overs with lower spring rates but is that really the best option. Due to the fact that I like taking corners pretty fast it would seem like a good option, but could I achieve similar performance with lowered performance spring and shocks and upgraded front and rear strut braces and a sway bar down low? The car will only be making around the low 300hp at the wheels and its got decent grip and fairly wide tires. In short could a more street-able option be to ugrades springs and shocks and put in braces all round then go for coil-overs, but still be able to level with coil-over performance in general street track use.

Thanks all :)

Hey Chids34 - I also recently got my hands on a stock 34, I have been hunting around now for some decent suspension for 2 reasons - 1.) I hate how high it is, and 2.) I would like some better performance.

Basically I walked into petters and got a quote of $1400 for their fully adjustable fully warranted suspension setup, or $2300 installed plus a 1500km set-up time where in that 1500km you could bring the car back anytime and have them alter the ride stiffer/softer, lower/higher etc. Also everything they do is warranted for 3 years.

I've heard from GTR owners that BC coil overs are a fantastic option as they don't apparently sacrifice any comfortability for street use and they are around $1100 on ebay.

I've also seen nolathane bush kits for the 33's and 34's on ebay from $80-$300, depending on how much you want to replace.

Let us know if you decided on something and how it feels/handles on the road, also would be keen to see ride height.

I've heard from GTR owners that BC coil overs are a fantastic option as they don't apparently sacrifice any comfortability for street use and they are around $1100 on ebay.

The guys that think those BC's have any value in them whatso ever have rocks in their head. May aswell put some railway sleepers in. Might do a better job.

- Set of mid-range coilovers, such as MCA, Shockworks (I have these in 8/6) or get onto sydney kid for a bilstein setup.

- Sway bars front and rear

- Rear camber and front castor arms

- Adjustable front camber bushes

- Hicas lock bar

- Replace every other bush you can afford

Alignment, then sorted.

Edited by owen1r

- Set of mid-range coilovers, such as MCA, Shockworks (I have these in 8/6) or get onto sydney kid for a bilstein setup.

- Sway bars front and rear

- Rear camber and front castor arms

- Adjustable front camber bushes

- Hicas lock bar

- Replace every other bush you can afford

Alignment, then sorted.

The above is the gospel according to us.

Thanks for the info, but to answer my actual question can I achieve the same results without coilovers? Going the coilover way is great and all but I was asking if similar results can be achieved without them, not whether or not I should use them because everyone else does, which yes would suggest they have there advantages but I'd like to know anyway.

Thanks J

Everything is a coilover. The standard suspension is technically a coilover design. What I think you mean is an adjustable coilover kit. The suspension needs to match the rest of the cars mods and its usage. Given you said you only wanted 220rwkw you may be able to get away with a cheap coilover set and still get what you want.

I personally take the 'do it once, do it properly' approach. Future you will probably thank you ;)

The guys that think those BC's have any value in them whatso ever have rocks in their head. May aswell put some railway sleepers in. Might do a better job.

Everyone's a critic, until they actually use them, then their input is worth listening to. ;)

If you can't set up adjustable suspension you are better off with the Bilsteins.

• Like 1

To the OP - if you're going to take the "do it once, do it right" approach then I suggest heading to pedders and just have a suss out of their stuff, but it is pricey. Otherwise theres not much info on the type of suspension people are running and feedback, perhaps a new thread should be started so people can tell us what gear they're running and what its like on the street/track, how easy it is to adjust, what settings they use how much they paid etc etc. Would be a handy thread!

Edited by vetter2769

Everything is a coilover. The standard suspension is technically a coilover design. What I think you mean is an adjustable coilover kit. The suspension needs to match the rest of the cars mods and its usage. Given you said you only wanted 220rwkw you may be able to get away with a cheap coilover set and still get what you want.

I personally take the 'do it once, do it properly' approach. Future you will probably thank you ;)

I think people understand what I mean when I say, 'coilover' it clearly doesnt mean im putting the stock 'coilovers' back in, it more or less implies upgrading to a 'coilover' those that are bought aftermarket. And yes thankyou there is a difference I can get lowered springs and standard shocks, is it a coilover? technically if I sold it to someone would I call it a coilover? probs not. And to be honest your not even answering the question your just being obtuse, is the question should I put coilovers in? no its not.

Thanks for your feedback.

Everyone's a critic, until they actually use them, then their input is worth listening to. ;)

If you can't set up adjustable suspension you are better off with the Bilsteins.

I've been in a few cars with them. They're terrible. Isn't that enough?