SAU Community

Absolutely New To Skylines Need Help Asap

NoobR32Owner

Hey all

I've recently obtained a R32 Skyline for my first car (bought for me)
And I know next to nothing about my car

When my friends ask me about things i'm left speechless never knowing what to say

I would like to learn more about cars and Skyline particularly
I am also want to make my car nicer so it really draws peoples attention when I drive past

I don't know where to start

I need help please, anything you need to know from me I can post pics, etc.
I'll be coming on this forum daily after work to check up on posts and such

Thanks in Advance

~NoobR32Owner

I'm probably going to get hammered/grilled/butrapped for this but check out mighty car mods on youtube, they kind of provide some insight into modifying cars and they teach you all sorts of stuff along the way.

check out their drift car build, that was pretty cool

be sure to watch all 3 episodes, and then check out the other stuff they do.

skip over that rubbish "lend us a ride" its diarrhoea.

If you want to know some history on the skylines, then look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline

and welcome to the world of skylines.

- Dan

All the info I got when receiving the car, about 90% sure he removed some of it before passing it off to me though, never received the HICAS bar or Subs but this is all the info I have, these pics are some I have, it's late at night right now so i'll take some tomorrow of detail. post-136251-0-77859400-1409930281_thumb.jpg post-136251-0-42265600-1409930288_thumb.jpg

<< List of “new” parts on the car: New Clutch / machined flywheel / throw out bearing. New low KM gearbox with Royal Purple gearbox oil ($150 oil) New Master brake cylinder + part New front slotted front rotors and brake pads. New radiator + hoses New Turbo (highflowed) /dump / gaskets / o2 sensors New intercooler Dynoed to 165kw / safe tune / 500km + to a tank 50 liters – can travel to Perth on 1/3 tank Motul Turbo oil used when ever possible. Always serviced at 5000km. Mayor service from Xspeed when I brought it, replaced a lot of parts that where ageing. Great engine – idles smooth / nice power/ good eco if you drive sensible. New low KM second hand engine. (85000km) 100km Service done / all belts / timing belts / water pump replaced. New Apline Type R 6.5” splits in the front doors with custom 6mm MDF mounting New Front window + seals – brought less than 3 months ago New steering wheel. 2 different sizes. List of aftermarket gear external: GTR Front bar and lip P1 Buddy club Rims 17” x 8.5” Side skirts Height and damper adjustment – can make the car lower or higher while keeping a “soft or hard” ride. N1 Headlights with upgraded HID’s List of spares: Old (rb20 turbo) Old gearbox Another boot without holes (different colour paint) Lots of bolts / random spares I have been keeping. Old clutch Audio: USB Apple head deck, can use your iPhone direct 2 x 12” subs – Not connected 1 x 700watt amp – Not connected 1 x 250watt amp – Connected to Apline splits. (sound GREAT!) HICAS lock bar to be installed – have it waiting in a box. >>

looks tidy and tastefull.

just do some searching, check out what other people has done cosmetically and take ideas. if you like it, do it.

get right ontop of regular maintenance and we all know there will be plenty to do to an old car right away if your looking to spend money. will it make it more attractive, no. but it will make it better and easier to mod later on.

take it to a reputable work shop for a retune with a nistune or the likes and make sure everything is running well, squeeze a bit more performance out of it. if you wanan go faster they will be able to offer help.

but not knowing anything about the car it looks nice, good car mate just enjoy it for a while. you will start to realise things you want. dont do somthing for fomeone elses eyes, just yours.

welcome too btw.

get reading. soooo much info on here.

• Like 1

Of corse it is, its just very difficult to replace the whole dash, especially if you haven't much experience with cars as you'll be unplugged all sorts of important things.

most people like to replace their orange indicators to clear as they think it looks better :S I don't mind them orange!.

Keep and eye on the for sale thread, people regularly wreck cars and part them out!

In my personal opinion Orange lights look better on a black car, they stand out more and is it possible to get custom dashes or would I have to replace it with like another r32 dash? do you know?
You have all been great help this forum is wicked

I try and help others because I was once in your shoes, we weren't born with the knowledge we all have. forums are the best place to learn stuff, mostly you will learn that everyone has a different opinion lol, but still see a lot of good threads/write-ups.

I've personally never seen "custom dashes" for sale, but seen plenty standard second hands for sale. like I said, trawl the for sale threads.

any more questions don't be afraid to ask, the only stupid question is the question you don't ask!

• 2 weeks later...

You have a nice clean looking car there, I personally like to debadge cars i find it makes them look cleaner. One piece of advice is don't drive it till somthing goes wrong just once and a while just take sometime to have a look over the car for things like water/oil leaks and things that move that shouldn't. And have fun with it.

You have a nice clean looking car there, I personally like to debadge cars i find it makes them look cleaner. One piece of advice is don't drive it till somthing goes wrong just once and a while just take sometime to have a look over the car for things like water/oil leaks and things that move that shouldn't. And have fun with it.

That is just some fan-taz advice right there

also, by dash im going to assume the dial cluster?
replace the bulbs with white LEDS, gives it a supprising fresh look.

you can do the ac controlls and all interior lights too.

this was my old 32 dash before and after.

before
d9719d7d.jpg

7167fb45.jpg

After

interiordial_6.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

Looks clean mate, welcome to the wonderful world of skyline ownership :woot:

The tips i could give;

Read build threads - Google part names, Google how that part works and what it does and you will suddenly start to understand things a lot more
Read the forums - Places like the general maintenance forum are great for picking up things that might need attention on your own car
Watch Youtube - Channels like mighty car mods are fun and usually quite helpful, videos like how to service your car and the likes are a good starter
Grab some tools and start with the basics, oil, coolant etc.. even just poke around the engine bay and start identifying things and reading about how they work is a good place to start

And finally don't be afraid to ask questions :)

I know this is just common sense but in order to get attention from people while you drive past the important things are sound then look, performance wise is just when someone ask the specs of the car

since your priority is looks, i suggest getting it wax and polish professionally, nothing beats a skyline cruising past you shining and glazing from afar then install a catback exhaust, skylines are well known for their unique RB engine sounds they produce and exhaust work will make this more pronounce as well as aggressive.

Might i also suggest getting led taillights as well as they look sexy...very sexy.

Oh and watch out for trolls as they tend to pick on the 'new' people that ask common sense questions to make them feel important as we all need to learn somewhere right?, just ignore them or better yet have a go at them as nothing gives you as much fun at beating a troll at it's own game :)