SAU Community

Strange Problem, Easy Solution. K&n Filter + Maf Issue.

Kanaric

Never had a problem like this before in any car. Basically the car was going into limp mode and intermittent loss of power above 3000 RPM. TL;DR the MAF was getting the filer's oil on it causing it to lose functionality, had to clean the MAF often with MAF cleaner and the car ran fine for a few days. I live in vegas where it gets 40+ degrees regularly so maybe that causes the oil to become more fluid and causes this problem. It's just weird. I've NEVER had this problem before with a K&N filter. Had a WRX and 350Z both with oiled filters like this and neither of them had an issue.

I guess this is a "cool story bro" post but it's just something ridiculous to me so I felt the need the post it.

Or put the correct amount of oil (not much) onto them. Heaps of people use them no worries.

This was out of box, didn't even put anything on it.

Is there anything I can use to reduce the amount of oil on there?

Edited by Kanaric

This was out of box, didn't even put anything on it.

Is there anything I can use to reduce the amount of oil on there?

Yes, you can bin the crap and use a decent cotton element, like Blitz/Greddy etc. Even a paper element would be better than the K+N.

K&N allegedly do extensive testing on their oil and filters against MAF sensors. If you believe that the filter is the cause of the problem, contact them for an explanation or refund.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

I've had a K&N filter in my R33 for years and I have never had a problem.

Should I contact them to replace all the AFM's I have blown from running them, and all the customer's ones? I am sure they would love that email. lol.

Yes. If you have a problem caused by an unsuitable item it is their responsibility to rectify it.

Just email them. How hard could it be?