SAU Community

R34 Vs R35 - Not School Holidays Yet, This Is Not What You Think.

Afternoon gents,

I always planned to buy another GT-R, previously I had a daily driven R33 V-Spec, R34 Turbos, tuned, nismo suspension, etc etc, basic mild bolt ons, and whilst it's still a couple years out (I promised myself I would achieve some other financial goals first before plunging decent dollars back into cars) I am already having a hard time tossing up between what was always the plan, an R34, and buying an R35 instead. The car will be a weekend only car, I'll keep my Silvia/buy something else for track duties. I will buy it with my own money, not finance.

I've been for a spin in a 34 that was similarly modified to my 33, and it was as you'd expect, a more refined, nicer, newer version of what I had. I've driven an R35 also - back in 2008 before Nissan had one in Australia officially as I was writing for a motoring website back then and it was a private import, and it struck me as being very large, very heavy, far more refined, quiet, comfortable, torquey, but very much a different beast.

For an R34 I'd be looking for a V-Spec 2 and the plan would ultimately be to put a 3L bottom end in it, the usual bolt ons, etc, and aim for 3-400awkw while going for a Z tune style look. I realise an R35 can achieve that figure with far less hassle and basic bolt ons/Cobb etc and likely go faster anyway. plus it'll maintain it's comfort and refinement, but will also be a slightly less "involved" drive and in my opinion not sound as good. Then there's the question of maintenance and repair costs. I can quite safely do almost all of the service and repair to an RB26, I have no hands on experience with the VR38. I doubt the local Nissan has seen one either. Questions around the box seem to come up regularly on here.

Yes I will drive both and I assume 2011-2013 version will be affordable by then, especially if an R36 (apparently hybrid?) comes out, but I'm interested in hearing from people who have owned/currently own both and how you feel they compare. I keep in mind than a VP2 will be a good 15yrs old by then.

Ideally, I'd have them both, but I'll have to choose just one.

Thoughts?

Good topic. One that has been discussed at length between a mate and myself.

Looking forward to responses from those who have owned and modded both.

For me, I would go the raw R34 route, provided it was already fully built and 50K+ had been spent on it, and in pristine condition, which you can have for 60 - 70K.

The R35 while quicker and more refined etc still has the dual clutch hamstring and now I feel is outdated by other cars that will be coming to our shores shortly due to the meltdown of Ford / Holden, i.e the Dodge and the Camaro which are just as quick around a track and have the RWD drivers aspect.

Lets face it, we drive these cars for the 'event' they provide on every drive.

Skids win every time.

The bad time is that you are paying big dollars for an ooold old car and that hurts. But hey I've always wanted a built R34 GTR in Bayside Blue.

• Like 1

Have owned an R34 GTR in the past (was not heavily modified) and currently own a 2012 GTR with basic mods (exhaust, air filter, cobb tune etc).

They're very different cars, the R34 had a more raw, old school feel. Tuning potential is good for both, but better for the r35. The r34 is obviously a dated car now however.

The R35 is a much better platform to begin with and there is no way I would ever go back to an R34 (have no real need/want for 'old school', much rather prefer modern technology and so on). I'd say in terms of sound, the induction sound is better in the R34, exhaust note is better on the R35 (i'm running a meistershaft), it sounds much louder and more exotic.

So it is pretty much exactly as you describe, do you go for old school, or do you embrace tech and move forward with a better car that makes more power, easier.

If i had to choose between the two, I would pick an r35 any day of the week. But I'm biased.....maybe I'll feel differently in 10 years time.

Edited by IOWNU

I won't look at the camaro, it's GTR or nothing pretty much.

The 34 has the history, as it was the one I wanted for so long. Manual, high revving engine with ITBS just glorious. I'm from the Fast and Furious generation and was a big Paul Walker fan, as sad as that is.

Given the main driving the car will do is weekend jaunts and the occasional dinner outing, the 35 looks very attractive in terms of comfort (yes I realise neither are "comfy" cars by comparison) and ease of use.

Maintenance cost scare me a bit and the lack of a manual is a blessing and a curse.

Edited by ActionDan

Just watched that video, that Camaro is such a nice car - in my opinion much better looking than the 35 as I like square angular lines.

Interesting what they say about liking the Camaro more for the involvement/feedback etc.

I know a R33/34 doesn't feel that muted as I've owned one and driven it hard, it had the all wheel drive grip, but only when you pushed it hard enough to spin the rears and needed it, it would also power slide.

I think the 35 requires a lot more aggression/skill than I might be capable of in that respect.

Having driven neither cars, my opinion is clearly that of a seasoned expert.

If it's a weekend car, I would take the 34. For me a well done 34 will turn my head faster than a 35. Speed wise, meh they both either have or have the potential to match million dollar supercars. The idea of a blue VSII with a 3L bottom end running a responsive 400+awkw is the stuff wet dreams are made of.

As far as road presence goes, this is hard to beat:

360816.jpg

Dare I say a 34 will also hold it's value better? I think you'd be less concerned about tuning a 34 too as it's much easier and much more tried and tested than a 35, not to mention cheaper (but you're starting from a higher level of tune with the 35 so that's understandable).

If it was a daily then it'd be a 35, hands down. But it's not, so go the 34 :)

I love TV2 but I'd end up with KV2 and black wheels I think. Edit sorry, nerded out - Bayside blue and Athlete Silver, or is it Atheltic Silver? Either way, Silver.

The hard part is knowing that for the money, you could've had a 35 and I am damn sure I'll always be reminded of that fact by my mates etc. The 3L wouldn't come along until the 26 needed love, so in reality, it might not happen as I'm reluctant to engage in "unneeded" work when I know I can make a decent 350awkw from the 26.

I know the missus would much prefer the 35, and for the type of driving I think it'll be doing, weekend trips away etc, in many ways the 35 seems the better pick, power when you want it, more livable when you don't.

I just wish it wasn't so unattractive from the front end, I love the 35 from the rear, and the interior is great too, but the front doesn't fully deliver for me.

Edited by ActionDan

Interior is nothing special in the r35 (but I guess I'm comparing to Euro cars I own/ I have owned).

They had to cut costs somewhere lol....and it is by no means a comfy car, but would still be comfier than the R34.

Best of luck with your future decision, you can't go wrong either way!

Have driven both on a race track and hands down you should buy a R35. Parts are getting a lot cheaper for them now and a lot of info out there to modify them but little is required. Im running a Haltech ECU, 16psi, e85, coil overs, whiteline sway bars, HKS transmission cooler and doing 63.2sec around Wakefield on Formular R tyres. You will need to spend a lot of money to get a R34 to do that and be reliable, Best thing is the r35 still feels so nice driving on the road and wife takes the kids to day care in the it still as its so smooth to drive.

As an all round fun car you can not beat an r35, and if you want to drive them sideways they can drift just as good as any old school awd gtr just turn the traction control off and hang on.

post-36356-0-15262400-1409988889_thumb.jpg

I have no ideas about Wakefield times, Winton is my local track.

What sort of power did you end up with and what sort of money did that cost if you don't mind me asking, you can PM if you prefer.

Is that a dedicated e85 tune? Assuming you grabbed injectors also.

What's it like daily? My car is unlikely to see a track as I have a dedicated car for that

My car runs 375kw on BP ultimate and 415kw on United E85 on 16psi power is at all 4 wheels. cost for all power upgrades is under 10k with a ecu upgrade and transmission cooler. If your only going to use it for road the stock suspension is perfect I still ran on the track for one and half years till i put coilovers in.

Buying an R35 for street use only seems pointless to me defiantly if your going to do a few mods and have 400kw. Its drivers perfect and smooth on the street but good luck keeping a licence. Its hard to explain but if I wanted a fun road car I would not buy a R35 for that purpose. its not boring to drive on the street but you have to be doing over the double to speed limit to make it feel like your going fast...

Had an e93 m3 as a daily until I recently replaced it, perfectly fine vehicle for daily use but not in the same performance league as a GTR.

Has anyone driven the M4 yet?

Like the look of them and can't go wrong with twin turbo.

They weren't out when I was looking at buying recently though.....