SAU Community

N/a R34 Vs N/a Supra

Greetings SAU Members,

I'm some freshie on this forum and was looking for someone to give me some insight and answer a few questions for me

Feel free to read the TL;DR down the bottom

My Mate owns a N/A Supra and it goes like the clappers (For an N/A with not allot of mods)

I'll set this out to what I've figured on both vehicles,

Supra

Engine/Speed

- 2JZ (Impressive motor for it's time) I'm pretty sure the take off and high speed of a Supra is definitely superior compared to the non turbo R34 Engine,

Handling

- the Supra is light but has a very strange weight ratio the back is defiantly light but where as the front is a little bit more heavy the handling is quite good, I'm guessing due to the how large the body is that the weight is quite well widespread on the road making it able to take corners quite well and how small the body is there is little body shake at all when cornering. But however I've been told the Skyline has impressive handling and has the superior edge on the supra as it's not so wide and can corner quite well.

Fuel Economy/Basic Commuting

- The Supra / My Mates get's pretty horrible mileage but at around 120km/h speeds you can just let off the accelerator and the vehicle will just pretty much roll and maintain it's speed quite well before you need to accelerate again, but still the 2JZ Swallows fuel when used in any sort of 'hoon' manor so i'll have to say the N/A Skyline would have a slight upper hand.

The Backseats are definately something everyone crys about in the supra so I won't really classify this vehicle as a 4 seater, sitting in the back of the supra isn't insanely difficult and I'm 6'2 but definately Would not like to be back there for a long trip. Where as the 2 door skyline still has quite a bit of room in the back even for the coupé version

R34 Skyline N/A (Coupe)

Engine

- I'm not very familiar with the Skylines engine but i've heard N/A It's not the most impressive engine.. However with most N/A's which have a Turbo variant that's basically always the case. The engine is not necessarily as fast as the JZ but I've heard it's not that quite slow still and it can keep up. I'd love as much information on the engine as i haven't really researched that much on the N/A Version of the skyline

Body

- The Body on a skyline is fantastic the R34's body is definitely my favourite Mean looking whilst looking nice and slick (Even although it looks quite Rectangle) it's not so wide so it's easy to get into parks and other tricky spots. I'm not so sure on how the skyline handles the GT version that is, I've had a family member own a GT-R and that was just insane great in corners but again that's AWD so I'm not really thinking of how that performed. Never sat in a n/a Skyline before so not even sure what it's like through the corners.

Fuel Economy/Basic Commuting

- The interior is definitely allot more stock and simplistic compared to the supra and you can find interior parts for the skyline allot easier than the supra's which is always a benefit, Personally I don't mind the Supra Interior but i find that as a daily vehicle the Supra will definitely not be a superior choice. the backseats actually have room which I like and the boot space is reasonable.

I'm not sure on how fuel economy goes with the N/A Varient but I've heard the Turbo Version gets quite good Economy but still there is allot of differences in power and performance.

TL;DR

Comments:

I'm looking to purchase either an RX-8 or a non Turbo R34, The R34 will definitely be a cheaper option and allot easier on my wallet but just wondering how it would stand up against a N/A Supra and how a N/A Skyline Handles, I'm not to fussed on the speed of an N/A R34 but really just to see if it's good with economy and could keep up with my mates Supra.

I'll most likely be purchasing a stock R34 for around 10k and just adding on stuff as I go.

if speed is all you care about, and beating your mate...

get a SSS pulsar.

HAHA I love that picture mate, a friend of mine is trying to invest in an either AE86 or a 180sx but too much Takumi Tax will have him drawn back, Cheers for your input an SSS Pulsar still is an al-right vehicle in my books

i bet a N/a Supra with my N/a R33 back in the day. Only by one car length, and he had a passenger. That being said, i also bet numerous n/a r34s with my r33.

All money invested in maintenance and making it run like new (engine fully syntehtic oil, tranmission fluids, diff fluids, new panel filter, sparkplugs, cleaned air flow, cleaned intake, cleaned fuel tank, replaced catalytic converter, cleaned terminals and sensors etc..)

Mods = None....none at all.

RX-8 will deffs chew up your money, bigger p plater money pit.

If i were you id go, Golf GTI, Ralliart lancer, xr5 turbo etc... 0-100 5.5. secs average, enough to beat nearly every p plater :P

i bet a N/a Supra with my N/a R33 back in the day. Only by one car length, and he had a passenger. That being said, i also bet numerous n/a r34s with my r33.

All money invested in maintenance and making it run like new (engine fully syntehtic oil, tranmission fluids, diff fluids, new panel filter, sparkplugs, cleaned air flow, cleaned intake, cleaned fuel tank, replaced catalytic converter, cleaned terminals and sensors etc..)

Mods = None....none at all.

RX-8 will deffs chew up your money, bigger p plater money pit.

If i were you id go, Golf GTI, Ralliart lancer, xr5 turbo etc... 0-100 5.5. secs average, enough to beat nearly every p plater :P

Yeah definately the GOLF GTI is impressive for a P-Plater chops people but still just wondering if the R34 would be a satisfactory choice

N/A R34 is just eye candy man, Sister drives a n/a GTV. i drove it for 6 months, its okay... Corners well, has active limited slip diff...etc, but yea, power is just meh. A standard 2010 v6 camry would pull on the N/A r34...Not a good feeling at all.

N/A R34 is just eye candy man, Sister drives a n/a GTV. i drove it for 6 months, its okay... Corners well, has active limited slip diff...etc, but yea, power is just meh. A standard 2010 v6 camry would pull on the N/A r34...Not a good feeling at all.

Hmm a definate shame, my mates v6 commo might pull harder,

what do you think just improving the handling of the r34 might make my life driving it a bit more fun? like adding aftermarket suspension etc to improve handling and improve my driving skills,

i could practice like a hardcore aussie Takumi lol, as long as it keeps up with an N/A Supra and doesn't get completely romped i'll be happy

If you get one in good nic should be sweet. Yea handling wise its pretty awesome. I found the r34 to handle much better than the supra. Very firm and responsive, however the GT-V is a 2000 model and featured turbo charged version: 4 piston brakes, GT-T suspension, GTT diff etc... Which is why the car was so great in handling, not sure about the standard N/As...

But yea, as i said before, a well maintained n/a skyline is probably the best and quickest skyline you could buy. Be prepared to spend 13-15k on a fairly decent r34 with full service history etc... Dont do the common P plater mistake of buying the r34 with the most mods, or the best paint colour, thats the stupidest way to buy a car. In the long run the well maintained r34 will be the cheapest r34.

If you get one in good nic should be sweet. Yea handling wise its pretty awesome. I found the r34 to handle much better than the supra. Very firm and responsive, however the GT-V is a 2000 model and featured turbo charged version: 4 piston brakes, GT-T suspension, GTT diff etc... Which is why the car was so great in handling, not sure about the standard N/As...

But yea, as i said before, a well maintained n/a skyline is probably the best and quickest skyline you could buy. Be prepared to spend 13-15k on a fairly decent r34 with full service history etc... Dont do the common P plater mistake of buying the r34 with the most mods, or the best paint colour, thats the stupidest way to buy a car. In the long run the well maintained r34 will be the cheapest r34.

Yeah there is a nice importer that does his Skylines for 13kish and they have about 80,000k's on clock thing is that they are unused and that's like a 10 year old suspension not too sure on that but would like to check em out

fk i've underestimated the power of dat vtec, god as soon as i think of a honda i think of that dude in intiail D who drives the honda civic and does that ducktape deathmatch with takumi....

they are unbelievably strong vehicles.... it scares me

Anything with a turbo will make Hondas eat dirt. But i have been in my mates civic, and for a 4cyl N/A, they go incredibly hard. The autech s15 (high comp, high lift cams N/A) are also quite quick, but the s15 is quite heavy in comparision to a civic.

Anything with a turbo will make Hondas eat dirt. But i have been in my mates civic, and for a 4cyl N/A, they go incredibly hard. The autech s15 (high comp, high lift cams N/A) are also quite quick, but the s15 is quite heavy in comparision to a civic.

how would a civic go against an N/A Supra lol?

how would a civic go against an N/A Supra lol?

Civic ep3 will chop an n/a supra

N/a supra 0-100 = 7.2 seconds

N/a r34 0-100 = between 7.5 to 8.5 seconds

Civic ep3 0-100 = 6.4 seconds

DC2 integra type R = 6.2-6.9 seconds

That should answer your question :P

Please consider that Honda's are manufactured to be fast N/As, where as supras and skylines are engineered to be fast turbo's. N/a supras and skylines are bottom of them range cars built for efficiency during the 1990s, no performance intended.

Civic ep3 will chop an n/a supra

N/a supra 0-100 = 7.2 seconds

N/a r34 0-100 = between 7.5 to 8.5 seconds

Civic ep3 0-100 = 6.4 seconds

DC2 integra type R = 6.2-6.9 seconds

That should answer your question :P

Please consider that Honda's are manufactured to be fast N/As, where as supras and skylines are engineered to be fast turbo's. N/a supras and skylines are bottom of them range cars built for efficiency during the 1990s, no performance intended.

AHHH oath thanks 4 this mate

the N/A 34 isn't as slow as i thought

• Like 1

No problem

Something to consider watching before you make up your mind.

Clutch is dropped at 0:22, reached 100 at 0:31

wasn't immaculate gear shifting but i get your point.