SAU Community

Ozygen Race Fuel Concentrate

C4a0s

Hi guys

just wanna share something and show you the results..

background:

a mate has a chemical company that makes this race fuel concentrate, called Ozygen

claims to increase the octane levels in your petrol but does not leave a red residue on your plugs and engine like what all octane boosters do. it cleans your engine and makes the carbon come off easily.

I was skeptical at first until I tried it and an independent workshop verified the results. we checked the plugs before and after using Ozygen... and ran my 34 on the dyno for over 20 runs. results were consistent...there is an overall minimum 3% increase in torque and power and a 10% increase at the 3k to 3.5k rpm range..

what do you think?

post-109070-0-06714300-1410649666_thumb.jpg

Ok. I will bite and be the first to call bs.

But at the same time glad it appeared to work for you.

Why did the afr's change the way they did?

Edited by Ben C34
  • Like 1

Also I don't use octane booster, but how much is the "residue on plugs and engine" actually a problem.

Also octane on its own doesn't make more power. Advancing timing or raising boost to make use of the octane makes more power.

from what i gather... the afr changed slightly because of the addition of the race fuel but the ecu compensates for it thats why the change isnt that big.

speaking to tuners, this residue thingy wont kill your engine immediately but it coats the cylinders and plugs. if it stays on the plugs, it's probably gonna stay on the inside walls of the cylinder right? so why is that a big deal? i think its because this residue will then stick to the walls instead of oil that lubricates the moving parts. similar to smoking and tar stuck in lungs?

as for the making of power... the closest comparison I would make is if u pump 91 octane vs 98 octane and how the ecu compensates for it but yeah the extra octane allows for more advanced timing which you could do... or make use of the increase in octane as a safety..

i didnt think this product claim worked too at the beginning until i saw the results on my own car...so yeah glad it works :) I can understand if at first, second or even fifth glance, u'd think its bs.. the workshop i went too, everyone thought it was bs as well but physical evidence convinced all of us :)

I have to say I am sceptical. Apart from putting this substance in your tank what else was done between runs? Do you have an aftermarket ecu? Was there any alteration to timing or fuelling? Ideally you would have had a small fuel container and then immediately done a run with fresh straight petrol. I would like to see timed 80 - 120km/hr runs in third and fourth compared. In short I would want to see a lot more testing. How much does this stuff cost and does it work out cheaper than better quality fuel? And does it really make any difference to a car with a stock ecu?

It is possible that you have stumbled across a miracle additive but every other additive, tablet, device or black box in the past has not stood up to rigorous testing.

Ok. Here's another question for you.

Why was it run 3 compared to run 13? 2 he so many runs in between?

good question. we had about 20 runs that day.

about 5 - 6 runs without Ozygen. why? to make sure data was consistent and for calculations, we took the average.

since the Ozygen was added at the top of the tank and pick up was at bottom of tank, we wanted to ensure the race fuel concentrate was thoroughly mixed so we had another couple of runs.

last few runs, u can see the improvements but even then we took the average for our calculations and not the highest.

as for mods, everything other than exhaust was stock. exhaust was a weldina NE-1.

But the point to make is, .....without changing anything in between the runs, this fuel concentrate can give u an overall of 3% improvement throughout your power and torque graphs. the consistently biggest improvement was at the 3k rpm region at 10%

Well the fuel mixes pretty quick if you let the car idle. The pump just returns it to the tank and stirs it up so I don't really buy that explanation. Obvious that I'm a skeptic!

Post all runs for comparison. Forget this average business.

I have to say I am sceptical. Apart from putting this substance in your tank what else was done between runs? Do you have an aftermarket ecu? Was there any alteration to timing or fuelling? Ideally you would have had a small fuel container and then immediately done a run with fresh straight petrol. I would like to see timed 80 - 120km/hr runs in third and fourth compared. In short I would want to see a lot more testing. How much does this stuff cost and does it work out cheaper than better quality fuel? And does it really make any difference to a car with a stock ecu?

It is possible that you have stumbled across a miracle additive but every other additive, tablet, device or black box in the past has not stood up to rigorous testing.

Everything is stock on my car other than the exhaust. no tuning no adjusting done. Car was on the dyno the entire time.

tank was filled to the max with 98 petrol from Caltex the day before.

yes u are right abt the ideal conditions but the take away from this is...even a stock car without special conditions can benefit from this race fuel concentrate.

actually if u can provide additional advice and methods/ways to test this product rigourously, I'm sure my friend would be more than happy to oblige. I'm not a workshop/laboratory owner so all I could do to verify his claims was to bring it to an independent workshop.

Well the fuel mixes pretty quick if you let the car idle. The pump just returns it to the tank and stirs it up so I don't really buy that explanation. Obvious that I'm a skeptic!

Post all runs for comparison. Forget this average business.

sure.. i'll just need to get it from the workshop. not a problem.

Here's how it works.

Additive containing "stuff" other than petrol goes into tank. Perhaps the "stuff" is highly oxygenated, per the name. This decreases the stoichiometric air requirement of the overall fuel mix in the tank.

ECU, knowing nothing about this change, continues to throw exactly the same amount of fuel into the engine with each injector pulse. This quantity of fuel needs less air, because of the "stuff". Engine now runs a little leaner - which in a standard Nissan setup and fuel map is perfectly fine, seeing as they typically run pretty rich under load.

Hey presto. More power, exactly as you would expect if you did the same thing by taking a nibble out of the fuel tables in a conventional tuning scenario.

Now, here's the best bit. No octane boost can increase power made by a stock management Nissan engine if nothing else changes except the octane rating of the fuel. Engines in fact make the absolute most power when run right at the limit of detonation. If you build and tune and engine right there, then add octane booster to the fuel (again, provided the octane booster does nothing else to the fuel mix except raise the octane), then the engine should actually make LESS power.

The only way that octane booster can make more power is if the Nissan ECU has been so scared by running on low octane fuel or perhaps blocked injectors/weak fuel pump is making it lean out that it is running on the knock maps in the ECU and the booster allows it to return to the main maps.

Some engines, like Ford straight 6 nuggets, seemed to have fairly decent ability (in the EEC4 ECU, not the engine so much) to wind in extra timing to take advantage of an increase in octane and give better performance and mileage. Not our Nissan ECUs so much though.

How much is it? Specifically to compare to the price of tolulene

Your "stock ECU" revs to nearly 8500rpm???

From my experience, more oxygenated fuels will run leaner with a mapped ECU. Im pretty sure stock BNR ECU's will ignore their O2 sensor and use the AFM's. But for some reason, your car is seeing more air flow and the mixtures are richer, where the product claims to be oxygenated which should be leaner.

I also agree with GTSboy, the Nissan ECU's don't have an active knock circuit, more reactive where noise is registered and it pulls timing. Its not like the 99-on Sub WRX/STi's which can "release" additional timing within its pre configured tolerance

Lastly, I would completely ignore the torque increase (at 2-3.5K) going off this run, one run starts starts before 2300rpm and the other starts after 3200 RPM so you can expect a massive difference

Here's how it works.

Additive containing "stuff" other than petrol goes into tank. Perhaps the "stuff" is highly oxygenated, per the name. This decreases the stoichiometric air requirement of the overall fuel mix in the tank.

ECU, knowing nothing about this change, continues to throw exactly the same amount of fuel into the engine with each injector pulse. This quantity of fuel needs less air, because of the "stuff". Engine now runs a little leaner - which in a standard Nissan setup and fuel map is perfectly fine, seeing as they typically run pretty rich under load.

Hey presto. More power, exactly as you would expect if you did the same thing by taking a nibble out of the fuel tables in a conventional tuning scenario.

Now, here's the best bit. No octane boost can increase power made by a stock management Nissan engine if nothing else changes except the octane rating of the fuel. Engines in fact make the absolute most power when run right at the limit of detonation. If you build and tune and engine right there, then add octane booster to the fuel (again, provided the octane booster does nothing else to the fuel mix except raise the octane), then the engine should actually make LESS power.

The only way that octane booster can make more power is if the Nissan ECU has been so scared by running on low octane fuel or perhaps blocked injectors/weak fuel pump is making it lean out that it is running on the knock maps in the ECU and the booster allows it to return to the main maps.

Some engines, like Ford straight 6 nuggets, seemed to have fairly decent ability (in the EEC4 ECU, not the engine so much) to wind in extra timing to take advantage of an increase in octane and give better performance and mileage. Not our Nissan ECUs so much though.

Thanks for the insight GTSBoy. It could be similar to what you say about this more oxygenated fuel making the engine run slightly leaner thus getting more power yet safe because typical stock nissan engines run richer by default.

Either way, I think the product is meant for people who want a bit more kick during track days without touching any settings etc as opposed to using it on a daily basis. Dont think any decent tuner will tune a daily drive on octane booster or race fuel. In fact all of them that i asked swear off octane boosters for the residue etc issue.

That said... I like the additional benefits that come with it...which is the carbon cleaning part which is like a combination of octane booster plus injector cleaner but yet in reality we cant use both products at the same time and get the increase performance.

Your "stock ECU" revs to nearly 8500rpm???

why not? my tacho goes to 10,000rpm and its a BNR34, surely 8500rpm is possible?

oh... GTSBoy, correct me if i am wrong but I think most octane boosters "give" extra power thru the combustion of a tri methy something compound in addition to raising the octane that why they "give" extra power even though on stock ecu or any ecu for that matter..... BUT that compound as a result forms a phosphate or nitrate residue/coating on the inside of engine/cylinders.

oh... GTSBoy, correct me if i am wrong but I think most octane boosters "give" extra power thru the combustion of a tri methy something compound in addition to raising the octane that why they "give" extra power even though on stock ecu or any ecu for that matter..... BUT that compound as a result forms a phosphate or nitrate residue/coating on the inside of engine/cylinders.

You probably are wrong. It doesn't really matter what it is in the octane boosters that "burns". None of those chemicals are likely to have any more energy density (ie, MJ/kg) than the hydrocarbons that are in petrol. Hydrocarbons are a looong way up the list of energy dense chemicals.

The other way to look at it is that combustion is oxidation. Each oxidation event for a carbon or a hydrogen releases a certain amount of energy. Each oxidation even essentially uses up half an O2 molecule. For typical hydrocarbons the ratio of carbons to hydrogens is close to the same number. So ultimately (give or take a little bit), the amount of energy released is pretty much only dependent on the amount of air the engine can breathe. We all already knew this anyway.

The reason that different fuels allow us to make more power than normal petrol does is simply down to how hard we can lean on the tune. None of those fuels will really make more power than petrol will unless you wind in more timing or boost than petrol will put up with. Note that I am excluding evaporative cooling effects that you get from alchohol fuels which does give you some free chemical intercooling effect and hence actually increases the amount of air that the engine breathes in. I do this because a little bottle of octane booster in unlikely to provide any noticeable amount of evaporative fuel cooling effect.

If it raises the octane level you need to do something to take advantage of that extra octane in order to make more power. If you (or your ECU) do not do something to take advantage of it (more boost or more timing) then you shouldn't get more power. Leaning off of the mixture as discussed in previous post notwithstanding.

• Like 1

You probably are wrong. It doesn't really matter what it is in the octane boosters that "burns". None of those chemicals are likely to have any more energy density (ie, MJ/kg) than the hydrocarbons that are in petrol. Hydrocarbons are a looong way up the list of energy dense chemicals.

The other way to look at it is that combustion is oxidation. Each oxidation event for a carbon or a hydrogen releases a certain amount of energy. Each oxidation even essentially uses up half an O2 molecule. For typical hydrocarbons the ratio of carbons to hydrogens is close to the same number. So ultimately (give or take a little bit), the amount of energy released is pretty much only dependent on the amount of air the engine can breathe. We all already knew this anyway.

The reason that different fuels allow us to make more power than normal petrol does is simply down to how hard we can lean on the tune. None of those fuels will really make more power than petrol will unless you wind in more timing or boost than petrol will put up with. Note that I am excluding evaporative cooling effects that you get from alchohol fuels which does give you some free chemical intercooling effect and hence actually increases the amount of air that the engine breathes in. I do this because a little bottle of octane booster in unlikely to provide any noticeable amount of evaporative fuel cooling effect.

If it raises the octane level you need to do something to take advantage of that extra octane in order to make more power. If you (or your ECU) do not do something to take advantage of it (more boost or more timing) then you shouldn't get more power. Leaning off of the mixture as discussed in previous post notwithstanding.

thanks for this post :) its a good read/discussion

for what its worth, Ozygen helped my car run a bit better and made the carbon deposits come off easier so I'm happy with it for now :)

Hi Sean, dont mind trying this out, your immaculate R34 V-Spec "Nur" will rev to 8400 rpm without any issue :).

i typically dont rev mine past 7000 ish as they dont really make much power after that. - stockish ones i mean.

wonder how it goes with my ECU - HKS F-CON Vpro and all supporting mods running HKS GT-SS.

Hey Kushil... yeah i normally dont rev that hard too cos there's hardly any space on the roads for that plus the cops will be there waiting.

just got off the phone with my friend who's making this stuff.. quite interesting process really... GTSBoy has valid points but there are certain proprietary stuff/processes inside Ozygen as well that I cant mention on public forums but we can chat on fb ;)

think u might like what Ozygen can do for u :)

Edited by C4a0s