SAU Community

Product To Use Before Clay Bar

Lolrick

Hi guys, I've seen plenty of info on using claybars, but they never seem to mention which product is used to wash the car with beforehand. Currently, I'm using Meguiars Soft wash gel, as this is what I use to normally clean my car.

Do you use something a little 'stronger' to help strip the paint of any waxes etc still there before you attack it with the clay bar?

Thanks!

Mick

You can use one of those car washes that you leave on the car while foaming. Forget what it's called. Never used it.

However, if you thoroughly wash your car and then claybar it, there will be not a lot left on the paint. That's the job of the claybar. To strip everything off the paint.

Use dishwash liquid. very aggressive wash soap. should remove majority of contaminants.

all purpose cleaner is good for underbody etc.

then clay for the final cleanse of the surface.

Yeah I've heard to use washing detergent (though I think it was clothes detergent, not dishwasher?) which I used on my mits 380 without ill effects, but I've heard other opinions not to use it

Woah - "then clay for the final cleanse of the surface" Im interested to know what people are using after clay baring if anything .......

Use dishwash liquid. very aggressive wash soap. should remove majority of contaminants.

all purpose cleaner is good for underbody etc.

then clay for the final cleanse of the surface.

?

Well the day didn't go as planned, after giving the evo a good 2 bucket wash, all of the scratches and tiny dings were easy to see :(

I didn't even get to clay barring as I spent ages trying to remove all of the road tar specks (used an old, but sealed armouralll product :s)

Then, I found surface rust on the boot. My plan now is to attack the tar once more, then invest in some iron x, then spend ages with the clay bar!

Mate the job of the clay bar is to get rid of tar. If you have ever used a clay bar before then you will realise how quick and easy the clay gets rid of all contaminants. Just wash the car clean then claybar it.

Woah - "then clay for the final cleanse of the surface" Im interested to know what people are using after clay baring if anything .......

?

Buff, Polish, Wax

Waxing must be done after clay barring, Polishing/Buffing will get rid of any swirl marks etc first if you want to do this, but then wax must be applied

Buff, Polish, Wax

Waxing must be done after clay barring, Polishing/Buffing will get rid of any swirl marks etc first if you want to do this, but then wax must be applied

What ? nobody here alcohol wipes in between each step , clay baring leaves so much residue , same with polish = residue . Alcohol cleans between each step , therefore when final finish is applied surface is clean of contaminants .

Yeah generally I do the meguiars 3 step process, but I haven't come across this level of contamination before (only just bought this car). I'll try with the clay bar, it's just these specks are pretty damn big, I thought the clay bar was only good for the small stuff

Yeah generally I do the meguiars 3 step process, but I haven't come across this level of contamination before (only just bought this car). I'll try with the clay bar, it's just these specks are pretty damn big, I thought the clay bar was only good for the small stuff

What ? nobody here alcohol wipes in between each step , clay baring leaves so much residue , same with polish = residue . Alcohol cleans between each step , therefore when final finish is applied surface is clean of contaminants .

Sorry I thought you were confused what to do after clay barring. After re - reading your post it makes a bit more sense that you were more questioning if anyone is really going all out lol.

I haven't gone that far after clay barring before, usually just a good wash afterwards but I'm looking into something better to use post clay barring at the moment

Sorry I thought you were confused what to do after clay barring. After re - reading your post it makes a bit more sense that you were more questioning if anyone is really going all out lol.

I haven't gone that far after clay barring before, usually just a good wash afterwards but I'm looking into something better to use post clay barring at the moment

Final inspection - Light Cleanse does the job nicely

I normally wash after clay barring and just buff with mircrofibre after polishing until I'm no longer bothered :P

I'm about to make an order on waxit.com.au (which i believe is a forum seller/supporter) - if you want $10 off your first purchase, let me know and I'll send a loyalty email to you guys to redeem it (I then get 150 points to go towards something)