SAU Community

Optimum Settings For New Coilovers

IM-32-FK

I bought a new set of BC coilovers (the red ones not gold ones) and i was wondering if it is worth it taking it to a suspension place so they can full adjust the springs and dampers for the best nice, low and comfortable ride. Is it worth the price? pedders charge too much, like $140 and other places like big o tyres only $50. Or should i do them myself? ride now it seems ok, i just really adjusted the dampers to soft but it can be better. Any help, advice and tips would be appreciated. thanks

No. Fit them and adjust the dampers to suit your style. If they are too hard then you should have bought them with lower spring rates or gone for replacement shocks and springs for the stock setup

No. Fit them and adjust the dampers to suit your style. If they are too hard then you should have bought them with lower spring rates or gone for replacement shocks and springs for the stock setup

i know i was thinking i should of payed $100 extra and got the gold ones with that extra canister on the side.

When i was adjusting the coilovers i was measuring them up with my older ones ... do i adjust the bottom bit of the coilver or do i adjust the spring for height? i cant really remember what i did...also the button on top of the coilver soft damper = bouncy ride and hard damper = stiff ride? I JUST WANT BEST COMFORTABLE RIDE WITH LOW HEIGHT! its a r32 gtst by the way :bunny:

Adjust the bottom one. Don't adjust the locks around the spring.

Install them, get your ride height right and then play with dampers. I cant tell you damper setting 12 will be fine because what works for one person doesn't work for another. YOU know how you like your car to feel. Not me

Adjust the bottom one. Don't adjust the locks around the spring.

Install them, get your ride height right and then play with dampers. I cant tell you damper setting 12 will be fine because what works for one person doesn't work for another. YOU know how you like your car to feel. Not

i actually adjusted most of it with the bottom part but when i was lining it up to the right mm i did the spring too a bit too...what does it do? sorry im not 100% sure what the adjusters on the coilovers too..i just want the exact same settings on all the coilovers

Edited by IM-32-FK

It changes the spring rate basically. but if you loosen it to get lower spring rates then you run the risk of the spring falling out of the holders.

If it were me I would just measure all the spring heights and adjust the one you changed to be the same height. You will need to use something accurate like vernier calipers (if you have any/any big enough)

Then loosen the bottom one and spin the base to lower or raise the height. I put mine in the car and then adjusted them to suit the height I wanted. Measure the exposed thread, then adjusted the other side to be the same

The more you lower, the more adjustability you will have to add via adjustable bushes or arms to be able to get a decent alignment. The lowest you can go it about 350mm front 340mm rear (wheel centerline to guard) before the handling just becomes horrid. At that height you need to add quite a lot of adjustable components. If you can find the old SydneyKid group buy threads the info is in there.

Low and comfortable trade off each other, so you generally don't expect to get both.

Re dampener setting: set it half way then drive it for a while. After your used to it, then play with it for a bit.

It changes the spring rate basically. but if you loosen it to get lower spring rates then you run the risk of the spring falling out of the holders.

If it were me I would just measure all the spring heights and adjust the one you changed to be the same height. You will need to use something accurate like vernier calipers (if you have any/any big enough)

Then loosen the bottom one and spin the base to lower or raise the height. I put mine in the car and then adjusted them to suit the height I wanted. Measure the exposed thread, then adjusted the other side to be the same

so basically keep the stock spring height, just adjust the bottom bit of the coilover and the button on top for the dampers? damn, im not sure what the stock spring height was.

The spring adjustment is to adjust preload, BC will have a recomended pre load to start of with and for most people they will keep at that if you aren't fine tuning,. Eitherway its always good to check that preloads are set correct on all new coilovers before just chucking them in sometimes they are off.

Aren't BC dyno'd before they're shipped? If so, I'd leave it at the settings, maybe move it a little bit either way.

i adjusted the spring, i had to raise it a bit. Isnt that how u are supposed to change the height? move the spring up and down? i moved up the spring because it was sagging to the days. Someone told me here to change the adjustment at the bottom where the single bolt sits, but people at tyre shops told me to adjust the spring, so i took their word. Its sitting on r32 gtr stockies which is 225/50/16 and there is maybe half an inch gap between the arch and the wheels. Whats to point of buying coilovers if you are gonna leave it on stock settings?

seriously, i think i f**ked up, because the ride still isnt smooth, you can still feel it pretty hard going over potholes. The dampers are on softest setting too. Oh and parramatta rd too...it was a nightmare especially between parramatta and auburn

Edited by IM-32-FK

seriously, i think i f**ked up, because the ride still isnt smooth, you can still feel it pretty hard going over potholes. The dampers are on softest setting too.

they are coilovers, they are not soft.

bcs run i think around 8k which is double your stock spring rate. they are going to be hard because they are 8k coilovers, if they are not suited to how you like the feel possibly consider selling and buying the sydneykid setup.

they are coilovers, they are not soft.

bcs run i think around 8k which is double your stock spring rate. they are going to be hard because they are 8k coilovers, if they are not suited to how you like the feel possibly consider selling and buying the sydneykid setup.

the car still wobbles left to right when you go over those dodgy potholes, crevises, incles and declines etc...u know what i mean? i still believe they can run better i just need to know the right answer. Im gonna try to increase the dampers to hard and change my tires as i need to anyway. Also i want to know the best spring lengths and the length of the adjuster at the bottom. In time i guess

Edited by IM-32-FK

There are 2 adjustements on the spring. One is for adjusting height. One is for adjusting preload. They are not meant for adjusting the opposite thing.

You can either play with them and work it out for yourself (should take about 30 seconds) or you can google what the spring adjustments on a coilover are supposed to do.

^ This guy knows. I'd like a ride in your car one day.

i adjusted the spring, i had to raise it a bit. Isnt that how u are supposed to change the height? move the spring up and down? i moved up the spring because it was sagging to the days. Someone told me here to change the adjustment at the bottom where the single bolt sits, but people at tyre shops told me to adjust the spring, so i took their word. Its sitting on r32 gtr stockies which is 225/50/16 and there is maybe half an inch gap between the arch and the wheels. Whats to point of buying coilovers if you are gonna leave it on stock settings?

seriously, i think i f**ked up, because the ride still isnt smooth, you can still feel it pretty hard going over potholes. The dampers are on softest setting too. Oh and parramatta rd too...it was a nightmare especially between parramatta and auburn

Try increasing the dampers (i.e. making them a bit harder). Your springs are pretty stiff, and probably not that well dampened (considering the cheap dampers), expect a stiff ride.

I paid people at tyre shops to align my wheels, and my car drove worse afterwards. They also said that <insert tyre they are trying to sell> is better than what I have on my car, no, it's not. They also said that I couldn't fit 265/35/18 (on BNR34 wheels) on my car, psh. I would laugh at their faces if they told me to adjust the suspension height with the spring seat when I have base height adjustable struts.

I used to drive through Parramatta Rd on almost a daily basis with my GT-R. I had old TEINs on there, my gods it was horrid. At least the Ohlins installed now are more compliant (although not 'tuned').

FYI standard R32 GT-R spring rates are (from memory) 3 and 3.5 kg/mm (f,r).