SAU Community

Mig Welder Machines, Whats Good?

Dan_J

after a new mig welder as the board in my historic 135a cigweld is gone and it keeps pulsing every 2 -3 seconds,

mainly after something for thin panel/ exhaust stuff although if the pricing is good wouldnt mind one capable with more amps as even my 135amp was mostly fine with thick 5mm

also after a tig so if i can bundle the mig and tig for a saving that would work

whats everyone using and who has hook ups and such? :)

Edited by Dan_J

• 7 months later...

Ive also been looking at welders,we have a 3 phase cig transmig 330 at work and that's great but I want one for home that will be able to weld thick plates, as I want to make a shed to house my precious gtr. Anyone know of something single phase that will be up to it?

• 2 weeks later...

OK as a retired Welder Fabricator IMHO stay Well away from ANY CIG welding units!! They were good once but are crap these days (Smaller home mechanic models at least) The GIG consumables such as Welding and Brazing rods are OK but the Units themselves are not worth having unless they are better than 20-25 years old or more.

The Uni-Mig units I have a lot of respect for, they are reliable and get the job done.

Even for the Hobbiest WIA (Welding Industries of Australia) make good units although modern ones are likely better electronic current control using switch mode transformer's which is why modern welder's are by and large significantly more compact and lighter.

I have an older CIG TransARC 250 that is over 35 years old. A WIA 185 Mig, and a recent purchase for alloy work a UniMig 245 SMAW/TIG that I can even use to power my MIG Traveler head in my humble workshop.

So at the end of the day it comes down to ,
1 Budget
2 Usage
3 Ability

Bang for buck Uni-Mig are hard to beat

http://www.bocworldofwelding.com.au/media/pdf/file/library/WOWLibrary-GMAW-FCAW-MCAW%20Welding.pdf

useful info

• 3 weeks later...

as a working welder fabricator, myself and quite a few of the crew at work have newish cigweld machines, and we havent had one problem (touch wood)

we have also had a really good run from our WIA equipment.

unimig is the one id be staying away from, especially their 'hobbiest' welders. some real cheap shit internals in them (plastic spool gears etc)