SAU Community

345 Kit .. Any Thoughts?

Torques

I will need new front rotors for my GTST and came across this kit:

http://db-power.co.uk/products-page/front-big-brake-kits/345mm-big-brake-kit/

They seem to be using the OEM calipers on an adapter.

So only the leverage increases not the surface area of the pads or brake pad pressure.

I don't know where their rotors come from either, so a bit of an unknown.

The alternative is buying known good standard rotors for about 70% of the price of this kit.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Edited by Torques

There's nothing particularly wrong with using the stock calipers on bigger rotors. In some respects, the bigger the rotors you go up to (up from the 296mm standard size) the easier it gets to make a decent adapter bracket to do the job. With the 296->324 brackets, because the radial increase is not very large the adapters end up being offset (ie they move the caliper around the disc a little bit as well as just outward radially) which is not as nice. As you get bigger than that you can just push the caliper out radially, which is stronger. But, even when you are only going to 324mm you may have to grind some caliper away to get it to sit over the rotor and get decent pad contact. As the rotors get bigger, this can become an increasing problem. After all, the calipers were designed to sit over a disc with a certain radius and therefore circumfrential curvature. Increase the disc size and the outside edge of the disc becomes more "flat" compared to the original curve.

The page you link describes the kit as being "Brembo", which might imply that the rotors they use are Brembos. Which would be fine. I'd be checking though, because it is written in such a way that it might just be a leftover from a copy-paste from another product page that was poorly edited. Make no assumptions.

Increasing pad contact area is not really a concern. The Nissan pads are reasonably large - you get a decent contact area from them anyway. And larger pads don't actually increase the braking power anyway. Braking power comes from the hydraulics and the radius of contact - ie how far out from the axle the pad is gripping the rotor. The rest of the performance increase is from increased mass. You can stand on the brakes for longer and harder stops and the increased rotor mass gives you more metal to soak up the heat.

Edited by GTSBoy

Thanks for the replies,

I will have to check with the manufacturer about the required clearance and other work possibly to be done to fit this.

With brakes I will make no compromises, so it has to be a solid solution/adapters.

Too much at stake here.

Also I need to find out about the origin of the rotors since I don't want to be stuck with 'special rotors' I can not buy on the free market.

The 324mm solution seems not to be that favourable then?

If all fails braided lines + new fluid + new rotors/pads might do the trick.

Cheers ..

Edited by Torques

324mm is good because it's the standard Nissan Brembo rotor. It's not a massive upgrade from 296, but worthwhile. The brackets are not ideal and the need to grind the calipers not the best either. Because of that, if I were to go to the effort to upgrade my brakes seriously, I'd do it "properly" by buying a set of D2 or Ksport style ching chong brakes. Plenty of people using them, and they're not hideously expensive, and they use rotor and sics sizes that give you options to further upgrade those items with more conventional brands. Although, if I were to really upgrade, I'd also consider a set of R34 brakes. 310mm without need for brackets (need the R34 rotors and calipers, obviously). An even smaller upgrade from 296, but given that I started with 280.......everything is good.

Hmmm

OK ... thanks.

I have 17'' GTR rims, so my options might be limited.

From 294 to 310mm is not really a huge step, so cost wise I might have to explorer this.

I will have to buy new rotors anyhow, and price wise they don't differ a lot between GTST GTT or GTR,

If all fails possibly a set of new rotors, pads, and braided lines will help as well.

You wouldn't fit those 345mm brakes under your 17s anyway. ~330mm is about the limit, depending on the caliper in use. Similarly, you wouldn't fit any of the 356mm or so kits under there.

And a correction. I typo'd in my earlier post. "sics" was supposed to be "pad". Dunno how I managed that one.

OK,

Thanks again ... that kinda limits the options.

i checked on the price for used GTT calipers and they're too expensive to justify going the 310mm route.

So what's left is

Unique Auto Sports

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Parts-Shop/stage-1-brake-upgrade-kit-642.aspx

or just getting the standard rotors ...

The chinese 330mm kit should fit fine under most 17s. If you're tracking i'd go the 330 kit instead of the UAS one. You get hatted rotors (IIRC replacement rings are only $AU250) and braided lines with it. I found the pedal had a much nicer feel than the standard calipers with braided lines.

Thanks,

Do you have a link for that 330mm kit?

Unique Auto Sports replied and the price is too steep for 2 brackets (AUD 380)

(I get 2 good new rotors for that)

Also I would need different pads because of 'overhang'

These guys replied:

http://db-power.co.uk/products-page/front-big-brake-kits/345mm-big-brake-kit/

And said the kit might fit under the GTR rims .. I will need to take some measures I guess.

http://justjap.com/brakes/brake-kits/k-sport-front-brake-kits/nissan.html but plenty of places do them. You can also find them on ebay. Other names for the same stuff is G4, D2, ATTKD. Nismoid has run some group buys so check if there's anything active in that forum.

You dont need different pads for the UAS kit.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience

I have an r32gtst which had the stock brakes, a couple of long hills runs and long high speed downhill stops shown me they were average aswell.

So I went 324mm front rotors and adaptor aswell as hfms 337mm rear rotor upgrade and some castrol super dot fluid.

When I went to bed the brakes in I was able to get 10or so 120km -15km stops with no stress at all. Once bedded I have experienced zero fade on long hills runs and testing their limits in a local industrial estate (used 1/4 tank of fuel) still no issues

All on semi slicks aswell

But with just the 324 fronts it was a little too front biased

My 2c

post-93536-0-14528900-1414906183_thumb.jpeg