SAU Community

Rb20Det Valves Hit Piston Marks.

david69

As to the subject material of the photo though.....

I can't really see how you could get valve contact outside the relief on ALL the pistons. I can see how it might happen on 1 or 2, where someone has rotated the engine with no timing belt in it and contacted a valve which is a long way open. But if you made that mistake (which is not a terrible one anyway!) you'd be hard pressed to repeat it on every piston!

It could have been caused by some severe valve float at high boost pressures where the piston was rising and teh valve was hanging in the breeze......but I don't even know if that is remotely feasible. I'd suspect not.

Other than that......Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Its got me stuffed.they are 0.5 oversized pistons.every piston has these marks on inlet and exhaust.had stock valve springs in the head.im only concerned as I have a recoed skimmed head to put on and I am also installing some 264 9.0mm lift cams and also heavy duty springs.i am gonna check the clearances before final installation but this is just a mystery to me.looks like it has hit maybe on 3 occasions but on every piston.valves in current head do not have any clash signs on any of them.

As to the subject material of the photo though.....

I can't really see how you could get valve contact outside the relief on ALL the pistons. I can see how it might happen on 1 or 2, where someone has rotated the engine with no timing belt in it and contacted a valve which is a long way open. But if you made that mistake (which is not a terrible one anyway!) you'd be hard pressed to repeat it on every piston!

It could have been caused by some severe valve float at high boost pressures where the piston was rising and teh valve was hanging in the breeze......but I don't even know if that is remotely feasible. I'd suspect not.

Other than that......Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

And if someone put the timing belt on in the wrong position then turned the crank around or it skipped a few teeth while running ?

the valves in the current head are perfect.i imagine that someone stuffed up,realized then changed the head or the valves. I just cant understand how all the valves have touched at one point unless it was revved to the moon and all the valves valve bounced causing them all to briefly touch..could this be the only explanation.,i think cam timing would only affect one side or would it?