SAU Community

Spares For Motorsport

JimmyRickard

I want to build up a solid set of spare parts for the GTR as it's only being used for track duties and the parts on it will be getting tired.

What should I be on the lookout for when a GTR is being parted out etc.?

The gearbox and diff have just been reco'd and I'm on the lookout for a spare engine, but what are some other parts that will need to be replaced regularly?

As in parts from a wreck?

I don't thing much in the way of consumables will be reclaimable from a wrecked GTR to be honest. Most of the stuff you consume: tyres, brakes, tyres, bushes, tyres, pads, tyres etc you need to buy new.

I would think spare rims (so you can make sure you use up all your tyres) would be the most helpful if you are doing a lot of track work.

Agree there is little to keep from a wreck. I'd grab 4 hubs and all the control arms/castor rods, attessa pump/accumulator, ps pump and steering rack (reco it) but that is about all. Sadly panels can be handy like bonnet, guards, front bumper, bov return pipe, bumper reo but they are often missing or stuffed in a wreck or half cut anyway

For close race meets I take the short spares list: old but usable pads and rotors front and rear, oils and fluids.

For longer trips I take more stuff (a bit random) but based on stuff I've broken before like castor rods, spare bushes

And in the garage I have or am collecting engine, gearbox, diffs, subframes, attessa pumps, clutch/flywheel

But most importantly I regularly check and swap stuff over between meets; recently replaced the steering rack, tailshaft centre bearing, front rotors, subframe bushes, engine belts, coil packs, ignitor. Shortly need to redo all the rear bushes too.

And then call Pete if you get stuck :)

• 1 month later...

nasty.

I learned 1 more thing I should carry around, a spare FPR....looks like mine is dying slowly, luckily it was running way lean at idle but was OK on boost as the pressure rose. Lucky outcome because the other way around would have been an engine killer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And Evo, so when the Gtr breaks you've got a car to use for the rest of the day that won't break

Don't be deceived by this evil Evo talk Fatz,,,we all know GTR's spin bearings and their owners know it's going to happen sooner or later.

The evo boys just dump a load of oil all over the track and quickly trailer it back into the workshop for another rebuild. They just don't want to admit it.

Cheers

Neil.

Don't be deceived by this evil Evo talk Fatz,,,we all know GTR's spin bearings and their owners know it's going to happen sooner or later.

The evo boys just dump a load of oil all over the track and quickly trailer it back into the workshop for another rebuild. They just don't want to admit it.

Cheers

Neil.

I also find they, put them into the wall, when the computer says no....

Edited by toppertee

We have one at our workshop alot, sees more shop time than track time, only makes about 300 awkw, been in for diffs multiple times, transfer case, one gearbox, 3 turbos, manifold, exhaust, clutch, normally he's lucky enough to be able to drive it onto the trailer when the car shits itself, so it doesn't look as dramatic as a skyline fail. Yet they have there fair share of issues