SAU Community

Lsd Diff Choice

Rbdirty30

I'm chasing after abit of info on some rear lsd diff choices for my GTR 32 I'm running standard gear ratios front and rear, and the standard rear lsd. my front diff is a quaife helical. But I was wonder weather to run the standard lsd, 1.5 or 2 way in the rear, the reason I ask is that I've found a 2way pretty cheap but I don't want to just rush in and buy it without any advice. the car will be used for track/club days, drag racing and some street use. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I don't no much about diffs . Cheers

Mainly track days and drags , powercruise etc I'm running the car on drummed e85 because tas only has one e85 pump in hobart. I had a bit of a search I was wondering who has used what kind of setups, like a helical front diff and a 2way rear wondering if they are a good or bad together, I was also reading about the transfer case mod with the extra plates, might be the go whist the motor is out.

• 3 weeks later...

While I am here I will take a chance of being shot down, I had some info that my R34GTR has a Nismo 2-way LSD but it does not clunk or bonk, chatter or clatter when going slowly on lock.

It was on a work sheet for the car before I bought it, is it possible that it is still a Nismo 2-Way LSD????

Can you tell by looking at the outside of the casing????

Edited by TT350GT

As I understand it the 2 way locks up on acceleration and deceleration and the 1.5 on acceleration and 50% as much on deceleration.

It has been said that the 2 way is very clunky at low speed on lock, what makes the 2 way more clunky than a 1.5 way, the 1.5 still fully locks on acceleration, why would it be any different, maybe in reverse ??

Edited by TT350GT

No, you misunderstand the differences and the behaviours.

1 way only limits slip (there is no such thing as "lock") when under accel.

1.5 way limits slip on accel and partially (ie, to a lesser degree) on decel.

2 way limits slip fairly equally on both accel and decel.

If the breakaway torque (ie, how tight the diff is) is set quite high, then a 2 way will be nasty to drive around in carparks and the like because it will behave as if it is locked. If the breakaway torque is set at a lower level then you can generally get a 2 way to cruise around without being too painful. A 1 way will almost always be OK to idle around in carparks because you don't have much drive power on. So you're not accelerating and therefore not engaging the ramps that apply the clutches.

The standard R3x GTR diff is a 2 way anyway. A Nismo diff is essentially the same thing just with higher breakaway torque setting.