SAU Community

Strange Idle

Dylan454

Hi guys, first I have had a search and can't find any with my problem. Saying that it's not really a problem but something I would like to fix,

I have a r32 gtst, pretty basic, inter cooler, exhaust, splitfire's, boost set to 11 pound, the car runs fine and never misses a beat.

It used to always want to stall when I had my lights on or when cold but cleaning the Valve with the little screw in it fixed that (don't know the name).

So when it idles it will studder not drop revs but studder and not misfire. I'm thinking spark plugs because I haven't changed them since I got the engine or the 02 sensor or vack leaks. Just to be clear the car runs fine but it's just annoying having it idle weird.

Another thing it could be is the cam cover rebreathers I heard if the are not set up properly things can go wrong. On the far right breather I just have a filter from super cheap would that cause it. Just thought I would ask the pros. Thanks

Ok so today I have changed the spark plugs gapped to. 0.8. And did the ghetto approach to the rebreathers. And I unblocked the BOV, I had a plate blocking it so it would flutter, it us venting to atmosphere. So the idle is still shit and now the car will hunt. I will block the BOV again to see if it stops hunting and I noticed a lot of the vacuum hoses are split so I will change them. Also if I want to do the rebreathers properly where does the far right pipe go, I got the car with the filter on it, I have a video of it idling but I can't seem to upload it from my iPod

Ok so today I put the plate back for the BOV and blocked the vac line for it. I also cleaned the dump pipe o2 sensor.

To my surprise there is no more hunting and after I drove the car a little the studdering idle has gone away. I will see tomorrow when it's cold if it has truly been fixed.

That's not surprising. It would also work if the bov was plumbed back properly.

As hairdryer33 said they leak at idle, drawing unmetered air.

Edited by Ben C34

Ok so it is still idling funny, I'm going to change the vac lines at when I can be bothered but the valve connected to the rebreathers is making a funny wirling noise since I took the filter off, any idea's why? And should I take it off and ckean it.

You don't actually have any breather then, that pipe (which is supposed to run down the the black concertina pipe at the turbo inlet) is blocked with a bolt?

Have a bit of a think what you've done, the PCV can try to remove blow-by gasses when there's manifold vacuum, but not once there's manifold pressure.

Yeah that's bad mmmkay.

Look for pics of stick setups and do that.

In the second pic is that short hose blocked it open? If open it would be causing the dud idle . If blocked it would be preventing crank case pressure escaping when on boost. Which will blow seals out and the dipstick.

It should be plumbed back into the turbo intake as jiffo said.

If it's open, put your thumb over it to block it and see if that helps the idle. That will stop it drawing In unmetered air.

It's not hard to make these engines idle correctly.

In the second pic that is the BOV. Vac line that is blocked with a bolt, I will put the breather pipe back into the turbo intake next time I'm in Perth. Thanks for the help so far.

I can't count sometimes. I meant third pic!