SAU Community

Torque Awkw Vs Peaky Awhp

Nismo 3.2ish

I know from my experience that torque down lower, built and tuned for response was better for my DD ride.

It seems easier and less expensive to get good HP from a peaky car. I could have just added a new age turbo and cams to my car and would have some impressive HP as the motor was already built to take it. But too laggy for a DD.

But what about on the track,drag and hill climb.

Say a torquey 26/30, 450awkw =approx (600awhp) against a 26, 600awhp Peaky build. Does this mean they are the same.

My car was 338awkw and peaky, change to a smaller turbo and cams only got 7awkw more but much better in every way , well for a DD.

Not sure if I have given an appropriate example, I think whatever makes you smile is the winner :)

If you make the same power, the same power 'earlier' is better.

However if you're out on the track, all that power at 4000 RPM is useless if you are making power between 5000 and 8000 and you're always in that rev range.

Really, you want the power where you're actually going to be using it.

Pete, torque rules. You don't have to get us to tell you that. Wait till your engine is built and report back.

Sound is the least concern of decent power. Coming into boost quickly is either done by smaller turbos or larger displacement. Larger displacement is the winning answer. Fatter power band. Off boost a larger engine will always be nicer than a smaller engine.

Seems like you are getting edgy!

• Like 1

How often would you drive your car at peak HP ?I would think the best overall Torque for the best overall power.

Only on the race track

And joining the M4-M5-M7-M1, great western highway

And every time I leave my drive way

Boost + 3.0ltr = addiction :D

• Like 1

Pete, torque rules. You don't have to get us to tell you that. Wait till your engine is built and report back.

Sound is the least concern of decent power. Coming into boost quickly is either done by smaller turbos or larger displacement. Larger displacement is the winning answer. Fatter power band. Off boost a larger engine will always be nicer than a smaller engine.

Seems like you are getting edgy!

Hi Ben

At this stage I am not worried about my car and I am not getting edgy, impatient would be the word :(

I wanted more torque from the first trip home in the car, did a few changes and still wanted more, you blokes gave me enough information about 26/28,29,30 builds and I do not have to worry about it :)

I could not find anyone with my particular mods so I am not sure exactly what I will get out of my combination. I am sure I could have used a more balanced combination, but it will be more than enough for me as a DD to put a smile on my face and scare the crap out of me if pushed, but all good.

But there seems to be other opinions from blokes that keep their cars a 26 and modify from there. It also seems that a well balanced 26 goes like a bullet.

So maybe a few will let me see what a good 26 can do. I know there are threads all over this Forum, but just asked the question??

*waiting for the...

"buy a V8"

"3.0 don't rev"

"Sound like shit"

"2.6 for response"

"But the MINNNNNESSSSS car" #diff ratios

Was gonna say buy an XR6 Turbo if you want the torque from a standstill haha.

Mine only had 400hp and it was bake city from 2000rpm.

^^

I saw one bust a tail shaft stalling it up at the drags. Literally didn't move and it broke.

Try and do that in a Skyline ;)

I'm Sure Luke could figure out a way. That dude has a nack for breaking dielines.

^^

I saw one bust a tail shaft stalling it up at the drags. Literally didn't move and it broke.

Try and do that in a Skyline ;)

Was a common problem in the FG's for some reason, even with a bit of extra power. I never broke one but I killed a diff and box. The engine is still running today with over 400k on the clock, 325kw and 1000nm.

• Like 1