SAU Community

What Have You Towed With Your Stagea Lately?

Duncan

BTW Dale in NSW it is the manufacturer's recommended weight, or 1.5 times the weight of the tow car if there is no manufacturer weight (which I guess is the case with most imports, since the RAWS is considered the manufacturer).

Hey Duncan, the same rule appears to apply in VIC also, but the thing people appear to be missing is this;

If your towbar is rated to 1250kg, and the car is 1800kg; you can't just decide you want to exceed the load rating of the towbar and tow a load of 2700kg; simply because the car is heavy.

I'm pretty sure the Police would take the same view.

I know some of the C34 guys have 2000kg rated towbars (I'm sure yours is); but no towbar for an NM35 has been rated at more than 1250kg as far as I'm aware.

The chassis construction plays a big part in the industry's wholesale refusal to rate towbars for these cars over that of a fully loaded box trailer.

nah we towed it there to make sure we were OK, drove home fine with it. actually we had plenty of juice in the end

Dale, yeah mine is 2000kg, but even then the leaf for example would be 2.2 (1.8 + 400 trailer) so that's not great. Not to mention the tow bar was never engineered anyway (like every other mod I've got). Plenty of ways to potentially be caught out.

True Duncan, but 200kg is a lot different to 800-1000kg when it comes to overloading.

Congrats on yesterday's efforts too mate; go the Leaf!

• 1 month later...

There's a million different answers to my argument, I realise; but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

There are so many safe ways to tow race cars; this ISN'T one of them.

Mine is rated at 2000kg and is built around the rear of the car, not just bolted to the rear bar mounting points. I see what you are trying to get at with the overloading part, but the most it's ever had was somewhere around 1800kg (1080kg 180x, 660kg trailer, ~50kg worth of wheels/tyres)

I never saw a problem with how it was made and so far I haven't had any issues. Yes there is always the possibility of things going wrong, but that comes with every tow car doesn't it?

Also it has z33 brembo's all round, standard brakes were the first thing to change before towing anything. I feel safe enough to tow cars around and it is a whole lot better than some of the other things that are going around.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Those of you in a C34 Stagea, towing cars or heavy stuff, could i trouble you for some pictures of your towbars and what theyve been rated at? Specifically from underneath the car. I want to see how they are mounted and where they are mounted to.

Duncan, Atik & Dobo i would appreciate pics of yours as i need to be able to tow no more than a 1400kg car.

Thanks

Edited by THRLLR

ahh yeah....its damn heavy at 1200kg or was there something else wrong? It would be a shame if the club wasn't maintaining it's asset...

Yeah, just the weight and the fact that it pitches back & forth due to the short wheelbase. :yucky:

I reckon it weighs more than 1200kg too.

• 1 year later...

Been towing the Leaf to the rounds of the NSW Hillclimb champs; first round was Bathurst a few weeks back, and then Kempsey this weekend.

As usual the Stagea was faultless, other than getting under 250klm per tank.....

tow-leaf.jpg

(sorry for the terrible pic, Kel has an iphone)

• 2 months later...

Took the drift car in for its rewire on saturday.

Duncan you only get 250km? Mine usually does 500km suburb/main rd towing and 600km on the freeway. I towed to Sydney on 2 tanks earlier this year. Just needs new wheel bearings, they are horrible at the moment.

5779ba2f22623_ImageUploadedBySAUCommunit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, drunken_love said:

Does Anyone have pictures of where there tow bars mount to on a c34 stag?
Looking at making some...

If you can't see the best way to mount the towbar;

Perhaps you shouldn't be making one.

• 3 weeks later...

On 23/08/2016 at 11:51 AM, Daleo said:

If you can't see the best way to mount the towbar;

Perhaps you shouldn't be making one.

Just trying to find out where they mount from factory, I can fabricate a bar now worries.

Japanese towbars on cars this age are probably the worst I've seen; some legitimately use tow hooks as a mounting point.

A decent bar will pick up the bumper support mounts and forward under the wheel well for the torque arm.

Onky just realised that's a 5 door 1600....unusual!

We've been dragging the Leaf all around the state for the hillclimb champs, since the post above we've been to Grafton, Tamworth, Raymond Terrace and off to Canberra next weekend. Still going great, and yes we only get 250 to tank.....effortless but thirsty!

golden-electric-guitar.jpg

• Like 1