SAU Community

Differences Between M35 & Pm35/pnm35S?

300CHONG

Does anyone know what the main differences between the M35s & the PM/PNM35s are?

Just trying to work out upgrades/changes, and it'd be a help to sort out what can be sourced and what to avoid?

Looking at things like bodykits, bonnets, exhaust, wings etc etc

If you're talking cosmetics only, the most obvious difference is the headlights, so if they're different dimensions then stuff like the bonnet, grille, bumper and possibly front quarter panels may also be different.

If in doubt, hit up a site like www.rhdjapan.com and see if separate items are listed for M35/NM35 and PM35/PNM35.

Hertz is correct in saying the front ends are different between the two series. People have converted series 1 front ends to series 2, Cam has done such a thing.

The interior is different such as door cards and dash. Im pretty sure everything else is interchangeable. The only other thing that won't look right is an AR-x bar on a non AR-x car because of the overfenders.

Other than the cats and clearly Y pipe cat back exhaust will fit from a series 1 onto a series 2. I believe the series 2 also has different diff ratios and the front diff has stronger bolts or something?? I remember craig saying something about it sometime ago. Oh and we have a poo duct.

Im sure there is somethings that I've missed.

Edited by M35woah

Ok! I'll choose one thing to go with.

Exhaust

For upgrades, any "cat back" exhaust from the nm35 or v35 sedan will fit. In reality this is a Y pipe back exhaust for us.

Now, forward of that, headers and high flow cats / cat delete pipes to suit z33/v35 will fit your car. Some way require a little massaging to get through some areas, but will fit. The Y pipe itself I haven't found an aftermarket one, because the z/v item is shaped differently. But it wouldn't be hard for a exhaust shop to fab one up.

If I had the cash / motivation to do an exhaust there is stuff on YAJ I'd buy right now.... ;)

Any M35 will for a PM35 and any PM35 exhaust that does not include the y-pipe (most Japanese brands) will fit an M35.

Headlights and bonnets are different although all will bolt on to either model. Matt is correct, I did a series 1 RS to series 2 Axis S front conversion on my old Stagea.

Hmmm, I could have sworn I had a thread with pics on it here or on M35Stagea.info but can't find it. Might be somewhere in the "What have you done..." threads.

Quarter panels are the same.

Side skirts and rear bumper are interchangeable between models.

I think Cam has a V36 Y-pipe on his car, I think he said they're made from stainless steel as well?

Yep, as well as the rest of the exhaust.

Will be adding V36/Z34 OEM headers and a pair of Z34 de-cat pipes from Japan soon too (been sitting here for aaaages, just need to organise myself a bit better!)

G35/V35/Z33 high flow cats will fit on a PM35 (and an M35 but you will have one left over of course!). I have a set of Berk cats from a G35 - straight bolt up.

Can't do V36 headers onto any V35 cats though. Completely different.

• Like 2

Hi all been away from the forum for awhile.

All things going well I should have a 2005 PM35 with 3.5L v6 next week.

Took it for test drive yesterday, feels like it drives better than my ill fated 2001 M35 250RS, maybe just because newer and the extra engine weight?

Anyway despite best googling and searching here hard to find specific model info.

The windscreen has two small sensors to the side with two sort lines and longer lines near top visor area. Are these GPS sensor,aeriels or part of auto headlights or wipers etc???

Are the oil and filters same as the vq25dd engine? Just bought two lots other month as was on special before I lost the m35.

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the way it drives. Before I got my PM I testdrove a local M35 and wasnt real happy in how it drove. The PM feel more secure on the road and turned in a lot better, and the nvh seemed better in the PM as well.

Mine also has a sensor next to the interior mirror and it looks like it has holes in it underneath possibly for a speaker or mic. I think it might be part of the carwings which is useless but I couldnt be bothered taking that as well as the etc reader next to my left knee out.

Not knowing what filters you have, I use z436 on my PM35. If you dont use ryco, you can cross reference what you do use on thier site http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/application/make/nissan/model/stagea/series/ and it will give you a ryco equivalent.

Im using Mobil 1 5w/30 full synthetic.

• Like 1

mmmm thing is the series one doesnt have the auto leveling head lights, so I'm not sure if you'll lose that function.

If you search through Cams (iamhe77) posts I'm sure you can dig it up.

Ah, just realised youre talking about the fiberglass GB? Yeah, in the comments isn't there a bloke willing to mod it for series 2?

Edited by M35woah

How different is the overall bonnet design? Is it just different around the lights? The guy making them is awesome with custom work and has said he is happy to modify it around the lights to make it fit

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Well got the Wagon (PM35 350RX) and had proper drive on way home.

Very impressed and the 5 speed auto is way better behaved on the big hills. It came with one of those aftermarket English owners manuals, supposedly only 100kg heavier than the 250RS but carries it better.

Prob the 17 inch wheels make a difference, other wagon had 16's. This one has 3 brands of mismatched and 2 worn tyres and still drives beautiful and straight, will sort new tyres soon.

Has Pioneer Carrozia HDD radio, pretty much sussed out how it all works, find the reversing camera bit gimmicky and no substitute for knowing the size and feel of your car with the wing mirrors instead.

Quick photo on the way home :)

post-62258-0-03488900-1416461832_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Correct oil filter is Z445 (Ryco). Same as a 350z among other VQ35 powered cars.

As with many filters, you can have several filters which will fit the same motor.

I remember years ago many v8 heads would ask for a Z40 filter because it was a lot shorter than the Z24 listed for their holden v8,

but it wasn't 'technically listed' for their car but they used in race/restricted space applications.

I even think I had a z445 equivalent on my car when I first got it, but after cross referencing the genuine number went for the Z436 filter whicb is also listed for the V35 Skyline.

If you compare the two filters on ryco's website there's barely 1mm difference in the dimensions hence why both work.

Edited by YEE-HAA
  • Like 1

Re filters, this is from the NM35 uber thread - the Ryco's are pretty much identical.

Oil filter is Ryco Z436 or Z445 : Nismo (Veruspeed) 15208-RN010 : K&N: HP-1008 : Amsoil Ea012
z445 - seal diameter 63mm, height - 65mm, seam diameter - 68mm, thread size - M20-x1.5-6Hmm
z436 - seal diameter 64mm, height - 66mm, seam diameter - 69.50mm, thread size - M20-x1.5-6Hmm

• Like 2