SAU Community

M35 3Rd Brake Light Problems

rickskylinebnr32gtrjp

Fellow M35 owners, have any of you run into the 3rd brake light problem of it not working? And if so, what did you do to repair it?

Mine actually flashes on for a split second sometimes, but turns right back off even if the brakes are depressed and the other normal brake lights stay on. Also, if I bang on the 3rd brake light while the brake is depressed I can sometimes get it to flash but turns right back off.

Is the LED bulb assembly bad? Seems as if it's acting like there's a short in there somewhere. I plan on removing the plastic interior panel on the back to get to the assembly from underneath. Then use a test lamp to check the wiring. If the assembly is bad, I'm not so sure I want to purchase a new one from Nissan. If I can get inside the LED assembly, I may just wire in a new LED strip of lights myself.

Any thoughts on this?

Mine had the same thing. I used to do electronic assembly for a job so tried to fix it. After much internet searching it seems it is a sealed unit.

As it was buggered I thought nothing to lose if try to pull apart. The red lens is glued PERMANENTLY into the black part and I knew that. VERY carefully tried to prise it out, got about 80% before cracking the red lens which is a WOF fail here anyway.

Once I got inside the leds had a dry break somewhere but so tiny could not pin point it.

At this point I realised if I'd just cut my losses and cut in from the back through the black plastic I could have put a new led of some kind inside there like you plan to do.

In the end I bought a new one via Cockram Nissan in Christchurch for about $NZ 350ish as warrant was due soon.

Its pretty easy to pop of that interior panel, then there are about 5x10mm nuts to undo, one elec plug and the washer hose bit to pull off.

I suspect mine failed when it was still in Japan as I have a random cable that runs up the right hand side of my tailgate. Can't think of what else it could be for.

Do you think the cable in yours replaces the stock cabling only or also has a new LED strip? Curious if this problem is a wiring problem or an LED problem. From the first comment seemed like it was an LED problem, and now from what you are saying, it could be a wiring problem. I guess an easy test lamp check should confirm or deny the wiring.

Found the pics of the old one, should have taken some with lens off...

give you an idea of where to start anyway with your plan.

I have a friend with a spare LED strip like the one I used to install in my R32 GTR as a 3rd brake light (at the rear headliner inside the back glass) for the gee whiz aspect of it. Not sure if the hole where the wires pass through will be big enough to slide a new LED strip into or not. I may have to ream it out a bit for the LED strip to fit. Then there's the direction of the lighting to deal with, if it will be straight, etc. and if opening the hole more, I'll have to close it up with some sealant so water doesn't make it's way in. I'm not looking forward to messing with this. If I could get away without one that would be even better, but I definitely don't want to have to pay for a new one that will ultimately fail at some point as well.

Fail at some point? Hasn't it lasted well enough? Mine is still going strong after 13 years.

Try Amayama for new pricing, I think you will find it's not worth the effort.

Honestly, I don't know when mine failed and I have had the car for 2 years. It is 12 years old now. I would guess that if it's an LED problem, that UV and heat probably have something to do with it. Living here in Okinawa, Japan it is subtropical and the heat, humidity, and corrosion as well as UV are very strong here. I replaced sun damaged parts 10+ years ago on my R32 GTR only to have the sun damage the replaced parts (seals, weather stripping, wiper arms, rubber trim, plastic interior pieces, etc.) again. So, that's where I'm coming from if that helps define my statement of a new light failing again at some point. In this environment, it will be sooner than later and not if, but when.

As far as replacing parts, I go to the Nissan dealer out in town and with the yen getting weaker against the US$, the parts prices are getting more reasonable.

Do you think the cable in yours replaces the stock cabling only or also has a new LED strip? Curious if this problem is a wiring problem or an LED problem. From the first comment seemed like it was an LED problem, and now from what you are saying, it could be a wiring problem. I guess an easy test lamp check should confirm or deny the wiring.

I don't know really, I haven't had the chance/motivation to follow it.It comes out the side of the hatch trim and then into the top of it. It's held in place by some stick-on hooks.

It's definitely an LED problem. I cut the wires to the LED to reuse the connector then soldiered them on to a red 12-LED strip that works great! So to pass inspection, I'm going to figure out how I want to permanently mount the LED strip (I might use clear tape for temporary mounting) inside the window. Also, going to plasti-dip the red lens so the inspectors won't be confused and tell me that the original light needs to be repaired.

Edited by rickskylinebnr32gtrjp