SAU Community

Refreshing Rb30 Block

menthol369

Long story short the old block I had spat a bearing from oil starvation and ive picked up another block.

This block ive picked up was an "unknown runner" anf by the looks of it its done a whole lotta k's.

theres slight polishing on the bores and the bearings were pretty rubbish looking.

so the plan is to throw a new set of bearings into it and some new rings.

When putting new rings in, can you give the bore a light hone and use the standard 86mm rings?

Or do you go with some sort of over size ring?

Is there a lip on the bore?

If not it may just need a light hone and standard sized rings.

Get a machine shop to measure the bores and more importantly check for ovalarity, especially if your boosting it, if they are badly worn oval it may be wiser to go up a piston size and rings to match.

Also check the crank for scoring, if its not deep a linish could clean it up, otherwise you need to go undersied and the cranks have a hardened coating on them that you will be removing.

yep bloody pain getting a good one, and bloody expensive doing a full rebuild unless your ok with a slapper.. people are bullshitters too, mine with 120k apparently turnt out to be a joke.. and who seriously expects a 26yr old block to be sweet anyway.. not me :(

Edited by AngryRB