SAU Community

Post Your Evo

PranK

Here is my 7, original 76,000k's with a 2.3L Manly stroker kit, HKS cams, Hypergear highflow into 3.5 inch dump, Carbonetics twin plate clutch, T slot rotors with race pads. All ready for the Sandown track day tomorrow. :)

It made 270kw at 20psi, very responsive stealth setup. Should be great fun on the track, but it still needs major suspension work.

post-63525-0-62554400-1417137793_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-80660400-1417137936_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Have you taken that thing done the strip?

Not yet. Just waiting on some Yaris coils to run moar boost. It's getting set up for track, but I am sure it will run good times at Calder. I am a little worried about dropping the clutch at 6k though. :P

How did it perform on the track ? Did you have any problems with AYC running that much power?

I had a ball, Sandown is a fun track but hard on brakes with 3 big stopping zones. The full floating disks and 800 degree pads could have got me through 20+ laps they were that good.

AYC? Not sure, it seemed very stable in the corners with the A048 semi's, never stepped out even on tight corners, and although there was torque steer, it still went the direction I pointed it. Very Go-cart like. :P

2nd gear was a waste of time, cornering in 3rd seemed fastest without wheelspin. 4th gear syncro's are a little grindy at 7k revs. It's the only gear I have issues with, and only at high revs. Might be getting a bit worn.

I had a ball, Sandown is a fun track but hard on brakes with 3 big stopping zones. The full floating disks and 800 degree pads could have got me through 20+ laps they were that good.

AYC? Not sure, it seemed very stable in the corners with the A048 semi's, never stepped out even on tight corners, and although there was torque steer, it still went the direction I pointed it. Very Go-cart like. :P

2nd gear was a waste of time, cornering in 3rd seemed fastest without wheelspin. 4th gear syncro's are a little grindy at 7k revs. It's the only gear I have issues with, and only at high revs. Might be getting a bit worn.

Oh nice! I need to do some more prep work before taking mine to the track ==; what brand were the pads/rotors? Project u by any chance?

AYC must be in top condition, otherwise you'd have an open rear diff :P Were you on coilovers? Haha yea evos come out of the factory track ready

Is your tranny on its way out? Old trannys with a built motor would reveal some of its hidden defects/abuse :P. Mitsubishi chadston parts and service sell brand new 5 and 6 speed transmissions for evo 8 and 9 with overnight pickup, think they go for about 3k if you are interested. Should fit a 7 considering its also CT9A. It would probably cost the same as overhauling your current one. Probably get it cheaper online, but yea something to think about in the near future.

Pads and front rotors were from Ivan at x3e motorsports, great guy.

No coilovers yet, although the factory ones are a little clunky sometimes, definitely time for a set. I was looking at MCA or Shockworks, but I am yet to do my research.

At least the boxes are reasonably priced. I have the 5 spd, but probably need the 6 if the final gear is longer, are they just as strong? I was nearly topping out 5th at Sandown. At Phillip Island I will probably run out of revs. I may look at rebuilding the current box myself if the syncro's are cheap enough...

Yea mine were pretty clunky to, especially around the bends, not sure if was worn rubber mounts or just worn shocks, invested in HKS coilovers, probably wont be as good as MCAs though :P Those are proper track spec!

Yea the gearbox goes for a good price, but unfortunately the 6 speed is rather weak compared to the 5 speeds, only good for about 400-450whp. 5 speed boxes are known to be much more durable, the track spec evo 9 RS had the 5 speeds, while the standard 9 GSR and MR had the 6 speeds. Not sure how the gear ratios are on the 6 speeds though, they top out at around 280kph.

Mine needs a brake pad replacement and new clutch soon. :(

RMBLBE-4_zps46e90e64.jpg

Pretty much stock except for removing restrictions in exhaust, lower IC pipe, turbo hotside pipe.

Terry-31_zps88d10629.jpg

Trying to 'hide' amongst the crowd.

Terry-26_zps99d1c5f7.jpg

It's a nice daily.

P1050288_zps600d2c03.jpg

Very nimble & stops on a penny.

P1050293_zps69ac1d2b.jpg

I've enjoyed your anecdotes above!!!

• Like 1

I have 2 excellent pics of an EVO and how they should end up,,,HA HA end up,,,I'm a funny bastard.

Sorry for the poor picture quality,,,I'll try and do better next time and there will be a next time.

post-29-0-07754300-1417408690_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-44268400-1417408706_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

Mine needs a brake pad replacement and new clutch soon. :(

Pretty much stock except for removing restrictions in exhaust, lower IC pipe, turbo hotside pipe.

Trying to 'hide' amongst the crowd.

It's a nice daily.

P1050288_zps600d2c03.jpg

Very nimble & stops on a penny.

I've enjoyed your anecdotes above!!!

Are those bilstein shocks i see ?? :P Were those factory fitted on the MRs? I originally wanted those shocks with lowering springs but they cost too much! 1000 dollars for 2 :/

Yes Derrick, they're stock on the MR.

I've got Bilsteins on my BNR32 GT-R N1 as well. Can't wait to get moving through corners in that.

Hope your suspension setup on the 7 works out!

Not mine but if I had stayed in Fiji a bit longer I would have bought this. A genuine bone stock Evo 3 GSR! One owner in Japan & it was imported by a local drag racing champion for his daughter..

post-100746-14174138721367_thumb.jpg

post-100746-14174138872122_thumb.jpg

Now it is owned by a crazy fellow who loves Evo's. Amongst his collection of the only Evo X and a 8sec Evo 2, he has turned this E3 into a 10 sec streeter...

post-100746-14174139936087_thumb.jpg

post-100746-14174140082411_thumb.jpg

post-100746-1417414055488_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Raj.