SAU Community

Worth Upgrading From Pfc To Haltec Platinum Pro?

BlackBox

Hi,

I have a R34 GTT running an apexi power FC computer,

After mentioning that I am going to a top mount Forced performance 3076 turbo I was told I should upgrade to a Haltec Platinum Pro.

E85 is not an option for me so there is no advantage there.

However the 2-stage launch control and flat shifting features of the Haltec interest me.

My boost is currently controlled by the PFC hand controller, but if I got the Haltec I would need to install another form of EBC?

I have also seen the map sensor only supports 1.5 bar of boost?

What advantage would the Haltec offer other than more tuning resolution (32x32 vs PFC 16) and the ability to ditch the Z32 afm

Appreciate any input and discussion

Anything that gets rid of the air flow meter is a step forward

Do not underestimate how much of a big deal no AFM's are.

Also I just upgraded to a haltech in my R34 and I couldn't recommend it more. Yes it can fully control boost if you buy the boost control solenoid and you can buy an external MAP sensor that will measure up to 5 bar (from memory). It also has much better knock control than the PFC

I would definitely recommend it if you're chasing big power, there's more inputs and outputs you can use to watch AFR's, intake and exhaust temp and like a million other things to keep you engine nice and safe

• Like 1

the turbo itself shouldn't be a reason to ditch the powerfc....and with that turbo you probably won't max out a Z32 Afm. It really depends what your goals with your car are.

the tuning resolution on PFC is 20x20 not 16x16

the newer ECU's do have more features as the others have already mentioned so these should be considered for your future planning, but for what you currently have you don't need to change ECU yet.

I recently switched from PFC to haltech, the car runs the best it ever has,

For me the benefits are no MAF is great, the PFC random cough thing is gone, boost intergration is nice, having a few extra IO points is handy for running others stuff you might add and full data logging for diagnosis

Of course the skills/ability/attention to detail of the tuner will have a big impact on how the car runs.

Boost control will work with your existing solenoid you'll just need wire it up to the haltech and I'd run the external MAP sensor regardless of your desired boost level,I don't really like running a vacuum line back I to the cab

If I was to do it again and wasn't going for flex fuel I'd still ditch the PFC.

All in all the haltec is a good system. Good functions and options. Just be mindful that it has intermittent problems in processing the cas signal which lead to timing variations of up to 20 degrees. Not the only system that does this either. That's why a pfc is always a safe bet if all the extra functions aren't needed.

If you are curious to learn about what your car is doing, and what an ECU can do, and monitor shit and .. really just 'see' more then yeah.

Haltech's stuff is super easy to understand. The fact you can plug right into where the stock ECU is is just gravy.

On a slightly different note. If I wanted to replace a PFC on an RB26 and keep the AFM's what ECU would be recommended?

i don't understand why you'd want to do this? but the plug and play haltec will do it