SAU Community

Resoldering R32 Tachometer

The tacho in my R32 GT-R is lying to me and telling me I'm idling at 6000rpm. Pissed me off enough to pull it out to fix it but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the face and needle off to resolder the circuit board underneath. Tried searching here, the web, youtube etc and nothing has shed light on it. I don't really just want to yank on it and break it if there is a simple solution.

Thanks guys.

Yank on it.

First move it to the max rev position stop and take note of where is pointing so you can put it back in the right spot later.

Edited by Ben C34

• 3 months later...

After about a week it started dancing around again, so I resoldered it again. I must have stuffed it up because the needle moves really slowly, like hit the rev limiter and it's climbing through 3k on the dial. Fed up with it now, going to replace the whole thing. Not going to buy a new cluster as it will probably start doing it as well, just going to rip out the tacho and stuff an aftermarket one in there. Went to order one online and realised I have no idea how big the dial is, I'm currently interstate and my car is getting some minor things fixed and a dyno tune done, so I can't measure it up. Does anyone know how big the hole in the surround is that the tacho pokes through? Can't find anything online.