SAU Community

Streaking Wax

Hadouken

All you detailing gurus out there, I need some advice.

I am being plagued by streaking wax, only on my bonnet.

I have searched and searched and they say it's either contaminants on the paint or not letting the wax cure long enough.

Now It doesn't matter if I let it cure 30 min 1 hour 2 hour even went as far as leaving it for 4 hours. Nothing makes a difference to it streaking.

Today I clayed and polished the bonnet with RO. Used a brand New pad for waxing (thought maybe a old pad was causing my issues) alas nil change. I have tried multiple waxes and nothing changes.

I have tried every speed setting on my RO with no result.

The only way I am getting around it is by using a damp cloth afterwards and even then it is some elbow grease and repetition to remove it.

FML midnight purple.

Any advice?

What kind of wax are you using mate? I'm guessing a liquid based synthetic polymer? Are you using a fairly slow speed setting on your machine?

When you say streaking do you mean it is difficult to remove in some areas or do you mean once you buff it off you are noticing streaks our in the sun?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to narrow down the issue :)

I have tried every speed setting. Usually I go for a slower speed and do 2 overlapping passes.

It is easy to remove the film of wax. It is not the white residue I am speaking of.

Once the wax is removed you can see the darker streaks on the paint which can be manipulated by a cloth.

I have tried synthetic, carnauba hydrophobic polymers the lot

Maybe something leftover on the paint after polishing? Like polishing oils. Try IPA or wax/grease remover after polishing but before wax application. Or add a glaze in between. Personally i use Dodo Juice Lime Prime light after polishing to prep for wax

Edited by junkie

wax your car in the sun.

I apply with a megs applicator pad by hand.....or with my own bare hands.

that is the best way to applicate, I avoid machines for waxing.

I use the straight line technique to apply then buff off with a microfiber towel in circles.

I do not get streaks doing it this way.

Having read what you have said, it now sounds like maybe using to much product? Especially when using a good quality high carnauba content wax (such as Dodo Juice, Swissvax etc.) you only need very small amounts and personally I would always apply them by hand as opposed to a machine as you are not needing pressure and heat to help you. Always ensure the panels are cool and never do it in the sun with carnauba waxes. You can only get away with doing it in the sun with synthetic polymers but even then I still wouldn't do it as panel temps can get over 60 degrees.

If you can easily manipulate the streaks just use a few different soft microfiber cloths (using good quality MF cloths is especially important here as cheapies will make the job much harder) and keep gently wiping away until all the residue is gone.

But it does sound to me like maybe using to much product so maybe give that a go. Also another thing to think about is with a lot of waxes once they are cured and removed, they are hydroscopic for the first 12-24 hours so avoid getting the car wet and they may leave a slight haze during this period due to absorbing moisture from the air (an annoying issue for me in such a high humidity climate of NQ).