SAU Community

Knocking Higher Then Normal

Mareko

So do what? Wait till its cooler?

That would still mean the tune was on an absolute knife edge.

So if you go back to the original question the OP put up - what would cause excessive knock.... My answer still stands......

So if you go back to the original question the OP put up - what would cause excessive knock.... My answer still stands......

Yep. Then his engine dies from maxed injectors.

Also, less dense air doesn't mean a lean mixture.

Edited by Ben C34

Yep. Then his engine dies from maxed injectors.

Also, less dense air doesn't mean a lean mixture.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I simply put up a variable that no-one had yet commented on in this thread.

You are right, less density in air doesn't always equate to leaning out, and i never said that in my post, but higher air temps can/will and have shown to increase overall engine temp, including combustion temps, therfore aiding in the cause of knock (tune or no tune)

What turbo? Adjustable actuator? External wastegate?

Dont think this has been mentioned yet, you might be able to turn the boost down that way

If it were me I'd ring ERD (I think Dan was having some personal problems so not sure if they are still open but worth a try) and get some info like what boost it was tuned at etc. Adjust boost back to that level or lower if possible

Do I see 46 degrees IGN when everything is maxed at around 7000?

Seems excessive.

They are peak values. So not necessarily at the same time.

If it was that engine would be dead!

if its leaning out so bad with the evident knock levels then just remove the e-clip in the actuator and disconnect the rod from the waste gate for no boost and set duty cycle at 95 or lower.

that is if its a daily and u cant get it sorted in time

Edited by Dan_J

The OP has a hand commander.

One great feature of the old Fc is the ability to do a mass change to maps and then return to "as was" at the next engine start.

If you get a crook batch of fuel, it's a piece of piss to pull 5 degrees from the whole IGN map and unless you're pushing the engine you won't notice much difference.

And why would you push an engine if you're concerned about knock.

Turbo is a to4e .63 rear I think

External wastegate is a epr 38mm can't really find anything on this wastegate other then expressparts use to sell them, and it was tuned by efi performance not erd my bad. I don't really want to change anything on controller as I have no idea what I'm doing, but I will give efi a call tomorrow and hopefully get it in for a tune .

Mate you have an Fc with hand commander.

They have a feature where you can do mass changes to maps very simply, not requiring ANY great skill.

As soon as you turn off and restart, those mass changes are forgotten and the Fc maps are exactly as they were.

I use this feature after copping a tank of poor fuel.

It's also useful info to give to your tuner. You can say your knock number dropped to "X" after removing "Y" degrees of timing for example.

Download and read the hand commander instructions and there's also Paul's massive how-to thread on SAU.

i found when my knock randomly went high this was usually due to a dodgy batch of fuel....you're at the limits of some of your setup, seeing as its your daily and you have a power fc...don't shag around...get a z32 afm new injectors and a decent fuel pump.

Just had a good look at it ..everything still connected where it should be and no leaks anywhere .. So took it for a drive bit risky but it's colder and was hoping for a miricale and boost went past 20psi when it should be 15 .. Any reason it would be letting more boost through ? Could it be a wastgate fault ?

Just had a good look at it ..everything still connected where it should be and no leaks anywhere .. So took it for a drive bit risky but it's colder and was hoping for a miricale and boost went past 20psi when it should be 15 .. Any reason it would be letting more boost through ? Could it be a wastgate fault ?

Yep. Or the line going to it.
  • Like 1

Maxed injectors and maxed AFM means its either boosting way higher than it should, or there is something seriously wrong with the tune.

Edit - Just read it is boosting to 20psi. What turbo are you running? TO4E means jack shit. There are about 20 different kinds of TO4E. BUt overall, you have a boost control issue is and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Keep it running like that and you'll need a new engine in about 2-3 days

Edited by The Mafia