SAU Community

Injector Sizing Issues

Gareth87

Hi All,

I've switched over everything to run E85 and for several reasons, the 1400cc injectors I had chosen won't work with my setup.

I don't seem to have many options for injector sizing but it looks as though I have to step down to 1000cc injectors.

Can anyone tell me what horsepower figure will max out a set of 1000cc injectors with a Walbro 460 on a 4 CYLINDER FJ 20.

I realise this depends on several things, but at present it made 400hp at 17psi on 98 octane. (I assume it will go over 450hp)

Any input would be great...

quite a few different reasons, but the crux is that I drop cyliders on low injector opening times.. and I can be sure that after 4hrs on the dyno, there is no chance I can run them. I realise they work very well in a lot of applications, including a mates car, which is why I went that way but it certainly isn't a tuning issue.

If you are having issues with low injector opening times I would be running primary and secondary injectors (as long as your ECU can do it.....Link G4+ Xtreme would be fine)

We had a similar problem with a 1000 odd HP 2JZ Supra road car running Siemens 2000cc injectors, the dual maps required to run E85 and 95 oct pump gas wasn't very nice, he switched to two sets of Bosch 1000cc injectors, now it runs the primary's on 95 and both on E85

No chance to setup dual injectors.. I would need to build a new manifold. If I can make 480 hp at the wheels on 1000cc injectors.. even if I have to boost the fuel pressure, then I'll be happy. But I'm hearing a lot of e85 results maxing out 1000s at less than 420hp.

Buy injector dynamic or bosche 2000's. They are proven.

Buy natural gas injectors because they are somehow better than new stainless body ethanol/methanol rated injectors? Right...

Shame you didn't buy the 1400's through me, I could have re-tested them free of charge Gareth. I have noticed lately many tuners have no idea how to tune anything other than EV14's, Cihan (etuner) and Trent (Chequered) have had no issues setting the 1400's up, and they run beautifully in my Evo.

What is your base fuel pressure, and what pressure is it on at idle? Try lowering the pressure for finer idle fuel control. More likely there is another issue, and your tuner is just blaming the injectors as usual...

These and most modern injectors require decent voltage, if your car has a resistor pack it needs to be removed. What is the voltage at the injector out of interest?

I see this is personal.

Wasn't having a dig. But if they work across the board then it says something doesn't it.

Not personal, other than I sell these injectors and field the same questions daily.

It's not my job to tune the car, yet surely a good tuner can work out some simple lag and voltage charts, especially when they are supplied... Is it really that hard? Perhaps they should stick to Sard injectors or carbies. :P

• Like 1

In my original post I was very careful in saying as little as possible about the injector. Fact is.. many cars run this injector with no issues at all as we've seen.

We thoroughly tested each injector and also moved the injector that was miss firing to another cylinder and the miss followed it to that cylinder.

Likelihood is the supplier might not have matched the set as you would Scotty. To get it to run on 4 cyl at cruise, each injector had to be trimmed slightly differently which as most of us know, this is not good without a pyro in each runner.

My only option is now to test another injector with my ecu and try it.

Fuel pressure was good and I don't know about injector voltage. Resistance was also checked. We really have gone to a lot of trouble to get it to work and this is not the first set of 1400s to come across my tuners dyno.

Process of elimination now..

Sorry for asking for the name, I didn't mean to start a flame war!

As you can understand I've been shopping around and was searching for the best quality injector for my setup... hence me asking the name, again sorry.

Scotty, I'll be in touch very shortly to order what we had discussed earlier.

Thanks - Dan

I don't think anyone is flaming here, I am just defending a great product recently released onto the market. As they are flow tested at the supplier the chances they are faulty out of the box are extremely slim. (unless they were damaged in transit) It is much more likely they don't like the FJ setup they are installed in, hence why I am trying to offer suggestions as to why they may be having issues. Large injectors are hard to get right at the best of times.

In such an old loom I would be replacing as much wiring as you can, especially on the injector and coil harnesses. Unless you have already rewired? 14V straight to the injector, even temporarily, may help.

You are saying they may not be flow matched, but that has very little to do with idle problems. The chances these 1400's have different dead times is doubtful too, but this is what mainly affects the idle, it can be caused by excess pressure and low voltage issues. Hopefully your tuner can sort it out for you anyway.

Have you thought about the ID1300s ?

If the miss is following the injector when it gets moved then it is the injector, what else what cause it to do that ?

What is the spray pattern of the 1400s, I looked at a lot of injectors when I bought mine ( the 1400s where not out then ) and had a few people suggest and injector with a wide spray for the standard 26 manifold, when I looked at everything realised that won't work as there is a 30-40mm long tube that is not much bigger then the injector which would mean the wide spray would simple wash the tube walls losing the mist needed for vaporising

I ended up with ID1300s as they have a narrow spray pattern meaning the spray clears the tube without out hitting it

Also what ECU are you using ? Just asking as I don't think that is the issues given the problem follow the injector

Hey All, Cheers for the feedback,

I am definitely not having blaming the 1400s.. They work in many applications without issues. Scotty is selling a great product and has been incredibly helpful to me throughout my build process.

It could be a number of things on my setup causing the miss but for whatever reason, the miss is following the injector which leads me to believe it is an injector issue at very low opening times. We can run it rich on cruise and it works, in fact, at 5% fuel to that injector on cruise also brings it back on 4 cylinders. As it's been suggested, the spray pattern could be an issue with my engine as well.

I have looked at the ID1300s and that will be my next plan by the looks of it. These injectors are bloody expensive though.

My Old Wolf V4 is running the injectors well, which I am blown away by, we measured each injector plug with an oscilloscope while it was running and the wolf is doing what it's supposed to be doing. I was almost prepared to buy a new ECU but we really don't believe this is the drama.

Who's using the ID1300s at the moment? XKLABA, how did they tune up?

As far as I know they tuned up well, my tuner is an ID dealer and who i bought them from so even if there was an issue I don't know he would have told me lol, when I was looking at them he had fitted and tuned two sets on EVOs and said they where better then anything he had tuned before on EVOs and that I would be better off uping the base pressure on the 1300s then going 2000s unless I really had to

My car drives perfectly, even at low RPM with less then 2% throttle there is no issues no hiccups no popping

Only thing is I have no idea on duty cycle as I haven't made the MFD work with this setup yet :(

The car is running on E80 atm and it has a Syvecs S8 ecu