SAU Community

Importing A R34 Gtr

Hi all,

In the past I've had the 31, 32, 33 and 34 Skylines (GX, Gtst, Gtst S2 and GTT), now its come the time to buy a GTR.

I could get the 32 and 33 however being almost 2m the cars are way too small for me (I was smaller when i had the other versions).

Now i know the 34gtr will still be a tight fit, but ill also make sure to extend/replace the rails that are OEM on the car so the car is comfty on those weekend drives.

Bascially speaking when i buy it, it will be kept until the last of my days.

What I wanted to know is - what is a better option to go with GTR, VSpec 1 or 2?

I know what the general differneces are of each model, but if you were in the situation would you just buy a nice clean example of a VSpec1 and give it some TLC? or get the basic model and upgrade the brakes and put the diffusers in?

Im looking to spend about $50k so any advice of some experiences owners would be great.

Thanks all

I'd go vspec2 if you can find one for that price in good cond. But if you can't find a clean vspec i'd look at the normal gtrs.

If I was you i'd rather have an immaculate gtr than a destroyed vspec2. but you can always fix issues up as well.

But by the sounds of it, you're more experience than me. You'd know more.

With a budget of $50,000 Milan you are already at the upper or upper-middle end of what V-Spec BNR34s are going for now.

So ignoring the idea that you might ferret a budget for modifying, I'd go for the V-Spec.

The V-Spec II at the lower end of the spectrum might go for about $58,000 and up.

The hard time to sell is now, so you might be lucky.

If you're prepared to wait a few months after buying one in Japan at auction, you might be able to squeeze a good V-Spec II within your budget.

Y4,000,000 + AUD$10,000 for exporter/freight/freight insurance/port storage/importer/Aust Gov't/compliancing/registration

• Like 1

Always bringing sound advice with facts & numbers to back it up. Kudos to you Terry!

A V-Spec is what I would choose & if the budget allowed, the next choice would be a Nur..

Milan, all the best in your search for a BNR34 :)

Thanks for the reply guys.

From what I can tell the extra $ you are paying for the Vspec 2, its better to spend on the Vspec 1 and make the furthrer changes you want - brakes/disks and cosmetics.

Im in talks in J-Spec (Im located in SE Melb and if you have any other reputable importers im more then happy to talk to) about importing a nice model I dont mind the wait or if the car has done some mileage as it will be a weekend car to be worked on and driven not much else. I've imported a Nissan Lauren C33 from NZ (family car we owned since it had 101kms o the clock, until it finallly died at 309,000kms.....amazing car) and unless you know the process or the right people it was a head case. So im after an importer that knows what they are doing and will finalise the docks-registration phase.

Some of the immediate mods are bigger radiator, bigger oil cooler (not sure if its needed but always good to have for those hot days) discs/brakes and good old service. Then down the line maybe some more performance based stuff - but thats down the line.

I could push the budget to $60k, however I wanted the max to be about the 40-50k mark and have ample funds spare for some mods. Thanks again all - apprecaite it.

I would seriously buy one with the best chasis you can, forget the model.

A clean car chasis is getting harder to find.

As for the models:

GTR: Lightest car with mechanical diffs

VSpec: Front and rear diffuser

V-Spec ii: Black interior and carbon bonnet

Australians have this obsession with v-specs.... they arent better, only car that is significantly better from factory is a nur.

Also look at something that has mods already (will save you a MASSIVE amount), and be prepared to rebuild at some point (15k for the motor).

Edited by sinistaGTR

• 1 month later...

I've been in contact with some importing businesses and a few individuals on their 34 GTR's and taking into consideration my financial status - its easier for me to buy a 33 gtr and spend the extra money on the mods.

34 - will be around $50,000 if I'm lucky, where as the 33's can be picked up from 25-35k and can spend the rest of some mods.

Any thoughts?

I just loved the look of the 34 Gtr's and always wanted one, but I wouldn't mind having a "sperm whale" as they say.

There are differences between the two however its still a GTR and you can make them look nice and clean.