SAU Community

Picking The Right M35.....

Captain Wow

Hey all,

The Mrs has decided to come over to the dark side and nab herself a M35 Stagea as her next car. I was wanting the opinions of people in the know, more than I, what the best model of the M35 is. On a quick search I see there is around 6 or so sub-variants of the car, and as I've never owned a M35, I'd not have a clue which one was better than the other.

The car will ultimately be a kiddy wagon, however, that by no means, means it has to be boring ;)

Anyways, let the opinions begin!

Cheers,

- Lance

Depends how much you want to spend. New regulations make it difficult to comply 250s so all newer ones tend to be 350s which have the same power as the 250 turbos. For example TradeMe auction 83300352 a 350 with 67K for $11k

250s are to be had from $5k but it may pay to look for one that has had the $2k cam chain replacement job done!

The pm35 (series 2) is probably the better every day car. The nm35 2.5t model is the better performance option.

Other then that it is more a staying difference between those sub models then an actual model difference. Even some low grade cars with stock outside can have everything the higher models had if the owner ticked the boxes

Cool, thanks for the input so far guys. To a point, money isn't a problem so I'm not too worried there. Okay, well if the 3.5's have the same power output then I'll probably go off the hunt for a 25T as it'll have more potential for issues which is not what I want for this car. Besides, that's what the C34 is for lol.

- Lance

Depends how much you want to spend. New regulations make it difficult to comply 250s so all newer ones tend to be 350s which have the same power as the 250 turbos. For example TradeMe auction 83300352 a 350 with 67K for $11k

250s are to be had from $5k but it may pay to look for one that has had the $2k cam chain replacement job done!

Interesting about the cam chain replacement. When does it need doing? I ask this because my original RMR30 did 600ks and was never replaced.

If I was buying again I'd go for a PM35 (RWD) due to the greater crossover of parts with G35s and 350Zs. Having said that the only thing that even slightly worries me about my PNM35 is around-town fuel consumption, and now prices are down even that's not such a hassle.

They're fantastic family wagons and I have yet to run out of space when taking the family away, I normally find myself looking for more things to put in the boot to stop everything bouncing around.

Interesting about the cam chain replacement. When does it need doing? I ask this because my original RMR30 did 600ks and was never replaced.

It doesn't, unless it has never been serviced, or the K's are stupidly wound back.

Have owned both a 250t RS Four and (currently) a 350RX Four.

Go the 3.5. Interior (everything) is much nicer. Exterior is nicer. Transmission is nicer. AWD system is easier (no need to worry about external pumps). Engine is common although the 2.5t is much better for cheap performance.

3.5 is a better drive in factory spec. if you are modding, anything up to 6-7k will see significant performance increases with the 2.5t and okay increases with the 3.5.

If you are spending big for performance ($15k+), you will get more out the 3.5 but it will require stronger internals.

Neither have to be "boring" (brakes, suspension and bracing perk up the drive quite a bit) and both make an excellent kiddy wagon.