SAU Community

Driver Dynamics Sat 31st Sandown

LotusGTR

Anyone else coming? I'll be there in my 32R. First time out in a long time, and even longer for my GTR. Had oil changed, front rotors machined, got the track rims and tyres re-balanced (just a precaution). Lots of little things still to do.

I've had vents put into the front of the front wheel liner to create airflow through the oil cooler, and also brake ducts run from the front bar to the center of the rotors. Be interesting to see if that helps keep temps more under control. First time on the track with my 9L sump too so hopefully there will be no spun bearings for me...

Weather looks good enough. Nice and cool with a possible shower.

• Like 2

Yep I'm in! I gave the R34 a basic service over the long weekend with fresh fully synthetic, oil filter, re-gapped spark plugs, air filter, AFM clean and new windshield wipers, hopefully all ready to go.

Last time I was at Sandown was in the Monaro years ago, I'm very interested to see how the current 275 rwkw forced induction compares to 293 rwkw N/A back then :)

Ps. That's a very drool-worthy list of cars you've got there Nick

Yep I'm in! I gave the R34 a basic service over the long weekend with fresh fully synthetic, oil filter, re-gapped spark plugs, air filter, AFM clean and new windshield wipers, hopefully all ready to go.

Last time I was at Sandown was in the Monaro years ago, I'm very interested to see how the current 275 rwkw forced induction compares to 293 rwkw N/A back then :)

Ps. That's a very drool-worthy list of cars you've got there Nick

I too dream of a Mazda 6!

R34 GTT guy with no name, I'll see you there :)

Tony, would love to participate more, but with 3 young kids and a business, time is the killer. I'll try to make more of an effort though.

Birds, sadly the prime of my stable, the Mazda6, has been sold :( . Happily it's been replaced by this nice 335i which is running some mods and is about 100hp up on factory power. It's very fast (does a mean burnouts) and also refined and luxurious etc. Highly recommended daily. I picked mine up for $30k (plus the cost of the mods) so they're hardly expensive either. I'll have to update my profile now

post-46395-0-06580800-1422483402_thumb.jpg

post-46395-0-88509900-1422483409_thumb.jpg

post-46395-0-94174500-1422483421_thumb.jpg

post-46395-0-72758100-1422483432_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't know they came in wagon form? Doesn't look too bad and very good value at that price point. Good competition for Subaru's quick wagons and the Audi soccer mums on steroids!

Tony, would love to participate more, but with 3 young kids and a business, time is the killer. I'll try to make more of an effort though.

Don't be soft mate - I'm sure you can make it out once/twice this year to a round with us all :D

Motorsport is the one time you need to be fair to the wife because it's costly as shit and a lot of time not spent with her...

Which is why so many tarmac/club rally navigators are wife of the driver ;)

Thoughts? Block off some of the front bar vents to encourage higher airflow speed and stability through the oil cooler and brake ducts? End result being lower temps?post-46395-14225979996616_thumb.jpg

Edited by LotusGTR

Ducting around everything so the air has no choice but to go through them... ends up being high pressure air in front, low pressure behind... air flows through it

R34 GTT guy with no name, I'll see you there :)

Birds, sadly the prime of my stable, the Mazda6, has been sold :( . Happily it's been replaced by this nice 335i which is running some mods and is about 100hp up on factory power. It's very fast (does a mean burnouts) and also refined and luxurious etc. Highly recommended daily. I picked mine up for $30k (plus the cost of the mods) so they're hardly expensive either. I'll have to update my profile now

Nice!

Had a look on car sales and couldn't find a wagon version! Must be rare!

V28VX37sorry but I can't remember your name. Please accept my apologies. Nice to meet you.

Great day from my perspective. Weather was perfect, and the car ran great - never felt stronger. Oils temps were under control, brakes were OK, but actually I would have expected them to have been better considering they're APs. Chassis-wise, the car has a great neutral stance and can be steered on the throttle really well (since Racepace Teins fitted). Not too much understeer either. Tyres were well past their best, but that probably added to the fun, if not taken away from my lap times. Best was a 1.27 which is disappointing, but fun was had. New camera took excellent images but the sound is fked. Have to figure out how to make that work properly - perhaps with an external mic located in the right place.

Look forward to the next one.

Edited by LotusGTR

Thanks Nick, likewise!

Yes indeed it was a fantastic day, great fun! I have no skill but at least there was an improvement between the morning and the afternoon :) I overcooked turn 1, it can be pretty scary at those speeds. Also Harry's LapTimer was excellent in having a rough gauge on how things were going.

Best part though was when I jokingly asked the owner of this insane car if he does passenger rides and he said yes - what a legend!
16389899496_e988a16bc2_z.jpg
  • Like 1

Ah, you mean this one? I have a great video of the start of your joyride. PM me your mobile and I'll send it to you're interested ;)

Thanks heaps, that would be awesome! Hey I think your inbox is full, can't PM, will try again tomorrow.