SAU Community

Link Plugin R32 Rb26 Over 1000hp

I am looking to buy either LINK Plug in or Haltech plug in!

About the Link what else I will need except a map sensor?
IAT I have read that I can use the stock? True?
Boost solenoid? Can I use just an aftermarket solenoid or I must buy from LINK?

Is it easy on LINK ecu to have engine protection for AFR and Oil Press?
If AFR>13.0 & BOOST>20psi rpm limit 300rpm (engine off)

If OILPRESS<45psi & BOOST>1psi rpm limit 300rpm (engine off)

This is very easy on Haltech ecu but I don't know about LINK

Also oil press sensor I must buy from link or something else?
Wideband just an AEM wideband with 0-5analog connected to the ecu?

Haltech have a can wideband for faster and better connection (I am not sure if it is better than just an analog 0-5)

How I will read speed? From ABS sensor?
I need any module or I will just connect it to the ecu?

Engine protection from oil pressure is a crock, it's too late by that stage. Can be good for logging though.

A wideband is great, as long as it's working accurately, don't know if I trust it for your purposes... Unless you have a pair for redundancy. Just use it as a gauge for backup.

Stock sensors are not up to the task generally, better to buy the Link/Haltech gear. As for the boost solenoid, just buy an industrial MAC valve off Egay.

Keep it simple, the less sensors and wiring you have, the less chance they will fail and toast your engine.

For a few more bucks and a little work the Link Extreme will be a worthwhile investment for your over 1000hp engine.

I have one of the high sensitivity oil pressure sensors which I haven't used (will work with any aftermarket ecu). PM me for a cheap delivered price.

Engine protection from oil pressure is a crock, it's too late by that stage. Can be good for logging though.

A wideband is great, as long as it's working accurately, don't know if I trust it for your purposes... Unless you have a pair for redundancy. Just use it as a gauge for backup.

Stock sensors are not up to the task generally, better to buy the Link/Haltech gear. As for the boost solenoid, just buy an industrial MAC valve off Egay.

Keep it simple, the less sensors and wiring you have, the less chance they will fail and toast your engine.

You really think that having your ECU monitor your oil pressure is pointless? I have no idea about the reaction some of the sensors but surely it can't hurt. I understand a seconds worth of oil starvation at 8k RPM is extremely detrimental to the engine but surely something is better than nothing in this regard?

You could even use the stock R33 oil pressure sensor.. it contains a sensor & a switch for the dash.

The switch could be wired into the ECU, so when there's no pressure the ECU can cut spark/fuel instead of using a pressure reading... downside to this method is say the car has low pressure but still enough oil pressure the ECU will still allow the motor to run.

• johnnilicte are you kidding?

The stock sensor will send signal when oil pressure will be VERY low.

• If the engine normally at WOT have oil press 5BAR I want the ecu to CUT OFF if the oil press will be less than 4BAR!!!
  • For IAT I agree I will put an GM sensor.
  • For speed input there is a problem. ABS sensors send analog signal. And I think that Haltech/Link can read only DIGITAL signal.

So I need either a converter module from analog to digital(VR to HALL) and I don't know price or models.

• OR to replace the abs sensor with a hall sensor.

Anyone have done this before?

Anyone who knows if the GT101 honeywell fits in GTR abs place?

• KiwiRS4T

W

hat do you mean high sensitive? Isn't it like all oil press sensors? Like the sensors of gauges?

• scotty nm35

I want to believe that wouldn't be so late. The ecu can cut off the engine in 0seconds.

• Without oil de-revving the engine from 8000 to 0 will be so catastrophic?
  • Think that at the time that engine will cut off the head will be full oil oil... This oil will go down to the engine..
  • So which part will damage?

Ok ok maybe it will be too late.. I don't believe that 100% will safe my engine.. But I have possibilities to really safe it.. Or to make small damage only...

It is better to think possitive :)

Oil in the head won't lubricate anything really in a pressure loss situation.

Rather than put much thought into an engine protection ecu feature, why not direct that energy into ensuring a stable oil supply?

An accusump would be an option, but if you are serious about 1000hp a decent pump is the only way to go. I would be running an external pump personally.

How safe do you think cutting all engine power in the track will be at full noise?

Is there a chance that could cause a serious crash?

Given the option I'd rather a damaged engine than a smashed car or worse. But i f you use a decent pump what's the worry?

Dead engine of course. Which means it was a shit engine to start with.

I've seen blocks crack in drag cars. Not pumps fail on 1000hp builds.

What pump are you planning on using that makes you so worried about it breaking.?

oil pressure sensor isn't a waste of time... if for some reason you suck your oil pan low and suck up air your pressure will drop off from like 5 bar to 4 bar if you have protection set up that could stop you from going through all 4 gears and address the problem.

if your oil pump break that's a different story especially if your under high rev.

at 1000hp a dry sump is a chap investment

Show me a drag car that lost oil pressure during a pass then.

Why are you so worried about it.?

I can, lost it on the launch and next 2 gear changes, oil pressure light didnt flicker, haltech logged it though.

You know whos Supra that was Scotty.....at the SM1000

It was because the oil tipped to a 45 degree angle and uncovered the pickup while pulling high Gs on slicks and at 8000Rpm.

Teardown of the motor showed things as OK, however having a cut out on a 1/4mile car can be a good thing.

Take it back to the pits, check the logging to find out why and minimise the engine damage.

So Greeces13, your ideas are fine, your on the right track with your thinking....

Sure Accusump will help as would 100 other oil mods, however monitoring and putting failsafe devices into your build is a good thing.

• Like 1

car loosing oil pressure is nothing new. when i had just switched my 26 into a s15 shell we used a stock 25 pan as it was rwd ....after a couple months of driving and installing a oil pressure gauge we realize the oil pressure was dropping off from 5 bar to 3 bar during pulls..fortunately we never rev pass 6000 rpm but when it was a time for a rebuild the moto looked like it had done 30000 miles on the bearing while it only did 1500... the crank wasn't damage but bearings were in a terrible state..

a engine will survive slightly low oil pressure for period of time..so if u have a way of monitoring it use it..

i now run a 9L sump with baffles and don't get the issue anymore on flat roads.

One thing i should add is you dont really need a cutout when monitoring things, a simple alarm like a warning light/alarm is all you really need if your worried about a hard cut.

Most of the better ECU's you can set the low or high point of what you monitoring to kick in well before engine damage occours.

Thanks for your replies!

I like that there are some people that thinks that it deserve to monitoring oil press and failsafe my engine.

The same fail safe I will have with wideband!

Can you imagine the result if I will have sudden problem with fuel system? Injectors, FPR, FPR hose (the most usually)

In a drag car like this the gauges are useless.
Warning lights too!
When I will drive this monster for sure I cannot see gauges and lights! :)

Solution is only one! Engine protection for anything you want to monitor.